I want to add a smiley - IT dipstick cry for help!

(14 Posts)
RafflesWay Mon 31-Dec-12 12:24:20

I love the smileys, flowers, wine etc. that MN have created for us to automatically add to posts but all the time I have been a MNetter I have never figured out how to use them. If I try copying and pasting the icon I just get a web address comes up after pasting. I use an iPad so is it not possible to use them with the iPad or am I doing something wrong please? I know you will probably think I am such a dipstick but IT definitely a mystery to me.

ToffeePenny Mon 31-Dec-12 12:33:38

You need to use square brackets [ and ] which are on the 3rd keyboard on the ipad (marked #+=) then inside them put in the expression you want i.e. smile, grin, fsmile, biscuit, wine, brew, thanks etc with no spaces. They usually have an explanation underneath where you post comment that explains this.

ToffeePenny Mon 31-Dec-12 12:34:07

Try it type one of these
[

ToffeePenny Mon 31-Dec-12 12:34:24

Then this:
Smile

ToffeePenny Mon 31-Dec-12 12:34:41

Then this
]

RafflesWay Mon 31-Dec-12 16:28:14

[http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/4.gif]. No still just getting this web address when I copy and paste smile icon. [http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/thanks.png] or this when I copy and paste flowers icon despite using square brackets. Is it anything to do with "convert links automatically" which I have not ticked as haven't a clue what that is? Sorry toffee - Told you I was an IT dipstick!

usualsuspect3 Mon 31-Dec-12 16:31:37

[ smile ]

Or : ) without the spaces smile

nannynick Mon 31-Dec-12 16:31:41

Do not copy and paste the web address for Mumsnet icons.
You need to use the special codes such as smile

usualsuspect3 Mon 31-Dec-12 16:33:23

[ thanks ] gives you thanks

nannynick Mon 31-Dec-12 16:34:28

The Mumsnet iPad app lets you add them easily
brew thanks
Just push the icon above they onscreen keyboard.

If using Safari, you need to learn the codes such as [ smile ] (without the spaces) to get smile

NatashaBee Mon 31-Dec-12 16:34:48

Are you using the mumsnet app on your iPad or just going to the web page via the Internet?

If you download the app, the smileys appear below the text box when you type a reply to a post and you can just tap the smiley you want to use.

wink See? grin

RafflesWay Mon 31-Dec-12 21:06:40

Ooh will try the app instead thanks everyone. I have just been accessing via Internet previously. Will let you know how I get on and mega thanks for not calling me a plonker even if it would be well deserved. smile

RafflesWay Mon 31-Dec-12 21:10:48

Hahaha!!! Got it! Just tested typing the word smile inside the brackets and once posted it brought up the icon. Toffee this is obviously what you were trying to explain originally. So to toffee, usual, nanny and Natasha - thanks and sorry for being so confused

MissDD1971 Tue 20-Aug-13 14:59:44

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now