please consider ...

(39 Posts)
NetworkGuy Mon 10-Dec-12 17:28:47

... adding a way to link to a specific post. You have ways to report a post (which is how I've found out the posting number) but no simple way to get a link for posting on another thread. Ideally it would be nice to have a link like

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other/a1290044#27177920

rather than http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other/a1290044-a-very-ong-topic-which-I-am-making-up-as-I-go-along#27177920

Incidentally, I just tried the first link above on an iMac (OSX 10.6.8)

Link works fine using CHROME browser and shows the posting by BadgersPaws

Try it with Safari (the default Apple browser) and it does not go to the specific posting in the thread.

Probably a Safari issue, but maybe Tech can see if they know why only the second form (with the correct title) works, and shows the specific post.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Tue 11-Dec-12 13:13:41

grin It's worked for about a year. More or less.

you can also strike out a whole sentence

as opposed to each word

and italicize as well

NotWankinginaWinterWonderland Tue 11-Dec-12 14:51:29

Oh cool lots better

I left and you had to * each word back then. blush Thank you

NetworkGuy Tue 11-Dec-12 15:23:02

Thanks Tech - yes had assumed there was something dumb going on with Safari and wrote Apple instead of my real feelings about it, which might have offended someone smile

Back to the question then, could you not
a) provide a short link facility showing {threadID}#{postID} and
b) take account of a shortened links ending {threadID}#{postID} and rewrite them with the full text and then append #{postID} so even buggy Safari will work smile

NetworkGuy Tue 11-Dec-12 15:28:23

NWWW - glad you're happier now about the changes MN made, courtesy of Tee (who is probably around 10 years younger than me, so more up to date on some things, no doubt).

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Wed 12-Dec-12 08:05:53

Probably not, actually, NW, unless you are in your fifties? Which, of course, you might be!

I'm just a bigger geek than you. grin

NetworkGuy Wed 12-Dec-12 18:19:34

I've been programming, networking and dabbling with databases for coming up to 35 years, though I might still feel some older methods and devices have benefits over the newer, poorer, replacements (I'm thinking of how some consider Facebook more useful than E-Mail, what Twitter / SMS and IM/irc have done to the grammar and spelling (mostly if not entirely negative) as two quick examples).

NetworkGuy Wed 12-Dec-12 18:20:46

PS at about 130 kg (which I plan to reduce by 50 kg), I suspect I'm a 'bigger geek' than you, not that I'd want to flatten anyone smile

IceTheChristmasKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 15-Dec-12 12:23:22

<blinks politely at all the tech talk>

NetworkGuy did you get an answer for your question?

While I'm here, the latest app update should have fixed the < > problem, so you can all see how hilarious I am......

NetworkGuy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:20:42

Thanks for the response, Kate...

yes, I did get a reply, in the negative...

"BUT that doesn't help your desire for a shorter URL of course."

It really would be handy for there to be a short way to link to a specific post... (think how many 'URL shortening' services exist, and why... so one could include a link in a tweet or similar {not that I personally use Twitter, but would find it useful to link from one thread directly into another on MN})

Ignoring the fact that Safari doesn't work properly, while other browsers do, it looks as if one has to post a lot more to get to a particular post in a long thread than could be the case {if your Tech bods made some shorter way} and there isn't actually a way to just copy and paste the link {though thanks to BB, using bookmarking can help} which would be the case if Tech bods added a bit of code that would tack an extra item alongside the part that says ' Add message | Report | Message poster ' (above the text of individual posts)

NetworkGuy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:24:02

If you look back at my post from Tuesday 02:02:54 last week, and go off to thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5607.html you will see the text 'link to this item' (and that's the sort of ting I was suggesting for MN.

NetworkGuy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:25:39

NB on that side, the link is at the bottom of the news item...

[ Topic: Regulation | 14 comments | link to this item ]

NetworkGuy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:27:47

ooooppps -> on that SITE ... (and 'sort of THING' in earlier post)

I haven't been drinking Baileys all afternoon, hic, oh no sir...

BertieBotts Mon 17-Dec-12 21:47:17

I know what you mean, it is a bit of a workaround to have to bookmark something or the other way is to click on a poster's name from threads I'm on and then it goes directly to their post, but that only shows the last 5 posts, of course.

I'm not (personally) seeing the need for URL shortening, but it would be handy to have a link which just says "Link" or "Link to this post" or something like that, that contains the URL of that particular post using the #number. Since there's not a quick way to see that otherwise smile

BertieBotts Mon 17-Dec-12 21:49:54

Just to clarify, Tech, you said this:

"Just as an aside, as you know, if you use the correct URL in the first place - the one you get from "show all" on the thread, then append the message number after a # all should be well."

That is all well and good but there is no way as a standard user to be able to see the individual message number. (Aside from by bookmarking which is a bit of a workaround). I don't know if staff are able to view this, hence the confusion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now