hide poster option

(191 Posts)
FivesAndNorks Fri 23-Nov-12 11:15:34

I seem to remember mnhq saying they would consider this, has any decision been made? I would love you all forever, even more than I do now smile

Jacksmania Sat 24-Nov-12 02:06:44

I don't think a blurb saying "you have chosen to hide this poster" would help me personally. Just seeing some posters' names makes me feel quite stabby. I'd be thinking, "oh yeah, whatserface is first topost on a thread again, WTF, has she got a bell in her computer that bongs every time someone starts a thread, just fuck off already, will you" grin

You'd really have to hide the poster's name as well as the post.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 07:58:03

just hide poster would work for me.

grin Sorry Edna have just noticed you're on here.

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 11:29:06

<<waves>>

germyrabbit Sat 24-Nov-12 11:33:42

i think if it comes to the fact that you actually want to HIDE people who post on here, maybe you should find somewhere else to post

the beauty of mn is that it's an open forum and everyone's views are heard, if you like them or not.

hiding people really isn't in the spirit of the site imo, how hard is it just to ignore posters you disagree with?? you must spend hours of your life being riled by strangers otherwise

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 11:43:28

Supposed trolls seem to anger people a lot, though, and if they were ignored, they would just go to another site. So it would be very effective in stopping trolling.

grin <<waves back>>

Even though I thought I'd hidden you angry sad

Trills Sat 24-Nov-12 11:56:42

Oh, leave them alone.

Poor MNHQ.

Even if they agree it's a good idea, they are hardly likely to tell you so now.

If they tell you "yes we will do that" then you'll be forever nagging as to when you'll get it. And the people who don't want it to exist will start shouting again.

And they'll try to get it done quickly, but these things take time, and sometimes they take ore time than you expect, so if they tell you an estimate of when it'll be done to shut you up it might run on and then you'll be complaining again because it isn't on time.

So the easiest policy is to not tell you that they are doing it at all until it's nearly finished. And not to tell you a date for when it will be delivered until it is completely done.

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 12:01:37

Yes, we know secrecy and opacity is the name of the game. Still we can always try for transparency.

Trills Sat 24-Nov-12 12:21:56

It's about managing expectations.

If you are panning to do it, say "we're thinking about it"

If you are actually doing it, say "we plan to do this"

If you have already done it (but not yet deployed it) say "we are working on it"

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 12:51:22

Or you can say: TSSDNCOP or whatever it is.

Mintyy Sat 24-Nov-12 13:24:21

germyrabbit - it isn't about hiding posters who disagree with you. Its about hiding posters who seriously get on your tits. I have one or two who if they turn up on a thread then I just simply have to leave it. You know how there are some people who you go out of your way to avoid in rl?

I have no problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with me, and no problem with having the odd argument either. Its all forgotten more or less immediately from my pov. With just a couple of exceptions grin.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 13:40:44

Yes, there are plenty of posters I actually argue with that will remain unhidden. MN is about debate. But there are some posters that I fundamentally do not get and we have the same tiresome argument over and over again. I struggle to not respond to what they're saying but it's petty and I'd really rather not.

SoupDragon Sat 24-Nov-12 13:45:53

I am completely against this. It is rude and childish IMO and, just because other forums do it, doesn't make it a good idea.

I always thought that MNHQ's stance on it was "No" rather than "think about it" though.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 13:51:55

I find myself being rude and childish sometimes on this forum and I really think this would help. I'm under no illusions, I know people would hide me too.

SoupDragon Sat 24-Nov-12 14:10:27

I suspect it wont make any difference to how rude and childish you are. wink

Ignoring people is shit and stupid and people will be able to tell.

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 14:18:12

It would stop people being rude for effect.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 14:27:02

It would just stop e rising to the bait. but I'm sorry I come across as childish, maybe soething I need to address.

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 14:31:16

You are right, it might increase self-awareness, which would be a terrific thing and make the world a better place for everyone in it. wink

SoupDragon Sat 24-Nov-12 14:31:35

But it wouldn't stop you "being rude for effect" or being "childish" (and clearly you missed the wink at the end of my post). That would ony work if you hid every single poster or stopped posting. And that would be rather dull.

If you need the ability to hide posters in order to control your behaviour, then maybe you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 14:34:02

Soupy, it would stop some people being rude for effect because fewer people would see them being rude for effect. So discussion would continue, ignoring the rudeness as if it wasn't there. Because for people who had hidden that poster, the rudeness would indeed NOT be there.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 14:35:11

It would reduce the amount of time I spend responding to the comments. And I didn't miss the wink, but didn't feel the wink negated your previous sentence in its entirety.
And yes, I am sure it's my behaviour that is in question, but why shouldn't I do what I can to reduce my bad behaviour? Some of it will be in my reaction, some of it will be about reducing exposure. I don't watch TOWIE because I know my blood pressure will rise and I'll end up shouting at the screen. I could not MN at all but I'd prefer to MN with certain sources of rising blood pressure hidden from me. It wouldn't affect the hidee's MN experience at all - as it should be. It's entirely personal, as some people hide topics.

FancyPuffin Sat 24-Nov-12 14:40:09

If I hid every single poster then that would mean Mumsnet would be all mine.

This pleases me grin

EdnaScoggins Sat 24-Nov-12 14:42:12

Yes, I'm sure that point has been made on a previous thread. Open house for narcissists - they could talk to themselves all day and night without fear of disagreement. grin

I'd bloody love this. I've raised it in the past.

Currently there is one single poster making me consider getting the hell out of here, if I didn't have to read it I'd be far happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now