Can anyone recommend me a villa on a Greek Island for next year?

(28 Posts)
Iamblossom Sun 22-Jun-14 18:01:13

We have stayed in a stunning villa in Crete three years running, and want to try somewhere else next year. I am happy to recommend it on here if anyone is interested?

We would be looking for a home from home, good pool. Walkable to tavernas/beach/bars ideally.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Iamblossom Mon 23-Jun-14 07:44:07

Bump

winnertakesitall Mon 23-Jun-14 10:00:25

Ok- no actual recommendations for villas (as we stayed in a B&B), but I would highly recommend the island of Naxos. Sleepy, yet good restaurants, and very family friendly. No direct flights, but can get there either by flying from Rome, or by boat from Santorini.

Iamblossom Mon 23-Jun-14 10:53:59

Thanks a lot Winner. I haven't heard of Naxos before and will look into it. flowers

I am really looking for tried and tested super villas though if anyone can help me out? They vary so much in quality, space, amenities and location, I would really like to reduce the risks by hearing about other people's good experiences......we are paying £1300 a week for two weeks in August in Crete and would be looking for about the same rates...we always hire a car but I'd to hear if anyone knows places where you can walk to some local amenities...

All help much appreciated oh lovely Mumsnet!!!

Iamblossom Mon 23-Jun-14 15:20:36

Shamelessly bumping....grin

Iamblossom Mon 23-Jun-14 18:48:45

Bumping for the evening holiday goers.....

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 24-Jun-14 10:57:46

I am watching this as we quite fancy Greece next year too and would be looking for the same kind of thing smile

defineme Tue 24-Jun-14 11:02:12

Could you link your crete villa please? Did you find reasonable flights?
sorry to be no help!

Iamblossom Tue 24-Jun-14 16:25:23

Here is the Villa in Crete we are staying in this August, it will be our second visit. The pool is huge. We are getting a discount for staying a second time. The owners are lovely and give you masses of info plus full directions. You would need a car.

It is on a cliff top between two villages, both with beaches shops and loads of restaurants. It says no kids on the blurb because they would be concerned about them launching themselves off the cliff but ours were 5 and 7 when we first went and there really is no issue with it at all, it's quite clear where they should not go. Loads of different rooms inside to hang in, big fully fitted kitchen with all mod cons, two different outside eating areas, plus a roof top relaxing areas, BBQ, proper living room with decent size tv for chilling in the evenings. Stunning views across the bay, you can hear the sea from your bedroom....I can't recommend it highly enough.

We have been spoilt with this one, and I am keen to find another one as good!!

Iamblossom Tue 24-Jun-14 16:26:23

the flights this year were odd times and expensive though so that is another reason we are looking at other options.

Iamblossom Tue 24-Jun-14 19:52:29

Bumping in the hope someone can help!!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 25-Jun-14 11:22:30

That looks lovely Iam, I will make a note of that one smile

dreamingofsun Wed 25-Jun-14 11:51:16

we went to rhodes, just outside lindos. the villa was 1.5k per week. maybe not quite as spacious as yours. beach was close and there were a couple of tavernas and a small shop within walking distance. views from villa were amazing. let me know if you are interested and i'll see if i can find it

we found that prices for villas varied a lot on the islands. Corfu, for example, seemed pretty expensive

Iamblossom Wed 25-Jun-14 12:08:55

yes am interested please dreaming!!!

Is it direct flights?

dreamingofsun Wed 25-Jun-14 13:08:40

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8051922

iamb - i'm struggling to find the exact one. there were about 6 similar villas in a row, each with their own pool, overlooking the bay. if you google vlicha bay you will find them.

there were a few hotels down the far end of the bay and a couple of fun boat things. at this end there were just a few tavernas. and villa was slightly above them on the hill - so no racket at night. maybe a little quiet for us, but you can walk to couple of tavernas. tiny bit of road noise from road behind the resort (but i'm super fussy as we live in a private no through road)

happy to answer any other questions

dreamingofsun Wed 25-Jun-14 13:09:20

flights - depends on your local airport i guess - thats one of the reasons we chose rhodes - that and the villas weren't silly money

Iamblossom Wed 25-Jun-14 14:26:16

thanks dreaming - £1900 a week a bit more than I would want to pay tbh....

ReallyTired Wed 25-Jun-14 14:37:03

Have you considered cyprus. Accomodation in cyprus is far cheaper than Greece, but be warned the cost of living is quite high in cyprus.

We went to cyprus last year and loved it.

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/paphos/hom_home_type.villa/hom_sleeps_max.6/orderby.price/

We stayed in this villa, and I am shocked how much they have put up the price.

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8049190

You can easily get something similar for roughly £600 per week.

dreamingofsun Wed 25-Jun-14 14:40:40

imb - have you looked at a few of the adverts as i think some of the prices varied a bit for different villas in the row. it as a couple of years ago when we went though so prices may have gone up.

what about algarve - much better value accommodation wise and if you want sun, sand, and food its as good as greece. maybe you have to be slightly more security aware. we stayed in a beautiful villa iin lagos (beds like rock though). walking distance to about 6 different beaches

JillJ72 Wed 25-Jun-14 16:43:55

Try ionianislandholidays.com - they cover the Ionian Islands (Corfu down to Zakynthos), the Peleponnese and the Aegean. We booked Villa Ostria for our 10th wedding anniversary; it was an amazing holiday.

JillJ72 Wed 25-Jun-14 16:45:59

Sorry, that's www.ionianislandholidays.com. Our flight went into Preveza, the booking included villa + flight + car hire; the airport was about 45 mins from the villa, but the drive was stunning.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 26-Jun-14 09:47:42

Iamblossom, Just looked at your link - the villa you've stayed at in Crete looks gorgeous. I noticed that it says "not suitable for children" on the desccription - would you agree with that? Are children not allowed? Thinking ahead here for future holidays! I haven't been, but a friend highly recommends Kefalonia and a villa called Architect's House. Search under www.travelalacarte.co.uk
HTH

Iamblossom Thu 26-Jun-14 20:09:52

Avon, they say no kids only because it is near a cliff edge, but ours were 5 and 7 when we first went and there was no risk really, it was quite obvious where they should not go, and we didn't have any problems. It's up to the person's discretion really, the owner feels they have to warn people.

Iamblossom Thu 26-Jun-14 20:14:59

Thanks avon, looked at architect's house it looks lovely, can't see pricing because we are either too early for next august or it is already booked!!!

Iamblossom Thu 26-Jun-14 20:15:29

Loving the look of kefalonia though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now