Off to Florence next week.....

(18 Posts)
flippyfloppy Mon 12-May-14 20:21:09

You well travelled lot gave me lots of advice before I booked this trip for DH's 40th. I've managed to escape with him for 3 whole nights!!!!! Feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety ( leaving DD 6 and DS 3) ! Just wondered if anyone had any tips/advice for Florence. DH is completely unaware, ( I think!) he won't find out until day before we travel, how I've kept my mouth shut this long I don't know!! X

tabvase Mon 12-May-14 20:29:38
flippyfloppy Mon 12-May-14 20:32:31

Oooh, looks delicious! Thank you x

tabvase Mon 12-May-14 22:33:54

It is stunning. I was on the verge of tears just looking around in the streets. The prettiest city I have ever been to.

Random tips: carry tissues to use as bog roll if caught short in public - the loos are terrible and badly maintained
The queues will be LONG. We skipped a lot of them altogether (only had a day to look round) and just seeing the outside of places was enough, tbh
Check out the bridge with all the padlocks on it (can't remember the name, sorry)
Street entertainers are really fun smile but watch your wallet.

Have an amazing time!

flippyfloppy Mon 12-May-14 22:47:06

Thanks for the info, I'll never sleep tonight now, I can't wait.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 13-May-14 11:23:00

We loved Florence. If you are there for a few days do all the sightseeing things first thing in the morning as it gets very busy in the afternoon.

LavalavalavaLamp Tue 13-May-14 13:16:00

oh my goodness I'm jealous! Florence is my favourite place I've ever visited, the duomo is really breathtaking.
We had a wonderful meal here:
Golden View
It is quite pricey so we picked cheap options that night and they were still fantastic and the view was incredible.
I wish I could remember the names of more places for you but its such a lovely place and I think it's practically impossible to find bad food there.

flippyfloppy Wed 14-May-14 20:46:30

Thanks for the tips everyone! .... Restaurant looks lovely, I'll add to list.... This time next week! Xx

puppy123 Wed 14-May-14 21:22:42

If you're keen on doing the key museums book tickets for the Uffizi beforehand on their website and skip the queue, then go to the Accademia (to see the gorgeous David) 45 mins before it closes as there will be no queue and you don't need long there.

Bunbaker Thu 15-May-14 20:56:20

I loved Florence. When we went they had a major problem with pickpockets, so keep a tight hold of your belongings. The perpetrators would sidle up to people and try to show them a newspaper to distract them and their partner in crime would pick pockets/steal purses out of bags etc.

When eating out you will always be charged a cover charge over and above the menu prices.

Have a great trip.

fiestaforever Thu 15-May-14 22:03:04

following this for tips, planning an autumn break with kids..

CMOTDibbler Thu 15-May-14 22:05:33

We went there on honeymoon. DH and I found a fabulous science museum, and enjoyed random wandering

MrsMarigold Thu 15-May-14 22:09:03

If you are planning to take a buggy for your three year old (unlikely, but still), the cobbled streets are hell with a Maclaren. There are very few playgrounds and kids get exhausted in the Uffizi and the loos take forever to get too. But it is lovely I'm so jealous.

MrsBartlet Sat 17-May-14 18:23:19

I would advise against climbing up the inside of the Duomo. It is hard work and really difficult when you get to the part where it is not one way (ie people are coming down the narrow staircase that you have to climb up). When you get out at the top, the view is disappointing as you are standing on the most iconic building in the city and so don't have it in your view (IYSWIM). Obvious, I know but I really didn't think about it before hand. You get a far better view from the Boboli gardens which are lovely.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 17-May-14 23:02:44

LOL at being disappointed by not being able to see the Duomo when you're standing on it!

I thought it was very worth it, the climb up was scary but worth it.

Florence is just gorgeous, enjoy!

If you want to do the Uffizzi, book in advance online to avoid the queues.

flippyfloppy Tue 20-May-14 21:29:18

Thanks again for the tips! We are going to plan itinerary on plane, I've bought a guide book and will try and book visits in advance. I've booked golden view for DH birthday tomorrow night! Off on 7am flight tomorrow, he knows we are flying somewhere but still doesn't know where!

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 24-May-14 22:32:15

Boboli Gardens are fabulous

nailslikeknives Sat 24-May-14 22:33:32

The Pitti Palace, beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now