(7 Posts)
chicaguapa Sat 03-May-14 23:11:59

We want to fly from Southampton so have narrowed down the arrival airports to:

Clermont-Ferrand (for the Auvergne)
Bordeaux
Bergerac (for the Dordogne)
Perpignan (for the Langedoc)
La Rochelle (for Vendee or Aquitaine)

This is for May half term 2015 grin but I like to be ready to book the flights when they go on sale. So weather might be a slight consideration but only in that if we aren't going to get guaranteed warm dry weather, there needs to be plenty else to do in the area.

Wish list is:
Authentic French ie not overrun with British tourists
Max 90 minutes drive from the airport
Gite accommodation with pool (preferably shared for DC)
Beach not necessary
Needing a car is ok

Any ideas or recommendations please? I need to narrow it down more as I'm just going around in circles. Thanks.

chicaguapa Mon 05-May-14 08:22:50

I've had a look at some of the gites in the reviews but they seem to be geared towards having little DC. Mine will be 13 & 10 so our criteria is different.

Veering towards the Languedoc at the moment but still finding it hard to find an area. But then the Dordogne is nice too. confused

PortofinoRevisited Mon 05-May-14 08:40:10

We stayed here in Les Eyzies a couple of years ago. It was lovely and we found plenty to do. Lots of caves to visit, adventure parks, markets, pretty towns, canoeing and boat trips on the river, castles. The view from the Jardins du Marqueyssac over the Dordogne river were to die for. Aquarium and mini golf in Le Bugue. Lots of nice food and wine. The accommodation was really good - friendly English owners. Lovely gardens and pool. Games barn. Freeview tv. Les Eyzies has a weekly market, supermarket, good selection of cafes and restaurants and the Musee National de Pre-histoire.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 05-May-14 08:40:28

We stayed here in Les Eyzies a couple of years ago. It was lovely and we found plenty to do. Lots of caves to visit, adventure parks, markets, pretty towns, canoeing and boat trips on the river, castles. The view from the Jardins du Marqueyssac over the Dordogne river were to die for. Aquarium and mini golf in Le Bugue. Lots of nice food and wine. The accommodation was really good - friendly English owners. Lovely gardens and pool. Games barn. Freeview tv. Les Eyzies has a weekly market, supermarket, good selection of cafes and restaurants and the Musee National de Pre-histoire.

juneau Mon 05-May-14 08:50:28

The Languedoc is lovely. We went there pre-DC and stayed at a hotel. Narbonne, Perpignan, Toulouse, Collioure - all lovely. Given the choice to visit again I'd stay on the coast. Collioure is a beautiful town with a lovely harbour, market, etc, so I'd stay somewhere near there. I remember Narbonne being really pretty too and authentic - certainly not overrun with Brits.

We've also been to the La Rochelle area, but with small DC. It's very pretty though and lots to do. Gorgeous fish restaurants in La Rochelle too. DH and I would've liked to linger ....

chicaguapa Mon 05-May-14 17:47:48

Thanks both.

I've discounted La Rochelle now as I think it'll be too popular in May half term and the flights will reflect that. That said, we're going to the north Vendee this May half term and may be knocked out by the region.

But in the meantime definitely looking at either Languedoc or the Dordogne.

The Languedoc appeals as it's less well-known and I think the Canal du Midi, plus mountains, vineyards and Mediterranean vegetation sound lovely.

But I know the Dordogne is popular for a reason and I have bookmarked Le Banquet as it looks really nice.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 05-May-14 17:54:45

The bit of the Canal du Midi between say Carcassonne and Beziers is lovely. I have done it on a canal boat in the past. I would say it is more pretty towns and food based though. It depends what kind of activities you are after. With dd we have spent more time on the coast, though May is definitely off season and lots won't be open. I recommended the area around Montpellier on another thread. A bit more switched on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now