Valencia or Porto for a 3 night break for me and DH?

(8 Posts)
ihatethecold Mon 28-Apr-14 19:59:36

We can't decide which one to go to. We are going at the end of September for a long weekend.
We have previously been to Barcelona and loved it.
Especially dossing about on the beach without the kids. grin
They both cost about the same for flights and accomodation.

Anyone have an opinion?

ihatethecold Tue 29-Apr-14 10:10:50

Hopeful bump.

2munchkins Tue 29-Apr-14 19:35:12

We have been several times to Valencia and loved it - in fact preferred it to Barcelona. It is a more friendly city, feels safer and has numerous attractions. We loved exploring the old quarter with its wonderful restaurants and market. However, there is also some amazing new architectural buildings housing city of arts and sciences and oceanografic aquariums and displays. We also loved the botanical gardens. Visited Porto many years ago - and can only remember that the city seemed fascinatingly old but couldn't understand portuguese although people were friendly.

I am sure you'll love Valencia - oh and there are beaches as well although haven't been!

PortofinoRevisited Tue 29-Apr-14 19:50:53

Valencia definitely. I have been to Porto - and there is none of the Tapas/convivial atmosphere thing going on at all

Eastpoint Tue 29-Apr-14 19:52:14

Oh no, we're going to Porto in August without DCs for our 1st trip in 10 years without them.

ihatethecold Tue 29-Apr-14 21:47:58

I think I've ruled out Porto because the decent beach is about 10km away.
So I think it will be Valencia.
I've found a couple of hotels.
Anyone know which area I should get a hotel?

SoldeInvierno Wed 30-Apr-14 08:34:30

I often stay in Aqua4, near Avenida de Francia. I like it because it is right by the bus stop to go either to the city centre or the beach. Plus if you feel like walking, you can just cross the bridge and head to town leisurely. I know Valencia very well so feel free to PM me if you wish

ihatethecold Wed 30-Apr-14 09:36:11

Ooh thanks. I will look at that hotel.
So far I like the look of the Melia and sh Valencia palace.
I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now