Crete for Easter!

(34 Posts)
AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 10:59:52

Hi, we've done it, booked ridiculously cheap flights to Kandia, Crete, for the second week of April.

Anyone been there so early in the season? What clothing should we pack? Any point in bothering with bikinisgrin?

Also any recommendations for cheap hotel/apartment? It's me, DH and our 15 year old twin daughters.

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 11:31:42

Hopeful bump?

BuzzardBird Sat 22-Mar-14 11:34:52

You need to do a bit of tripadvisor I think? I find it very good for finding good accomodation and you can see weather expectations by reading reviews of people that visited at the same time.

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 11:42:20

I'm on Trip Advisor at the moment but thought it worth a MN thread as wellsmile.

specialsubject Sat 22-Mar-14 12:00:34

this looks like Agios Nikolaos - where there is no beach. You might want to find somewhere else. Which airport are you going to?

weather average appears to be 17 to 20 C.Strong sun of course, a long way south.

Might be a bit quiet at Easter, especially for teens? I don't think the season really starts until May, hence cheapness.

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 13:12:25

Kandia.

Hoping to do rather more sightseeing than beaching, Knossos better be open is all I can say... Rough Guide book seems to indicate that it should be.

Knossos is definitely better in cooler weather, I went in July and it was too hot for sightseeing.

ruby1234 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:17:36

Not sure Knossos will be that interesting to 15 year old girls....

You could hike down/up the Samaria Gorge, lovely walk, in the summer season you can get a boat back rom the beach.

There is a small beach at AgNik called (something like) anouda, right along the seafront away from the town centre.

You could get the boat trip to Spinalonga Island, that is an interesting trip, but again not sure if it runs all year round.

Heraklion is a nice place, plenty of shops and bars and a nice harbour.

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:25:37

i have been in Crete at Easter although as I am sure you know, Greek Easter is a little later than ours.
i think this 'candia' place is near Aghios Nikolaos right?
the sea there is filthy btw, my daughter got an horrendous ear infection and trust me you do not want to deal with the hospital at Aghios.
I would pack light clothes proper shoes and fleeces.
a trip to Spinalonga might be good. other than that some of the old villages in the interior and Gournia might be interesting, or a trip to Ierapetra the southernmost town in Europe (next stop Libya).

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:26:40

or take a bus to Sitia but remember the sick bags.

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 13:33:23

Why do I keep writing Kandia? Probably too much study of medieval history - it's Chania now. A bit like calling Istanbul Byzantium blush

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:38:15

oh Chania, that is a bit nice than Ag. Nik tbh.
there is a lovely old harbour with cafes, restaurants etc.
you could hire a car and drive down to Paleochora on the south coast, there is a lovely gorge walk there that you cannot do later in the year, not the samarian gorge but a smaller one.
i was there at Greek Easter on the campsite, pre-kids, it was wild, there were crazed mountain men firing off guns etc. grin
ahh happy days...

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:39:28

i think there are some nice beaches close to Chania but it will be cold and is filthy there too these days sadly

Ah Chania, that is at the other side of the island to AgNic.
If you plan to do Spinalonga, which is a bit touristy but well worth it, make sure to read Victoria Hislop's "The Island" before you go. smile

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:44:10

why would she visit spinalonga if she is going to chania? confused

The OP said Hoping to do rather more sightseeing than beaching,

Perhaps hire a car?

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 14:02:59

Thanks everyone so far! Nigella that gorge walk sounds good - as far as I can make out, Samaria doesn't open until May, and in any case I don't think DP would like it sad - at least, he'd do it, but not enjoy it. My own fault for choosing to love an older man really.

I'm telling the girls it's going to be a bit like Cornwall at Easter weather-wise, and secretly hoping that it's a bit warmer.

I'm thinking of taking the wetsuits over for snorkelling purposes - is the sea filthy all the way round or just by busy town sewage outfalls?

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 14:03:52

And yes, will be hiring a car. The next thing to research on Trip Advisor after accommodation smile

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 14:08:23

the Anidri gorge that was it!
kind of demanding but not too strenuous if you know what i mean.
and it was at the top of that gorge where i found all the empty shell cases grin
IMO the sea is dirty all the way round but i was paranoid mummy/child with ear infection last time i was there.

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 14:08:42
NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 14:19:55

aww I am well jell I love Crete, have a great time!
btw if you do the anidri gorge, take water and a small first aid kit, just in case!

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 14:33:14

maybe book a couple of nights in Chania and take it from there, you could easily find rooms while you are there, for example in Chania itself or in Paleochora. (trans. 'ancient village' - sorry am getting carried away here.....hell of a dramatic drive over the mountains...

mrsnec Sat 22-Mar-14 14:44:30

Hi, I don't know much about crete but thought I'd let you know orthodox easter is the 20th April this year so you may see some festivities also it's 27 degrees where I am today. Everyone is confident we'll get an early summer in the med this year yes pack your bikini just in case.

AlpacaLypse Sat 22-Mar-14 14:51:32

Oooo I'm beginning to get rather excited! Yes, mrsnec bikinis are definitely going in, after all they don't take much room even with RyanAir size luggage restrictions.

Yes Nigella, I'm thinking that way, although DP has muttered a bit about not wanting to change base. But it honestly doesn't take that long to repack a suitcase! Thanks for the link.

A friend was in Chania last year for a couple of nights, beginning and end of a sailing holiday, and has been raving about the place. But he knows bugger all about the rest of the island.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now