On the hunt for a lovely site near Annecy. And is Camping Europa really as bad as some of the reviews I've read?

(12 Posts)
Tobermory Sat 02-Nov-13 21:09:35

We have our ferry booked for next summer. For a while we were headed to the Dordogne but now wondering about somewhere more mountainous.
Have read lots, the area around Annecy sounds fab.
camping Europa has some wonderful reviews and also some pretty shocking ones - mainly about the staff. has anyone been in the last year or so, and would you go again?

So, where should we stay?
We have a caravan, and two smallish DDs (4 and 6) and want swimming pools. Amongst other things!

Milliways Mon 04-Nov-13 21:18:19

This site has good reviews on UK campsite and ALan ROgers

(Not been but bookmarked as an area to visit after DD went a few years ago on an exchange and loved the region)

Tobermory Thu 07-Nov-13 22:54:55

No pool milliways! We have to have a pool!

Sixtiesqueen Sat 14-Dec-13 23:23:45

One of the reviews you have read will be mine.

It was absolutely bloody terrible....but the pool was nice! I wouldn't stay there again ever!

Tobermory Wed 25-Dec-13 22:24:49

Sixtiesqueen, so You weren't keen??!! fgrin

Why was it so terrible?

Belgianchox Wed 25-Dec-13 22:38:22

There's a nice campsite in Doussard around the lake, don't remember the name, but friends stayed there and we visited. I think they were quite happy there. I'm local (ish), there's also a lovely lake in Aiguebelette which is worth a try too.

rubyflipper Wed 25-Dec-13 22:45:46

Le Fleutron isn't too far away. It's a site just outside Divonne which is on the French/Swiss border.

We have stayed in a static caravan on two occasions and were v pleased with the site.

Tobermory Wed 25-Dec-13 22:51:26

Thanks both for recommendations. Belgian will have a google to see if I can figure out where you are describing.

We're being mega indecisive, dordogne or somewhere near a lake and mountains.

Sixtiesqueen Fri 27-Dec-13 16:32:06

If I tell you what i didn't like about it, I will doubtless out myself becaus the review that's mine will become apparent. Like many others, I thought the staff were appalling.

We went to the Dordogne this year. On balance, I preferred Annecy so if you can get the accommodation right, I'd go for that. We had trips out to yvoire, chambery and Lyon. We also went to Chamonix overnight and went up the aiguille du midi which was quite terrifying but glad we did it. The Mer de Glace glacier was brilliant too but you need to turn up pretty early.

There was less to see/do in the Dordogne, though it was nice!

ranoutofnames Sat 28-Dec-13 19:24:35

Annecy is beautiful - haven't camped there though but it is a lovely area

cheerup Sat 28-Dec-13 21:01:39

Nowhere near Annecy (in fact nowhere near anywhere of any size) is L'hirondelle in Chatillon sur Diois. Gorgeous mountain views, pools, river on site and others round about. I would love to go back this year but DH has heart set on Dordogne.

tothinkabout Wed 01-Jan-14 17:36:10

have a look at the campsite(s) at Angon just next to Talloires

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now