The Lycra swimmers rule at Yelloh parks

(20 Posts)
BadRoly Mon 29-Jul-13 21:46:02

Oh and Viva, my Dad used to wear them with pride. We used to tell him off for scaring the small children. Teeny tiny skimpy ones.

But that was an improvement from when he went through his embracing nudity at Studland phase.

Oh those childhood photo albums with strategically places beach balls...

BadRoly Mon 29-Jul-13 21:43:47

Does anyone know if the French Centreparcs have the same rule about 'speedos'?

We have them anyway for under wetsuits in the winter but the boys and dh tend to wear board shorts at this time of year!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Jul-13 21:38:48

Blimey, I've realised I'm only 5 years older than Dh's speedos!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Jul-13 21:38:15

I think my dh is the only English bloke who wears Speedos voluntarily. I disown him in centreparcs, what's even worse is they're 30 years old!

springlenner Mon 29-Jul-13 21:29:23

Sorry took so long for me to get back - MrsSM - thanks for the tip - kitted all boys out for a grand total of £6.50 from Sports Direct grin - now, just need to get a flat stomach for myself :-))

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 20:51:47

Sports Direct have slightly shorter jammers - if that make sense, ie they are longer than typical budgie smugglers, but shorter than the jammer in the link, and at the moment they are £2.50 on the web site. Am hoping they will be acceptable otherwise DS (15 and very self-conscious) will refuse to go in the pool sad

Giraffeski Tue 02-Jul-13 20:43:19

Yelloh Club Farret definitely didn't enforce

LostInWales Tue 02-Jul-13 20:37:24

Well pepper that was the most informative post I've read on MN grin. I had always suspected no 6 mind you wink

peppersquint Tue 02-Jul-13 17:31:14

As far as I know there are several reasons why the French (and other European countries insist on this).

1. Speedos are more hygienic because unlike longer short-type swimwear the wearer is unlikely to use them for anything other than swimming eg: wouldn't go out in them, play sport, eat dinner (though I have seen a few French men in just their budgie smugglers tucking into dinner!). This means that they will be cleaner and keep pool from getting contaminated longer.

2. Wearers of longer baggier styles sometimes put things in the pockets of their swim shorts and forget about them - eg: keys, cash, tissues - these come out easier and clog up the filtration system quicker. It is harder to get engineers to come and unblock pools at short notice (especially in August when most folks are on holidays)

3. The longer type trunks are a danger where there are filtration systems near the bottom of the pool - eg: you could get a piece of cloth trapped and be stuck at the bottom of pool.

4. Lycra pants are easier for lifeguards in the event of having to rescue people from a pool - they don't get waterlogged as easily.

5. Longer type swimwear looks like normal shorts - it is a way to stop blokes wearing their non-swim shorts at the pool (for the above hygiene and safety reasons)

6. The French are happy to humiliate English men given the opportunity!

jamtoast12 Mon 01-Jul-13 11:36:22

We went to the yelloh Benodet site and they didnt enforce speedos...no way dh would have gone in otherwise!

springlenner Sun 30-Jun-13 21:32:01

Thanks - he's short and stocky so to be fair he would look hilarious grin
Does anyone know why they have this rule? Can't think of any modesty or hygiene reason?

LostInWales Sun 30-Jun-13 21:31:49

My Dh has a proper pair of speedo's for use at french campsites. I think he secretly enjoys it. <shame>

Some campsites can be quite obsessive about it, he was refused entry to the pool in his mid thigh length skin tight trunks two years ago. He ended going in wearing a pair of our then 11 year old son's trunks. This was apparently more acceptable to the owners than him being decently covered.

AllSWornOut Sun 30-Jun-13 21:31:36

Yes, most places enforce speedos but he will probably be ok with a pair of lycra boxer-type shorts (but not baggy).

level3at6months Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:01

Yes, it's enforced pretty much everywhere in France. Cycling short style are ok as long as they're mid thigh. Go to Decathlon when you get there - lots of choice and cheap.

DirtyBlonde Sun 30-Jun-13 21:29:56

I've just seen the orange ones cost over £120

< faints >

Morgan Sun 30-Jun-13 21:28:24

They are the type I bought - the longer ones - from Sports Direct

Shesaysso Sun 30-Jun-13 21:27:44

Yeah my husband got asked to leave the pool on a yelloh site as he was wearing swimshorts - they were very strict about it. Cue much hilarity from me when he had to go buy a pair of speedos! For what its worth after the initial 2 days of embarrassment he got used to wearing them. He would just immediately put his swimshorts over them when he came out of the pool.

Morgan Sun 30-Jun-13 21:26:59

We too are going to a Yelloh park next week and have bought DH a pair of Lycra shorts but would be interested to hear any experiences ( sorry for the hijack !)

DirtyBlonde Sun 30-Jun-13 21:26:37

Yes, some places really do enforce it.

It he's uncomfy, maybe jammers are the type to go for?

springlenner Sun 30-Jun-13 21:23:34

We are off to Yelloh Ilbaritz in August. According to the brochure Lycra swimwear is mandatory.
Don't laugh, well do if you want, but.... This is causing my DH much consternation as he a. Has only worn cotton swimming shorts nice he was 10 b. is paranoid about the whole skin tightness.
Is the rule enforced? Seriously, he's doing my head in!
If it is enforced can anyone recommend .... Em... Modest ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now