holiday buggy dilema

(25 Posts)
teambluemummy Thu 23-May-13 19:20:01

hi ladies,

so we are luckily off on holiday to portugal in July - wooo! LO will be just 5 months when we go.

now the problem is we have the bugaboo cameleon (which we love to pieces) but have been told by BA that the pushchair we take must fold in one piece so ruling out our beloved cameleon! sad

have had a look and cant decide between the bugaboo bee or the city jogger?? any reviews suggestions? or even another one you like? I dont want a maclaren style one as I dont think LO will be that comfy in it

thanks !!! smile smile xxxxx

preggersbycheggers Thu 23-May-13 20:09:20

City jogger mini is fabulous.

FannyBazaar Thu 23-May-13 20:12:04

Surely that is only if you want to take it into the cabin, should be OK to go with checked in luggage otherwise.

Have you considered a sling?

Wildwaterfalls Thu 23-May-13 20:12:34

We have the BJCM and really love it! It always comes with us on flights no problem, reclines really far back so good for naps, good 'hood' for shade, and easy fold. Feels very sturdy too - not worried about it getting damaged on flights. The only downside is it doesn't go parent facing, but DD seems ok with that smile

literarygeek Thu 23-May-13 20:16:06

Ok we have a bee which we love but have never taken it away with us. My friend took hers away and it came back in pieces from the airline (BA).
For hot holidays we swear by the connecta sling but we also always take our MacLaren and our two have been comfy in both. Dd2 slept really well in the MacLaren at 3 months with a snooze shade on and it's super light.
Hth
Have fun!

Clearlymisunderstood Thu 23-May-13 20:18:24

We have a petit star zia for holidays, easy to fold and lightweight. I'd be wary of spending alot on a holiday buggy as they get thrown around and I know a few people who've had to buy new as theirs have been so badly damaged by airlines

Pascha Thu 23-May-13 20:18:35

BJCM because it has the most enormous hood ever and a mesh back when reclined which is perfect for avoiding the hot sun and allowing a snooze with the hot air circulating nicely.

GoldenGreen Thu 23-May-13 20:27:57

Agree with clearlymisunderstood - go cheap as the chances are high it will get some sort of damage en route. And slings are great for when you get to the airport the other end and have to wait for the buggy to come round the carousel.

Mumtothenipper Thu 23-May-13 20:28:43

We just bought a petite star njoy for this reason. We love it as it folds small and the baby can be forward or patent facing. Dd is 4 months old and loves being able to sit up in it but lie flat wen she falls asleep. My best baby purchase to date.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jXa3cK0cJQc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjXa3cK0cJQc

forevergreek Thu 23-May-13 20:34:12

You can take cameleon, but just not to gate. Seeing as you won't even get at gate the other end it makes hardly any difference anyway. Just pop cameleon in buggy bag and check in with luggage

( in 3.5 years we have flown at least 40+ times with cameleon in bag, checked in. Not a scratch)

I would take sling for at airport then you will have to and from gates at both ends ( and those with umbrella buggy and no sling will struggle more as nothing on arrival)

MortifiedAdams Thu 23-May-13 20:36:34

TheMaclaren XLR lies totally flat and had an extra, padded, liner. dd Has used it from birth (compatible with a carrycot) and started lying totally flat in the stroller at about 4 months.

teambluemummy Thu 23-May-13 23:47:43

Thanks girls!

yeah we was planning on taking a sling for around the airport as think this may be easier for security etc

im now tempted by the petit star zia! given up with the bug bee idea as just too much money for it to be thrown around sad

going into town tomorrow so will see what I think of them - and which one I can convince the OH to buy us smile

have any of you taken a car seat before by the way??

ahhh to think back to the days where all I was worried about packing was my bikins and could go away spur of the moment - here I am planning months in advance!
LO so worth it though smile xxxx

forevergreek Fri 24-May-13 07:37:55

You can either take car seat on plane if baby has own seat and it's a certified to fly seat ie maxi cosi pebble. Or you can check in up to two pieces of baby equipment free so car seat/ pram/ travel cot etc ( if you travel a lot the baby bjorn travel cot is worth it as fits within suitcase so not counted)

Wildwaterfalls Fri 24-May-13 08:45:10

Forgot to say: someone on another thread recommended the babyzen yoyo to me for travelling - a pram which folds up so small it can go as hand luggage. It's gorgeous but a bit pricey...

nellyjelly Sun 26-May-13 14:06:53

Go cheap. It may get damaged. Or hire one when you are there.

We've got a petit star zia for holidays and its fab

forevergreek Sun 26-May-13 14:15:28

Also I know people usually say go cheap ( see above)

However if insured its usually £50 to claim back.

So either £50 on cheap buggy, may get broke

Or use regular buggy, gets broke, pay £50 insurance claim and get brand new replacement at whatever value yor pram
Is

Either way works

diamondsneezer Sun 26-May-13 14:20:22

I would stick with the buggy you know and love. I've always flown with Mountain Buggys in a buggy bag. Fine.

Last year I'd given the bag to a friend. Flew with my second hand (£50) MB, it got trashed but was still usable while we were away.

Reported it on arrival at the airport, followed up when we got home and received a brand new one grin. No £50 excess or anything. Just a £550 buggy.

Take yours... unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new buggy wink

teambluemummy Sun 26-May-13 16:23:33

I didnt realise you would be covered from insurance if the buggy got broke? do we have to have proof of reciept to claim though as we got ours second hand?

its oh so tempting to get a second buggy but I kmow OH would be over the moon to know we dont really need to get another buggy xx

forevergreek Sun 26-May-13 16:35:55

I don't think you need proof of reciept. It's like if you loose suitcase you dont have to prove what type/ what was in it etc. most just say up to x amount.

Our insurance is something like up to £2000 in lost/ damaged luggage, so even a twin bugaboo would be covered if needed. Ours is also a free claim. Most are £50 excess or sometimes more so check.

If it breaks at airport ( same with lost luggage), you must make it official for insurance to pay. Ie you need to tell them at airport not when home.

literarygeek Sun 26-May-13 19:41:40

The only thing about broken buggies...
It may break on your outward trip
It may be fixable- this happened to my friend and she had to use a sling for 4 weeks while it was sent away to be fixed (bugaboo bee). I guess it depends on the ts and cs of your insurance.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Willsmum79 Sun 26-May-13 21:11:34

I have a britax b agile. We bought it specifically to go to Madeira. Press a button and pick it up by the handle which is on the seat of the buggy and lift it up and it folds 'automatically' and clicks to lock. To unlock it, you press the click and it needs a little shake to unfold.

I bought it because it is so light to push, easy to collapse and light to carry. It has a multi-positional lie-back with a deep basket and on the back is another ocket for storage. The hood also zips to allow the hood to come further down and create a sunshade for little one.

Love it so much that if/when number two comes along, I'm buying the britax car seat that clicks onto it. The buggy is also suitable from birth as it has a complete lie-back facility.

Willsmum79 Sun 26-May-13 21:12:33

Oh and buggy absolutelt fine for pushing around the airport. You can take it straight to the gate.

3MonthMaid Sun 02-Jun-13 09:23:05

If you want a zia, check nurseryvalue website for "reworked" at crazy prices!

However you might be best just getting a travel bag for your cam. BA will take it no problem!

MrWalker Thu 20-Jun-13 16:13:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now