Food in Greece - how expensive?

(16 Posts)
specialsubject Sat 20-Apr-13 14:03:28

anything can go into hold luggage for this. But the only thing I would bother taking is proper teabags which you can't get in Greece. Life is too short for Liptons.

gowerbeauty Sat 20-Apr-13 09:16:41

Family of three going to Kefalonia (Skala) in august for 2 weeks self-catering.Any recommendations for eating out and local supermarkets.
One poster mentioned bringing breakfast cereals with them- What foods are you allowed to put into hold luggage?
Many thanks

JillJ72 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:03:55

There was a Lidl in Lefkas Town when we went 2 years ago. We found prices similar to the UK. Enjoy Lefkada, it's beautiful. Do a sunrise viewing in the mountains above Nidri if you can.

evertonmint Sat 13-Apr-13 20:10:53

You will have a great time! DH and I hadn't been to Greece in 20 years, were a bit uncertain if we'd like it, and had such an amazing time with our two that we did something we never do, and booked the same place again for this year smile

Medal Sat 13-Apr-13 16:28:26

Thanks everyone, great to hear the prices aren't too bad for buying food and eating out. We have booked our holiday, Mousses in Lefkas, CANNOT wait!

DD1 and I went to Cephalonia last year and generally paid around 25E for an evening meal of a shared salad starter, a main course each (one of which was always veggie, so generally cheaper and a glass of wine or beer each, plus a bottle of water. I think even on nights when we 'splashed out' and had more than one alcoholic drink and /or a pudding, it was never more than 35E. For lunches, we tended to just go to a bakery for a pie to eat when out, or we bought bread, fruit and tsatziki to eat at the apartment - so was v cheap.

I agree that part of the charm of a Greek holiday is to eat in lots of tavernas, so I certainly wouldn't want to go AI.

PrivatelyPeaceful Fri 12-Apr-13 20:44:40

I've been to Lefkas twice and agree it cheaper than Uk to eat out. Also just been to Kefalonia and had Free dishes everywhere we went! (as another poster said).

Movingtimes Fri 12-Apr-13 20:31:57

We've been to the Ionian for the past four years and are going again this summer. We noticed last year that tavernas were cheaper than the previous year and emptier too (and we were there in August). We were getting a lot more freebies in tavernas than ever before - complimentary starters and puddings and would definitely say eating out was cheaper than in the UK whereas in previous years it would have been on a par. In supermarkets (there are lots in Nidri) stuff is on a par with UK - more expensive if you buy imported brands but fine if you stick with Greek stuff. I would never do all-inclusive on Lefkas as having the freedom to choose where to eat is half the fun for me.

specialsubject Fri 12-Apr-13 18:16:50

it seems there's a Lidl in Nidri and another in Preveza. I've done a lot of shopping in Greek Lidl's, you can get some great local stuff and prices are about the same as UK. Don't assume lengthy UK opening hours, especially outside July and August.

for restaurants, look in the back streets in tourist areas, although Lefkas isn't too touristy except Nidri, and even that isn't too bad.

all-inclusive is generally a bad idea in Greece - eat local. Ethically better too.

bring me back a few tins of dolmades, please. :-)

evertonmint Fri 12-Apr-13 17:52:36

Should make it clear - we were able to eat cheaper than the E50-E60, just that was probably the max we paid, for full meal plus alcohol and not holding back - so starters, main and puddings.

evertonmint Fri 12-Apr-13 17:50:37

We went to Zakinthos last year. Restaurants varied - we would pay anything up to E50-E60 for 4 (2yo and 4yo rather than older kids) and get a very hearty meal. This would include alcohol. Portions generally big and tasty. SC - see where the nearest Lidl is and stock up there then use more local shops for top ups and you'll be spending similar to UK. Small local shops alone are pricey. We took breakfast cereal from home, ate pasta or similar for lunch then ate out at night. I wouldn't go AI unless money really tight as the tavernas are uniformly incredibly welcoming to
Children, and the food is usually very tasty and reasonable value, and self catering is easy.

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 17:44:42

how much are you looking to spend and who is going

have you seen www.lowcostholidays.com? this is the second year i've booked with them, good online service and cheap

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 17:43:30

went last year - it isn't expensive - nor is it super cheap.

but there is something lost with all inclusive - surely holidays about going out to restaurants - ordering things your not quite sure of, laughing drinking, soaking up an atmosphere?

only if it was so cost prohibitive or very dangerous would i go AI

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 12-Apr-13 17:41:33

Kos - not Kis!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 12-Apr-13 17:41:04

We went to Kis a couple of years ago and we found it very reasonable to eat out. We only had breakfast in the apartment and ate out the rest of the time. It was certainly cheaper than eating out at home.

Medal Fri 12-Apr-13 13:28:21

We really want to go to Lefkas this summer, found a place that's self catering but as it's been years since I've been, I was wondering how much food approx costs to buy in supermarkets and eating out occasionally. Just trying to work out if an all inclusive might be kinder to our budget!

Is it on a par with here, more or less?

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now