Cyprus at the moment? should I book given the debt crisis?

(12 Posts)

Some interesting info from people in the know on a thread of mine on the subject if you want to have a look.

I am now cautiously optimistic that we will have a good holiday and won't have to take wads of cash which is what I was wary of.

orangebowl Mon 25-Mar-13 18:51:53

I am sure you will have a wonderful time! It's a beautiful country, really friendly people and amazing food!

nongnangning Mon 25-Mar-13 17:53:52

Thanks for these other replies - very helpful. There is a bailout package today of course, which may mean that the situation is righted quite quickly. Hope so. PacificDogwood, hopefully that will turn things around and your holiday will be great.

We had already booked before the debt crisis news broke, so are planning on going in 2 weeks <<wibble>>

I will await the news over the next few days, however at this point will take cash split between DH and me and secreted about our personages... <taps nose>

I am clinging to the hope that some kind of bailout will have been agreed by the time we are going.

To answer your question: no, I would not book just now tbh.

Coconutty Sun 24-Mar-13 20:12:27

I have lots of family and friends in Cyprus and wouldn't go there at the moment. Lots of worry and supermarkets running low due to suppliers accepting cash only. Not a happy place, would also be concerned about taking loads of cash with me as hotel safes are notoriously unsafe.

dreamingofsun Sun 24-Mar-13 20:08:09

maybe think about whats been happening in greece? so if you are unlucky and got to the islands - like we did - you may get taxi drivers going on strike and a few short power cuts. and maybe flight disruptions. if you are in major cities you may get unrest and riots.

orangebowl Sat 23-Mar-13 14:37:12

I'd say consider going. I have a lot of family out there. Their biggest issue at the moment is just worrying about what will happen. It will be sorted really soon (has to be). I agree that if you were thinking in next couple of weeks maybe not as some people have trouble getting cash to pay suppliers etc for restaurants/ services.

Last thing thy need is tourism going down the pan now (not your fault obviously smile)

narmada Sat 23-Mar-13 14:26:33

I think a bigger risk than civil unrest is that some services (restaurants, buses, bars, shops) will find it difficult to operate if there are no reliable banking facilities open. In all likelihood I am sure it will be sorted-ish by then, but for certainty maybe you are right to book somewhere else this time.

nongnangning Sat 23-Mar-13 11:11:06

Thanks for these comments. I had another conversation about it with my other half last night - he is worried about it too.

There are two issues aren't there, as I think about it properly - a financial one (ie 'will I somehow lose my money/get stranded if the airline goes bust) and a risk of associated civil unrest (with apologies to any Cypriots reading this, all of whom are just probably rather annoyedly getting on with daily life).

The current FCO travel advice just says 'take enough cash to cover you and be wary of thieves'.

So I think I will wait and see what the bailout brings as you advise Narmada and book for somewhere else this spring (sorry Cyprus, hopefully I will be along another time).

narmada Fri 22-Mar-13 23:59:09

I wouldnt, no, because I would worry about the tourist infrastructure if the banks don't come back online soon. Can you wait to see what kind of bailout they get and book afterwards if it looks ok?

jollydiane Fri 22-Mar-13 18:32:34

Are you going All Inclusive? I would also check with the tour operator policy and also you insurance. Cyprus is a beautiful country it is so sad that it has come to this.

nongnangning Fri 22-Mar-13 16:22:54

I was going to book us a family week in Cyprus in early May, nice and warm etc - literally the next day the Cyprus debt crisis appeared on the news.

I haven't booked anything yet and am now in two minds. If it was just us adults I would go, but I have a tiny worry by the time a month comes the banks will all have collapsed and the poor beleagured Cypriots will have taken to the streets.

On the other hand it sounds like they could really use my tourist pounds.

Any Cyprus-travelling MNers or anyone else got any thoughts to share?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now