Turkey in May -can you swim in sea/pool

(21 Posts)
SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 05-Apr-13 11:34:55

End of May is usually lovely, the water temperature can be a bit cool but it is fine once you get in, I could quite happily spend the day on the beach or the pool and go in and out of the water all the time. Sometimes in can be cool in the evenings.

The Bodrum Peninsula is lovely, I lived there for a few years and still love to go back when I can.

WinterWinds Sun 31-Mar-13 11:38:13

Went to Bodrum last May. kids were in and out of the pool all day.

The temperatures were nearing 30 degrees when the sun did come out but there was a lot of cloud cover and rain showers over the first half of the week and when the rain clouds came over it turned quite chilly.

There was one day where we had to wear jeans and jumpers but the sun came out later on so it was back to beach wear as we were too hot!!!

I still came back with a good tan though as we were cathcing the sun through the clouds without realising, so remember if the weather is a bit unpredicatable, dont forget your sunscreen!!!!

Laquila Fri 29-Mar-13 15:57:28

We went in late April a couple of years ago and it was perfect weather - definitely hot enough to sunbathe but not sweltering, and just right for swimming in the sea. The Bodrum peninsula is worth exploring.

CoteDAzur Mon 18-Mar-13 21:10:18

It will be warm enough to sunbathe, though.

CoteDAzur Mon 18-Mar-13 21:09:55

OP - It depends where you go. Around Antalya would probably be warm enough to swim whereas the Aegean coast on the west probably wouldn't.

Tortington Mon 18-Mar-13 21:07:18

didim. have looked on you tube - it looks a bit rough as fuck tbh.

i hope its not blackpool but with sun

everlong Mon 18-Mar-13 10:20:38

Custy it's lovely weather in May. Very warm, sunny, you may have a few clouds at that time of year but you might not.

The Turkish are gorgeous people, so lovely and friendly.

givemeaclue Mon 18-Mar-13 10:12:58

Yes, sunbathing weather, it has been nice and hot in ma. The last two years

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Mar-13 09:43:46

We went to Rhodes one May, quite early in the month and it was lovely for swimming in the pool and sunbathing. I'm sure Turkey will be hotter, so you'll be fine.

Lizzylou Mon 18-Mar-13 09:32:31

Definitely! We were around the pool all afternoon, and that was mid-april.

Where are you off to Custy?

My boys still talk about Turkey all the time, we had such a lovely week.

Tortington Mon 18-Mar-13 09:29:31

is it hot enough to sunbathe?

Lizzylou Mon 18-Mar-13 09:25:28

We went to Turkey in mid-april a few years ago.
Pool and sea were not exactly hot, but we were all in and out of the water most of the day.
By the end of the week it was certainly heating up, May should be lovely I'd have thought.

Tortington Mon 18-Mar-13 09:25:11

im going in may - never been - will watch with interest

mrsshackleton Mon 18-Mar-13 09:23:31

Haven't booked yet, so any advice on areas welcome. Sounds like beach area would be best to swim in sea if pool is too cold for my pathetic tastes!

everlong Sun 17-Mar-13 20:57:06

It wasn't bathwater I'm afraid but my kids were in and out of the pool all day... but Turkey is lovely, I'm sure you will love it smile

FrameyMcFrame Sun 17-Mar-13 20:56:35

It's lovely at Easter, flowers in full bloom, think English Summer... The Sea was swimmable, I found the pool too cold. Where abouts are you going?

givemeaclue Sun 17-Mar-13 20:51:31

Pool water a little chilly but ok Dr kids

mrsshackleton Sun 17-Mar-13 20:28:31

Thanks chaps. Am looking for a temperature where kids will spend all day jumping in and out of pool - am deffo a mardarse, it has to be bathwater temp for me to go in.

givemeaclue Sun 17-Mar-13 18:43:10

Yes, been that time for last two years, swum in pool and sea and I am not hardy, lovely weather both times

everlong Sat 16-Mar-13 21:45:38

I've been to Turkey in early May some years ago. It was 70's and yes we swam in the pool, it was cold though when first getting in but ok after a few mins. The sea was too cold for me but I'm a mard arse.

mrsshackleton Sat 16-Mar-13 20:52:46

Considering Turkey for May half term, but will it be warm enough to swim. I am not a hardy creature. Any advice welcome. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now