Talk to me about Euro Disney before we book

(56 Posts)
sherzy Tue 19-Feb-13 08:29:06

We live in the North and would like to do a week in Euro Disney in the summer holidays. Sadly Florida is out of our budget but we want to give the dc the Disney experience at least once when they're little.

So, looking for hotel ideas, flying or train (ideally to get the most time at Disney), top tips and any good deals about.

I haven't been since it opened in 1992 so hope it's moved on a bit and worth the money smile

sherzy Wed 20-Feb-13 09:24:01

Anybody used VEA for transfers?? Seem reasonably priced, 64 euro for the four of us return rather than £126 through the Disney website.

momb Wed 20-Feb-13 09:33:17

A burger and fries, dessert and drink meal on the park last february cost just under 30 euros for an adult and 18 euros for a child. You will be put off the dearer restaurants but they do offer better value for money, so if you go half board you are more likely to go and get a proper meal you will get one really good meal a day on top of your buffet breakfast.
The first time we went we tried to be as cheap as possible and after two days I was craving salad ! By eating at the agrabah cafe (buffet) or at the steak house in Frontier Land (examples of middle of the road places: other restaurants are there!) you can get a portion of fruit and veg along with your dinner! Otherwise it is mostly brioche, burgers, fries etc.
Alternatively, spend your food budget on booking the character places which your children may enjoy more. You need to book these in advance though: no point just turning up on the day.
We stayed at Cheyenne last year and it was fine. Breakfast is a torrid affair in all the hotels which don't book you a table but at least you can make cheese butties if you are trying to keep your costs down!

momb Wed 20-Feb-13 09:36:22

oooh: forgot to say that the barbecue at Woody's roundup, although it is fried food in carboard boxes (3 courses with a drink £30 type stuff), was really fun as the charecters all make the children dance. Sherrif Woody forced my Mum up for a photo with us all and even the teens were doing the hokey cokey with Eeyore ;-)

sherzy Wed 20-Feb-13 10:09:30

Thanks Momb, I think after more research I've realised how expensive the food actually is!!! Think we'll be packing a few cheese croissants from the breakfast buffet in our bags to get us through the day. `

Camwombat Wed 20-Feb-13 10:55:44

I agree, we spent two days there in December and did pretty much all we wanted to.

We stayed at the Cheyenne Hotel, which was fab, and had a full size travel cot.

We walked to and from the park, it's about 15-20mins but is a lovely wall. DS was in his buggy.

There are lots of "rides" that little ones can go on. Our DS was 17months and did plenty, he was shattered by the end.

Make use of fast passes for rides if you can. There were four of us and DS, so we got to use their "baby switch", two go on ride, other two wait at exit with baby and go straight on when other two exit.

Watch the parades and shows too, we stayed out to watch the "Dreams" one which was amazing!

Thr food is priced as you would expect it to be, but I didn't think it was a complete ripoff.

I'm waiting to go back!!! grin

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 20-Feb-13 20:47:25

I agree 6 days too much. 3or 4 nights more than enough. It's not Florida and it will get boring as there is nothing else to do but the two parks and the odd swim.
Your kids will love it as will you. Nothing like the first trip.

sherzy Thu 21-Feb-13 13:49:24

Booked, 4 nights, flying, Disney package incl meal with characters and half board. Looking forward to stocking up on breakfast rolls and packing tea bags. Thanks for all the tips smile

ChiefOwl Thu 21-Feb-13 21:17:35

They are well aware of people trying to nick breakfast the croissants/rolls they served were the teeeniest I have ever seen! But plenty of people were trying to make a sandwich with them.

We're pop north and we've been to eurodisney a couple of times. Always fly to Paris and take Disney shuttle from cdg. We've stayed in sequoia lodge and the new York in the Disney village. Both okay. Took full advantage of the early opening and if you have tea around 5 in the mickey cafe the characters all come on then so you don't need to pay extra for the character breakfast. The princess dining is very expensive but amazing.

Thewhingingdefective Thu 21-Feb-13 22:21:05

Sherzy we booked direct.

Thewhingingdefective Thu 21-Feb-13 22:26:01

Parc Asterix is also nearby. I staffed a school trip there about ten years ago and thought it was pretty good for a day trip.

GeetTallBird Thu 21-Feb-13 22:35:12

I stayed in a fantastic keycamp village ( http://www.keycamp.co.uk/sites/france-paris/pa012-la-croix-du-vieux-pont.html ) about an hour away from EuroDisney last year, they ran bus trips to EuroDisney (i bought Disney tickets beforehand) and was very worth it. Only problem was the bus returned to the campsite before the parade finished which was a real shame.
The parade was great though, and you need to be there an hour early to stake your claim on the pavement!
Food was expensive, I took packed lunches & we only bought drinks. Loads of places to eat. Queues for rides were quite horrific as it was school hols but the experience of EuroDisney was magical!
Perhaps worth investing in a queue jump style ticket?

sherzy Fri 22-Feb-13 08:49:23

Thanks again, even the girl in the travel agents recommended taking extra breakfast rolls!

How much spending money would you recommend for 5 days?

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 22-Feb-13 08:58:09

Take your hotel/package budget again. Atleast.
I know you have half board, but still everything is expensive.

Take the buggy. Even just for carting your picnic & drinks & camera around in.

Buy Disney branded stuff now. Supermarkets, primark, sports direct, £ shop for colouring books etc.
That way you can magic out from the suitcase a new outfit or toy every day, & hopefully resist being dragged into the many gift shops.

pofacedplot Fri 22-Feb-13 09:19:30

We will never got to Eurodisney again. We went about this time last year, the week after half term, and happened to be a French National Holiday. Minimum hour long queue for any ride [rides which lasted 60 seconds in Toy Story bit] Food unbelievably expensive and staff all seemed to hate their job.

Sorry, hope you have a better time, but just wanted to balance out the reviews here! We hated it! We have found some lovely other theme parks in europe which are much nicer and less cynically commercial though.

MunchMunch Fri 22-Feb-13 09:37:39

We are going in November by coach and ferry <sobs> I'm in the North East so it takes us about 14 hours! Its costing us just under £1000 for 3 nights 4 days at the Santa Fe for 3 adults and 2 children (13 yr old ds1 is classed as an adult and the 2 kids go free). My Brother is also coming with us and its costing him £329.

I would prefer to fly and did price it up but for 6 of us it came to £2500 and I can't justify the price, we could get a weeks holiday in the sun for that.

My other brother has just booked to go a few days before us, flying, 3n/4d staying at the Santa Fe, 2 adults 1 child, also from the north east and I think it's cost him £1200.

twinkle1010 Fri 22-Feb-13 09:56:56

We're going in May (Half term) for four nights/five days. I booked in january when they had a deal on for two extra days. Its costing about £1200 for me and my DD. We've booked the wild west show and dinner with Mickey as well. Might book the princess one when we get there.

Were flying in on excellent timed flights and staying in the Cheyenne. (We dont mind a basic one as we will hardly be in there and the others were very expensive.) We booked the hotel through disney and flights seperately.

Were going with a group of friends, cant wait smile

milkymocha Fri 22-Feb-13 10:07:10

Marking my place. We are going next month - staying in the cheyenne!
5 adults and 3 infants.

How much spending money would people recommend for 4days, 3 nights?

smile

sherzy Fri 22-Feb-13 10:23:16

It's cost us £2500 to fly from Newcastle for 5 days, surely we don't need another £2500 spending money or have I read that wrong????

twinkle1010 Fri 22-Feb-13 10:31:34

Milkymocha Im thinking £1000 for me and DD. Already paid for two evening meals (with the shows) so that should help. If I bring some back I will be thrilled!!! I will also have my bank card incase I need any more. smile

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 22-Feb-13 10:41:07

Ok, you are flying. Maybe not quite so much. We drove & hadn't booked half board. But spent over £1000 on food for 4 days and extortionate mickey wellies as our shoes got wet

It was minimum 12 euros for any kids meal. Minimum 18E for adult set meal, without any drinks. Buffets from 15E and 25E.

Cheapest bottle of wine was 20E. Beer 7E for 1/2 litre. Crisps 3.5E. Hot chocolate, whic we drank gallons due tothe cold was 3E each.

I think you'll need £1000 spending money. It all costs a fortune.
The Wild West show is amazing but it might be too late for your dcs. Dd was 3 and slept on my lap through it (at a cost of £50!). The princess lunch was really rated by lots of people before we went. I thought it was a real waste of money. We paid £150 for me, my mum and dd. the food was far too grown up for dd, she only ate a chocolate Cinderella slipper. The princesses danced for one dance in the two hours we were there and only two princesses came to say hello to dd ( I think we would have only met one but I got stroppy and demanded to see another). Very disappointing.

milkymocha Fri 22-Feb-13 11:24:06

I think i have estimated the spending money well.. Breakfasts are included so just lunch and dinner for 2adults and 1infant to factor in. (Will take baby food for tiny one!)

Has anyone had snacks confisicated at gates? Iam worrying about this as my Ds1 has allergies so have to be careful about what he eats! I on the other hand can eat cheeseburges galore wink

sherzy Fri 22-Feb-13 11:29:24

We've booked breakfast with characters as it was the cheapest option, couldn't justify the princess meal plus the 3 yo just wouldn't sit for that length of time.

We were thinking we'd have a big breakfast, beffiet for tea using voucher and just pick at breakfast rolls and sweets/icecreams through the day. Not booking any shows as the dc won't eat anything and again smallest just won't be able to concentrate for that length of time. Will only just be 3 at that point.

As we only have snacks and drinks to buy, we don't drink and dc will have saved money and gift money from family to spend what else could we be spending it on?

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 22-Feb-13 11:36:11

We had a rucksack full of snacks & soft drinks & no one batted an eyelid.

Sherzy, you don't think you'll need a lot for just daytime snacks & drinks, but it all adds up. We had hot dogs for lunch at the American place on the corner, baseball theme...casey something. 4 hot dogs, 3 chips, 5 soft drinks was 60E, queued for ages, & frankly was awful.

If you have breakfast & dinner included ( pre paid smile ), take snacks, drinks etc for your bags. Breakfast isn't really portable, unless you fancy eating mini pots of yoghurt & pain au chocolat. The rolls are small & hard, & won't keep til lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now