Croatia: could anyone share their thoughts/experiences ?

(31 Posts)

Looking at a villa holiday in Croatia with dcs (will be 9 & 7) - but no idea whereabouts to look, and am tying myself up in knots looking at various options.

Had initially thought of going islands, but looks like those will be very busy peak season - plus adds ££. Any recommendations for good locations/areas? Ideally with stuff to see (ancient/wildlife), nearish to the sea, ideally not too busy...?

Or, any other hints and tips at all, really!

narmada Thu 17-Jan-13 22:00:09

I would second cavtat. Great place for a family hol. Failing that you could try Korcula- which has fab sandy beaches at Lumbarda. Somewhere like Peljesac peninsula will probably be a bit quieter and from there you can do visits to korcula.

Bay of kotor also v lovely. I liked Perast. I think Kotor might be fairly busy in peak season - it is a small town.

oohhh, just seen all these new posts, thank you everyone! We had wondered initially about one of the islands, but so far I haven't found anywhere that looks nice & isn't too spendy - would rather be on a smaller island, but then want somewhere with a decent restaurant/bar or two...

hillyhilly, you're selling it so well I now have a little pile of montenegro bookmarks. Do you mind if I ask where you stayed?

OK, will check out Cavtat too. Are the sandy beaches not very busy, Korcula? My two go down to Devon a lot, so they aren't too fussed by sand, so I was planning to keep away from the few sandy beaches on the assumption everyone else would be there smile This is so helpful, thanks everyone!

narmada Thu 17-Jan-13 23:28:21

The beach in Dubrovnik will be rammed.... ish.

Korcula not too sure.... hmmm. I don't think the Lumbarda beaches will be heaving - one is a narrow strip tho the other one is much wider.

Check out places like Viganj and Orebic. There are a fair few villas and apartments on the major sites like owners direct ect.... I would avoid large agencies as they seem to charge ridiculous amounts.

If you are not bothered about luxury there are always reasonable rooms (sobe) to be had in Croatia - Google 'privatni smjestaj' ( private accommodation).

Thanks namara, that's helpful. A Bosnian mate has said she's happy to do some googling for us, as she was shocked how much the prices went up once the sites were in English wink

Bunbaker Sun 20-Jan-13 01:04:49

We stayed on the Makarska Riviera, in a place called Baska Voda, 3 years ago when DD was 9. It was one of our best holidays ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now