Anyone been on a family holiday to Holland?

(12 Posts)
Portofino Fri 11-Jan-13 09:32:31

Also would recommend Duinrell. Also look at Landal.com - loads of sites all over Holland and much cheaper than CP. We have stayed at Hoog Vaals a few times - close to Maastricht and loads to do in the area. Efteling is lovely too - very good for little kids. They have a holiday village there too.

gallivantsaregood Mon 07-Jan-13 21:38:15

In the South of Holkatnd there is an area with zoos, safari parks, theme parks and lots of nature too. Lots of holiday parks too. If you google Apenheul, you'll get an idea of the area- sorry I can't remember name. Apenheul is a monkey zoo and is great. Bern a couple of times when we lived in Holland. The Efteling is a fantastic theme park. More in line with the Alton Towers of today smile

Littlechangeforthis Mon 07-Jan-13 21:20:45

Hope you don't mind the high jack, I'm thinking of visiting my sister in The Hague for Easter... Is there much to do? Ds is 5.5.

Thanks

MrsPresley Mon 07-Jan-13 18:11:05

Have also been to Duinrell (twice and will definately go back again)

Love it there, and if you have a car it is so easy to get to and get to Amsterdam and other places as well.

Loads to do in Amsterdam, buy Holland passes from the Travelex shop in the train station, you get free entry into loads of places and discounts galore!

If you plan on vising a 3 or 4 attractions in Amsterdam alone, you will save a fortune. The Nemo Science Museum is totally worth a visit and if the weather is nice, make sure you go up to the top for a coffee, relax a bit and dip your feet in the paddling pool thing they have!

Mind you. you could spend your whole holiday in Duinrell and the kids willl love it.

We stay with Keycamp and the caravan has always been lovely and clean.

My only "complaint" was that there was no TV, so the second time we went we took DD's small tv from her bedroom and some DVD's for night time.

The pool there is fantasic and the funfair is pretty good as well, will definatley keep your 2 boys entertained!

myron Mon 07-Jan-13 16:28:12

We did Duinrell for a cheapie break a few years ago (also took the same ferry route) and it was surprisingly good. Think of Alton Towers 30 yrs ago - shabby chic funfair but more than adequate for our DC then 6 & 3 but with a super modern Waterworld on site. Wassenar is an attractive affluent town and the fact that you can hire bikes and easily cycle to the beach was fantastic. We did a last minute deal with Keycamp and stayed in a new mobile static (a first for us and I had no complaints).

MuminPinny Mon 07-Jan-13 13:08:33

Thanks very much. I'll check out Duinrell on the web and Bergen too. The Center Parcs I looked at was at Zandvoort but when I google earthed it it looked like a huge busy town? Ideally I'd like somewhere with pool and facilities and near a beach which isn't too busy. We live in a city so a change would be good although to be able to go into Amsterdam as well and do stuff would be great too. Your comments have reassured me that Holland is definitely a good idea and I should get my skates on to get something booked (as DH is pestering me to do!)

Lilymaid Mon 07-Jan-13 12:53:10

We once had a long weekend combining Amsterdam (two tired DCs so we spent most of the time on canal trips) and a few days in Bergen (a nice fairly upmarket resort by the sea - not dissimilar to Southwold) where there was an enormous beach and cycling in the forest.

Chopstheduck Mon 07-Jan-13 12:46:37

def duinrell, the pool alone could keep two children busy for a week!

Otherworld Mon 07-Jan-13 12:45:35

Last year we took the kids to Duinrell near Amsterdam and really enjoyed it. We chose it because of the MN reviews and really enjoyed it.

gardeningsarah Mon 07-Jan-13 12:36:48

Is the centre parcs the one at Zandvoort? there is a fab beach at Zandvoort mind you they are all fabulous beaches on the dutch coast. We stayed in zandvoort not at the centre parcs, and we then took the train into Amsterdam, there is plenty to do Amsterdam, canal trips, Nemo (science museum) there is also a zoo (never been)

Another good place to visit is Madurodam which is in city of Den Haag.

MmeLindor Mon 07-Jan-13 12:17:25

I haven't been on a holiday there, but have often stopped off on the way to the ferry when we lived in Germany.

The little town of Haarlem is nice, and not far from the ferry. You could do Amsterdam and the beaches from there.

We have been to the Center Parcs further inland, which was good fun - although it is not quite as well developed as the one you mentioned, I think. We booked last minute via the German website and got a great deal - we paid just EU 150 for the week.

MuminPinny Mon 07-Jan-13 12:11:28

We are thinking of taking the ferry from Newcastle to Holland and would love to hear where to stay or where not to stay to keep 2 boys age 8 and 10 happy for a week. Ideally we don't want more than 1 1/2 hours drive after we arrive at Amsterdam port. There's a Center Parcs on the coast but it looks quite built up - has anyone been there? Thanks - all recommendations welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now