Summer holiday for 4 on a budget - help!

(15 Posts)
BackforGood Mon 07-Jan-13 23:05:27

Thanks Oddslippers. I'll try some more on lone searches smile

TheLittleMe Mon 07-Jan-13 20:58:32

True... Baby will only be 14 months though. Where do you suggest in France?

Autumnalis Mon 07-Jan-13 20:02:45

France would be a good option. You can book the sc accommodation and drive.

TheLittleMe Mon 07-Jan-13 19:47:24

We went to Cala D'Or last year, was lovely, we paid £1100 for a week self catering. Will have a look at some flights- I always am put off by having to do the flights and accom separate- but will give it a go.

oddslippers Mon 07-Jan-13 17:59:13

We booked flights with ryanair they were £572, then accommodation through homeaway 2 bed villa with sofa bed in lounge in cabo roig was £380 for 9 nights we took £700 for spends and transfers, we ate out every other evening and had a bbq the other nights, we bought all food from a conveniently located ALDI within walking distance. Was the best holiday I've ever done because I didn't come back feeling ripped off at all smile We booked about this time last year, you need to have a rough idea of where you can afford accommodation then get the flights booked as soon as you see a good price, don't hang around they change virtually by the hour.

BackforGood Mon 07-Jan-13 16:56:58

oddslippers please tell me how ?

Fluffy1234 Mon 07-Jan-13 16:50:03

I always find whitsun expensive as there isn't much of a choice of possible days to go and return where as during August you have the whole month. I'd look at flights to Portugal or the Greek islands and then check out at all inclusive hotels or apartments resorts and I think it's very doable.

myron Mon 07-Jan-13 16:18:32

I've been looking at budget flights for 4 and I am finding it extremely hard to get any short haul return flight to southern Europe for <£200 pp whereas in previous years, it hasn't been that hard to find a choice of flights and I'm looking at Whitsun rather than Aug. My friend who monitors flight prices due to visiting family in Italy says that I've missed the boat - prices have gone up and I didn't buy when flights were first released. Nevertheless...I live in hope and haven't entirely given up and booked a ferry crossing yet. Factor in say £200 for car hire and say £700 - £800 for 2 bed S/C hire and that's your modest budget gone! Good Luck!

oddslippers Mon 07-Jan-13 15:08:03

Your best bet is to organise flights and accommodation separately go on mse flightchecker for flights and home away or holiday lettings for accommodation, don't be put off organising it yourself it's really easy, a lot of the accommodation places also help with transfers. Last year I paid under £1000 for 9 days self catering in August on the Costa blanca (nice quiet area) for 6 of us so it can be done.

Vagaceratops Mon 07-Jan-13 14:58:38

Where did you go in Majorca last year?

Fluffy1234 Mon 07-Jan-13 14:48:28

Check out travel republic website. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the price especially if you don't mind Tuesday or Wednesday flights which seem to be a bit cheaper than weekend ones. You may find being slightly flexible on length makes a difference with or price e.g 6 or 8 nights.

TheLittleMe Mon 07-Jan-13 07:40:55

We managed it in Majorca last August!

TheLittleMe Mon 07-Jan-13 07:40:38

sad

MaureenShit Mon 07-Jan-13 07:39:20

NOT A HOPE for that much in August I think.

TheLittleMe Mon 07-Jan-13 07:38:39

We are getting married in Aug 2013, and are going to take our two children on 'honeymoon' straight away afterwards. They will be 8 and 14 months. We don't mind all inclusive or self catering, but our budget for AI is £2k, and for SC is £1500. We want to go away for a week, and are liking the sound of one if the Greek islands or Portugal (did Majorca last year). Any suggestions for accommodation? Needs to be somewhere that the 8 year old is likely to make friends/ has a kids club

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now