Is Santa Eulalia in Ibiza nice?

(35 Posts)
goodtoesnaughtytoes Sun 06-Jan-13 17:21:19

Looking at family hols for June/July. Dd 4 and Dd 1. We have been to Port de Pollensa and loved it. Went to Sa Coma in 2012 and didn't like that so much hmm. Is Santa Eulalia very built up/ too touristy or does it have charm?

goodtoesnaughtytoes Sun 06-Jan-13 21:20:28

Bump

SorrelForbes Sun 06-Jan-13 21:24:57

I went there (Es Cana) with my sister in 2006. It wasn't my cup of tea I'm afraid (although our Sol Melia hotel was very nice). No charm whatsoever IMHO. It was all a bit seedy and touristy.

We took our kids to Portugal last year which was much better.

makemineapinot Sun 06-Jan-13 21:40:04

sorry i have never been but have heard it's touristy. Am looking at Puerto Pollensa - can you recommend anywhere? Sorry - total hijack here!

goodtoesnaughtytoes Sun 06-Jan-13 21:44:47

We have been to PP twice. Puerto Azul and Playa Mar. Both great. Full on Thomson family experience st the Playa Mar. Bit more laid back at Azul so depends what you are after. Lots of people rent apartments/ villas in PP - nice but pricey.

coolkat Sun 06-Jan-13 21:44:47

We have stayed in es Cana a few times and always done the trAin ride to st eulalia and thought it was lovely. There is a marina and a few more shops than es Cana - but I suppose we were all different. I would go smile

goodtoesnaughtytoes Sun 06-Jan-13 21:45:47

Sorrell, I've never been to Portugal. I'm not sure why but never fancied it enough. Where did you go?

SorrelForbes Sun 06-Jan-13 21:48:39

We stayed in a villa about 10 minutes from Tavira (East Algarve - not the 18-30 bit). 2 mins from the the beach (which was fairly uncrowded even in August) and only 10 mins from the Tavira town beach (also very nice). Tavira in the afternoons and evenings is very good with street markets etc. The food is great and I found it cheaper than Italy, France and Germany.

I was surprised at how pleasant it all was.

1991all Tue 08-Jan-13 11:51:44

Es Cana is not Santa Eulalia. They couldn't be more different

St Eulalia is lovely
2 calm shallow bays
Promenade and Marina to walk
Tonnes of restaurants, only one or 2 pie and chips type places

It's not built up and touristy at all

iseenodust Tue 08-Jan-13 12:00:46

We holidayed in Playa del Ingles which is a short boat hop around the coast from Santa Eulalia. For the age of your DC, Playa Del Ingles has one of the most gently shelving beaches in a very sheltered cove I've come across. Very much a family resort not 18-30 crowd, small and no quaint cobbles. Had lunch is St E one day and liked marina/promenade but beach small for size of resort. (Portugal is cold Atlantic remember!)

BrianButterfield Tue 08-Jan-13 12:01:22

St Eulalia isn't very touristy - it's quite quiet and charming.

ibizagirl Tue 08-Jan-13 12:08:36

Play del Ingles is in Gran Canaria iseenodust, not Ibiza. Perhaps you are thinking of Play den Bossa? That is very touristy and loud.

Es Cana is quite quiet and we like it. Been to Santa Eulalia and it is similar but more shops. Can't say more as it was only a short visit.When we always picked up on the airport coach it looked ok but the passengers were older people. People who i have spoke to all liked it but they were older couples and not families. Have a look on Trip Advisor.

iseenodust Tue 08-Jan-13 12:30:01

Stand corrected on resort name. All of what I said applies to Cala Llonga. blush

We had a lovely holiday in Santa Eulalia when DCs were young. It's not at all tacky, has a very Spanish feel to it.

BoraBora Tue 08-Jan-13 17:48:59

I love it there. Have been about 4 times now.

1991all Tue 08-Jan-13 17:58:59

we actually have an apartment there, have been going for 15 years!

BrianButterfield Tue 08-Jan-13 18:00:17

We went to Cala Llonga and it was really lovely! The beach is great, very sheltered and although there's a good selection of bars, restaurants and shops it's very low-key and quite quiet. It's a short hop on the bus to Santa Eulalia.

AnyFucker Tue 08-Jan-13 18:07:20

I have been all over Ibiza, but not Santa Eulalia grin

My fave (main resort) place on Ibiza is Portinatx

loopsngeorge Wed 09-Jan-13 23:08:24

Sounds lovely - any recommendations of places to stay in Santa Eulalia? Ideally we want a hotel so the kids can get their nightly mini disco!

Lukat Thu 10-Jan-13 00:09:09

Go to portinax.... Gorgeous and great for kids. We visited SE and yes it looked lovely, not tourist at all.... We would def go there with out dd age 8 & 10, we love Ibiza.

Lukat Thu 10-Jan-13 00:09:46

With OUR.... not OUT!!!! lol

charlearose Thu 10-Jan-13 00:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ibizagirl Thu 10-Jan-13 06:22:50

I have been told Portinatx is difficult if you have a pushchair because it is on a steep incline, trudging up and down to the beach and all that. And also there is hardly anything there ie shops or bars/restaurants. Not my views, other peoples.

AnyFucker Thu 10-Jan-13 07:40:11

I don't find Portinatx particularly hilly (in comparison to somewhere like Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria, eg), and there were enough shops for me (I don't do shopping on holiday)

charlearose Thu 10-Jan-13 13:37:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now