Meals on the plane Jet2 and Viva menorca hotel yey or ney?

(17 Posts)

anyone stayed anywhere else sc in calan bosch they can HIGHLY recommend?

makemineapinot Sun 06-Jan-13 22:19:02

Cala n Bosch is lovely and I've stayed at the paradise on sc which i would thoroughly recommend - it was fab and central without any resort noise!! There's enough for dc to get involved with free of charge! The square area near harbour is really sociable for families to eat out and for kids to dance about to the live music!! I agree that AI is killing the resorts - we went to Cala Egos (nr Cala d'Or) last year and kids meals were 2e75 - restauarants were having to cut prices to get people in! But IMO Ai is never really worth it as I hate buffet food every night and part of my holiday is wandering about choosing somehwre to eat every night. We went for 2 weeks last year - ate out every night and drank as well and took home change from 700e! We also did trips etc and there were 3 of us. Didn't skimp on what we wanted and that was peak season too. Looking at Porto Polensa this year! And I second not buying meals on the plane - just snacks and buy water at airport!

MamaGeekChic Sun 06-Jan-13 20:32:23

Not familiar with the hotel but wouldn't bother with meals on the flight, is it not only 2hrs? Just take some snacks

pearlgirl Sun 06-Jan-13 20:28:43

We booked a villa through Travel Menorca.co.uk and had a fab time. Villa was fab and they were really helpful.

and then just sleep on the beach? thanks for the info

Ebayaholic Sun 06-Jan-13 18:18:16

IIRC owners direct used to offer a money back guarantee in that scenario providing you registered the holiday within a few days of booking it but don't any more. Check your holiday insurance as they may cover it or pay by credit card so that you could try and claim it back through the section 79 clause.

if you book a villa through owners direct what happens if you get there and it doesnt exist?

Thanks for your help, i think were looking for some decent self catering more near tot he marina area in that case. I do like a nice big pool to float about in.

Ebayaholic Sun 06-Jan-13 16:56:39

It's a lovely safe resort and you wouldn't feel unsafe once there. The villas are mostly in cap d'artrux which is a bit of a trek from the marina but there are a few local shops and bars too. Having your own pool instead of crowding round a hotel one is such bliss. PM me if you need any more specific info.

DH has just poo pood a villa as he said he would feel a bit vunerable to being murdered in his bed or robbed being just the 4 of us .

if i could get something where kids have a bed too that would be a super bonus instead of a bed sofa - you know like a 2 bed appt.

a villa appeals i dontmind eating in as long as we eat out on a night mostly, problem is i looked at villas and as not familiar with area when says captrux or whatever it says or near smaller beach it throws me in a taz waz lol - am just looking at paradise club and spa in another window whilst on here - and yes cala dor i will consider if there is plenty places to eat out at and you can give me a firm recommendation - air conditioning, big nice pool, close to the beach and resort centre but not noisy full of hooligans..... small askds smile

landofsoapandglory Sun 06-Jan-13 16:02:34

We always go Self Catering. We buy croissants, bread, cereals for breakfast and do sandwiches in the apartment at lunchtime. We went to Lanzarote last Summer for a week, we aren't big drinkers and all in all we spent less than £1k on food, days out, presents, ice cream etc. Our kids are teens so eat adult meals.

If you do go to Cala n Bosch, there are loads of restaurants. They all do kids meals, so you can eat out quite reasonably.

Have you looked at Cala D'Or in Majorca? That's nicer than Cala n Bosch iMO, and the Algarve is really nice too.

Ebayaholic Sun 06-Jan-13 15:56:09

Hi I'm going to Cala en Bosc for the third year running in August too. It's the best family resort I've ever been to. We are hiring a villa, have you considered this? With a bit of careful planning it is possible to live cheaply- do a big shop in an out of town supermarket, don't use the bars and restaurants in the marina, there are loads of very cheap ones just off the marina.
It sounds like you wouldn't really need the AI option.
It's a shame but the resort is quiet now in comparison to how it used to be and the local bars and restaurants are in jeopardy, mostly because of all inclusives. It's a really big deal.
I recommend the titanic pool bar which is just next to the viva menorca- it has free trampolines, ball pits etc.
What I love about menorca is the fact that its entirely couples and families.

I have been but with flights £1k then were looking at £800 a week for a villa its coming in at £2.6k - its really difficult, the princess playa looked canny for half board but weighs in at 3k - we have to go in august hols too sad. Norfolk is looking more and more attractive to be honest , viva is only one i have found with no bad comments. Anyone recommend some good sc accomadation there central located, nice big pool,,,,,,,?

landofsoapandglory Sun 06-Jan-13 15:39:23

I went to the Viva Menorca when it was new. It was all right, nothing special. The rooms were quite small, our DC were about 4&6 at the time and it was a squeeze. I would be gutted if I had spent 3.5K to stay there TBH! If I were you I would look for a villa and go self catering.

Really agonising over a holiday in menorca and decided upon calan bosch and down to hotel viva but do i really want to pay £3.5k for 11 nights all inclusive or will it cost me that much in food anyway? Were not big drinkers so not bozing all day to get moneys worth that wy so what do you Menorcan visitors recommend for a family of 4 with a 6 and 10 year old? SC or AI ? ALso its that long since we been abroad whats this about opting to buy meal on plane - are they dire and i should just take me ham sangers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now