Holiday village: Heaven or hell?

(8 Posts)
Masalamama Mon 07-Jan-13 22:55:33

Thanks so much everyone. Decision is made. Think we're going to gun for Tenerife and do a long haul later in the year.

TwoIfBySea Fri 04-Jan-13 17:33:54

Just to add I've always managed to avoid the types who park themselves all day every day at the bar. It's very easy to do.

Also although I didn't go to the Tenerife one I've heard good things about it and it does seem a cut above the rest.

TwoIfBySea Fri 04-Jan-13 17:32:36

Holiday villages were good for me and my dts when they were a little younger as the activities they got to do were great. Things like archery, raft building etc. Meant I actually got to relax on holiday!

There will always be folk on holiday that will have you going cat's bum face. Do what my friends and I do and invent a game of All Inclusive Bingo to be played over the year. It is what you make it.

Virgil Fri 04-Jan-13 17:29:42

There was a thread about this yesterday which might be worth looking at.

IMO if you didn't like centerparcs you should steer well clear of the holiday villages. We have been twice to the one in sharm. During term time it was fine. During school holidays it was horrendous.

Winterwalk Fri 04-Jan-13 17:26:33

Just re-read your post. IMHO, tattoos and football shirts are not typical CP clobber. Far more boden & bugaboo territory. Though when we started going 8yrs ago everyone was wearing north face anoraks and pushing a phil&teds!

Winterwalk Fri 04-Jan-13 17:22:06

We have done 2 holiday villages though not the Tenerife one. Tbh, they were great holidays with loads to do for the kids when they were preschoolers but take the 4/5 ratings with a pinch of salt. We have stayed in 5* accom and the FC holiday villages are not that. Having said that, both were clean and the food was good though I've heard that varies from one to the other. There was lots and lots for the kids to do and they loved it both times. So we found it quite relaxing esp the Mallorca one. I've heard quite negative views on the one on the Costa and the Lanzarote one but the Tenerife one is very new so hopefully all good.

I have to declare though that we go to centerparcs for a wk every oct half term and love it. Have never had any issue with loutish behaviour or even seen anyone carrying a crate of beer. That sounds hideous but it isn't typical of our experience.
Hth

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 03-Jan-13 22:33:35

I'm pretty sure this is the resort that my friend went to with her two and she loved it. They like to stay in top end accomodation normally but wanted an easy holiday. They recommended it highly.

Masalamama Thu 03-Jan-13 22:30:51

Totally confused about our next holiday. DD is 4 and DS is 2.5. Our aunty has land in North Tenerife and has been asking us to visit as it's so child friendly. She has recommended the Luabay resort which operates as a Holiday Village for First Choice in summer and it looks and sounds very child friendly for a two-week trip in June. Also, cheap enough to go AI and eat out if we prefer.

I wonder if the resort will be full of loud Brits and wayward kids, out for a bit of cheap beer and cold buffet! DH and I have never been AI before. We tried Centre Parcs last year and were quite disturbed by the tatttoed football t-shirt wearing types unloading their crates of Fosters and then keeping us up with drunken parting all night. Does anyone have the inside track on this resort or advice on what to look out for with AI?

Sorry if this sounds a bit snobby, but even cheap and cheerful is a fair bit of money for us and travelling with the kids isn't going to be easy. Just want to make sure we avoid any obvious pitfalls (or even AI altogether).

Thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now