The best Family holiday you have been on & where you stayed?

(274 Posts)
MorningCoffee Sat 29-Dec-12 13:07:42

Looking for our summer 2013 holiday, What is the best Family friendly holiday you have been on & the nicest hotel/apartment you have stayed in?

currytina41 Sun 27-Jul-14 10:25:29

I have an 11 yr old girl and 13 yr old boy. Looking
at european summer holiday destinations.
Can anyone recommend a hotel with activities for
kids but walking distance to shops and restaurants.
We do not want all inclusive. Thanks

weatherall Sat 26-Jul-14 14:46:29

Bumping this for people looking for last min holiday ideas.

Suttonmum1 Fri 23-May-14 17:52:56

I second what has been written by a few people above. We had a great time walking with HF holidays at St Ives, despite the kids swearing blind they did not want to go on a walking holiday. Fantastic walks along the coastal paths each day, with a massive self selected lunch, and coach to get you at start/end.

Also combined a stop at Europa Park in Germany with a holiday in Austrian Alps last year. Bell Rock hotel was indeed very good.

Recommend Norcenni Girasole via Eurocamp/Thomson/Keycamp about half hour from Florence. Good pools and great places to visit too. local train into Florence.

triplets Fri 23-May-14 00:21:48

cathy I have three 16yr olds and am looking for a last holiday together too! Have you found anything?

millsoid Wed 16-Apr-14 12:57:16

also, Nerja is great too x

millsoid Wed 16-Apr-14 11:38:41

great feed, can I add st georgious in corfu. been twice, amazing.

cathy61 Sun 13-Apr-14 20:20:31

We have 2 16 year old boys, very active and looking for an active holiday for them but hot and relaxing for us holiday. We want them to meet other teenagers but be safe. Possibly an aparthotel near to a town. Usual previous destinations Skiathos, kolios bay and Eurocamp South of France. Could be our last family holiday and we want to make a good choice. Can anyone help please ?x

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 01-Apr-14 22:38:02

Some great suggestions here just bumping it for 2014 hols :-)

Salbertina Tue 15-Oct-13 12:48:33

We live overseas and my dc just
said

"please can we not go on holiday but just go home! Every time we go away we end up living there" shockshock

fussychica Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:23

Disney Florida staying at what was then Dixie Landings
Carbis Bay Cornwall
Playa Blanca Lanzarote for off peak holidays with good weather

luxurymummy Thu 03-Oct-13 18:11:05

Scotland believe it or not! West coast, Knoydart. Saw the milky way for first time at least I think it was, basking shark, pony trekking, beach barbeque with marshmallows, wading, crabbing, lots of prosecco and a ginormous outdoor hot tub. They even had a treadmill bonus for burning off the prosecco. We had two massages, masseuse comes to the house and they even arranged a babysitter for a night to let us out to the local pub The Old Forge which is the remotest in mainland Britain = one happy husband! Couldnt have doen enough for us, only 4 hours from Glasgow and we were in the tub glass in hand. www.knoydarthouse.co.uk but they are very busy - they are building one for couples but will take a toddler or 2 kids under 12 opening March 2014, just booked our break at Easter cant wait.

greyvix Fri 03-May-13 22:51:09

We always go to the Greek Islands, and continue to do so with 4 DCs now 18-25. It's very family friendly and relaxing.
OP, you cannot go wrong with Greece. Just watch Mamma Mia! and read Captain Correlli's Mandolin.

Soyamoi Tue 30-Apr-13 07:05:58

Oh… I have been to Domaine de la tour, one of the best place to stay, I really love its surrounding. For more details refer their website: www.domainedelatour.eu/

Mrsg26 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:15:57

Wow this thread has been a great source of info I've bookmarked so many places to research further so thought it only best to include my own. Our best holidays as a family have been in Australia and Florida. In Australia we stayed with family in Melbourne however we also went up to the Gold Coast and Brisbane went to a place called Moreton island where my (then) 2 yr old DD was able to hand feed wild dolphins at sunset. A memory i'll cherish forever although she doesn't remember it! In Florida we stayed at Vista Cay, and I'd be hard pushed to stay anywhere else in Orlando it was fantastic.

The last few years we have stayed in key camp/Eurocamp campsites in France, Holland and Italy. Last June we stayed at bella italia on lake Garda. A fab place for kids and we did day trips to Venice and Verona. Was by far the best holiday we have ever had in Europe. My daughter is now 5 and in primary 1 at school so this is our first time going abroad at peak summer holidays and I'm finding it so difficult to try and book something within a reasonable budget!

Wilso Mon 25-Feb-13 17:23:50

We loved the Sani Beach Resort. Lovely restaurant, marina, staff and beach.

The Beach club looked really nice so we will stay there next time!

And a kids club for little ones which is one of the most important things.

lottie63 Sun 24-Feb-13 06:16:38

Marking my place here too

1978andallthat Sat 23-Feb-13 23:40:22

Watching

bacon Fri 22-Feb-13 17:49:22

Prob a flortilla holiday I had with ex 15 years ago. It was around Greece with Neilson holidays.

spababe Thu 21-Feb-13 15:28:59

Forgot to say children under 11 go FREE, children up to 17 get a 50% discount and grandparents travelling with you get a 10% discount
yes, in the school holidays :-)

spababe Thu 21-Feb-13 15:26:52

In the UK we have had brilliant holidays with HF Holidays at St Ives and Freshwater in the IoW. Their Family plus holidays are for younger children and family for older children. Each day they put on 3-4 walks of varying lengths (so you can choose how fit you are lol) although you don't have to go on the walks at all and in the evening there is entertainment of different varieties eg quizes, theatre trips, rounders etc.
It is fully catered including a packed lunch you order sandwiches the night before and pic n mix all the other items you want to take out.
It's quite a communal holiday but we have met some lovely people and I think it would be great for single parents as they would have some adult company as well. All the kids muck in together on the walks and the games and the older ones often create their own table at dinner.
There is an outdoor pool at some locations which all the kids seem to love.
Food is great I would say 'posh pub' standard and the staff have always been very helpful with everything.

MorningCoffee Fri 15-Feb-13 22:34:19

Wow I forgot I had started this thread, so many amazing ideas and different holidays on here.
We ended up booking our August holiday for 2 weeks in Greece at the new holiday village, it seemed ideal for the kids.
Can anyone tell me about Greece we have never been I believe it's in marmari.

After reading this thread Dubai & the Maldives are on our list.

WhatKindofFool Tue 05-Feb-13 18:01:19

Looks lovely franticallty envy

franticallyjugglinglife Sun 03-Feb-13 09:26:38

I second nerja... Been twice and it's v child friendly and relaxing... We're staying a little inland this year at this villa near Frigliana which is lovely and still only 5 mins from beach.

MrsT037 Sat 02-Feb-13 23:27:50

In Cornwall I would really recommend a place called 'the bay talland'... Beautiful holiday houses overlooking the sea, hot tubs, treatments and lovely indoor pool. Stayed there 3 times and loved it. Also Court Farm Holidays near Bude is fab especially for pre schoolers... I think it is in the 'mums net top 10'.... Great at any time of the year without having to do the whole 'holiday park' thing....

Am watching this thread with interest as have spent weeks trying to decide on somewhere further afield which offers plenty for our 4 year old to do.... Anyone know of somewhere warm ish in March/April but with kids clubs/activities that are actually open at that time? Spain/Greece/Cyprus/Balearics or maybe canaries...

Carrie37 Wed 23-Jan-13 23:28:45

For those of you who can't fly Ireland is beautiful. Ferry from Dublin to Holly head. Best place to stay with kids Slieve Russell hotel for Spa, kids club and good food. Have family rooms and adjoining room for up to 6. Nicest place in Ireland is little Island called Achill Island not sure where to stay but beautiful.

In France Chateau des Ormes in Brittany for active kids and Chateau des Marais in Loire only place we ever went back too!!

For somewhere different Seattle is fantastic you can ski right up to April and drive up to Vancouver BC too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now