Etna, what's best? EMERGENCY

(9 Posts)
OhYouBigBadBeast Sun 28-Oct-12 16:18:43

We did set off early but I've no idea why other than we hiked back down.

Alameda Sun 28-Oct-12 16:13:20

is it always best to go first thing in the morning do you think? They all seem to leave so early, suppose is not so cloudy then?

thanks again!

squidgeberry Sun 28-Oct-12 16:08:37

You could go up on the cable car, and look from there, we took a minibus tour round the top, which was great, but you don't have to.

OhYouBigBadBeast Sun 28-Oct-12 16:04:29

The cable car takes you part way, then there are buses that can take you to within sight of one of the craters. However it is snowy up there and can be very icy in parts. Also it's high up and if you are prone you can get a bit of altitude sickness
Tis a very splendid place and well worth it smile

Alameda Sun 28-Oct-12 16:03:53

ok, thanks

of course haven't brought anything very practical to wear so maybe will just admire from the ground this time and save for next trip

life is cruel

squidgeberry Sun 28-Oct-12 15:58:32

It's not a hike, but it is rough stones underfoot, plus it's really windy, and dusty so wear a coat and a scarf. Probably trainers would be better than ballet flats.

Alameda Sun 28-Oct-12 15:54:08

can I do that without trekking gear do you think? Have an injured foot and it won't go in my boots yet, just occurred to me that ballet flats might not be too practical confused

Gigondas Sun 28-Oct-12 15:46:53

You can drive up and take a cable car to crater

Alameda Sun 28-Oct-12 15:42:51

um not actual emergency but feels quite pressing now I think about it

if you couldn't afford a helicopter ride over the crater what is the next best thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now