Egypt with 2 little ones?

(18 Posts)
iseenodust Tue 06-Nov-12 09:44:05

The political situation has deteriorated in Egypt. Not a good time to go.

givemeaclue Tue 06-Nov-12 09:39:25

There are lot, of upmarket hotels in Cyprus but I don't know of any up market areas he you see what. I mean, avoid paphos

mumblechum1 Fri 02-Nov-12 17:49:13

I was thinking of booking 4 nights in the Four Seasons Sharm el Sheikh but a bit put off by this thread.

It would be for dh's birthday in Feb, I just fancy a bit of sunshine, but Cape Verde looks like a long way to go for 4 nights.

What are the upmarket areas of Cyprus?

milkybarsrus Sat 13-Oct-12 23:05:01

We went to Egypt and we all had really bad stomachs and I will never return to the country again, I hated it! My 1 year old was so ill, it made me cry seeing him writhe around in so much pain for days. We were extremely careful with what we ate, drank, teeth brushing and even showering, but we all were so ill. Definately go to the canaries, its much better for little ones!

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Wed 10-Oct-12 09:45:08

Hi moojie have you booked anywhere yet?
I was drawn to this thread as I'm in same position as you - looking for sun in November and will have a 13mo.
Someone at work recommended Egypt but reading this thread has put me off!

I am going to look into Cape Verde.

beeny Mon 17-Sep-12 22:40:29

The Azure is not the same as the Grand Azur that is different.

jkklpu Mon 17-Sep-12 19:48:14

Just make sure you get tip-top travel insurance

Holidaysking Mon 17-Sep-12 19:46:26

I've been to both Sharm and Lanzarote with little ones and my recommend would be Lanzarote. You are right that the weather in Egypt may be a bit hotter and bit more reliable. But bear in mind you can get a chill wind down the coast in Egypt which can be unpleasant, especially getting in and out of the sea/pools.

Unless you are incredibly unlucky, the Canaries will still be warm enough for sunbathing - the two times I've been to Lanzarote I've been in December and I've been in my trunks everyday! Lanzarote has other major advantages: no time difference (and even the 2 hours for Egypt has an effect); shorter flights (about 1.5 hours less - which can be a lifesaver on a charter flight with no leg room and wriggling children); food is better (more variety); and there's much more do outside of your resort. Egypt is very much about staying put and the kinds of excursions available - diving, visiting Mt Sinai etc. - aren't really what you want to do with kids under 3.

If you need a recommend for accommodation, look at the Princesa Yaiza in Lanzarote - nice big one-bed rooms with kitchenette, so you can put the children to bed and then retreat to the lounge (the bedroom fits a cot AND a camp bed, as well as a huge king size for you). There are several pools, a kids club, it's directly on the prom/beach and you can walk to a great choice of restaurants. Even if you don't want to stay in a hotel, there are loads of villas in Playa Blanca to choose from and it's incredibly kid friendly. As popflos says, read The Trunki Files' guide to Lanzarote, it could help: http://thetrunkifiles.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/destination-guide-lanzarote/

Save Sharm for when the kids are a bit older and really get a kick out of snorkelling and camel rides is my advice!

conorsrockers Sun 16-Sep-12 21:36:41

beeny - we went to the Azure too!

The food wasn't awful - just depends what you normally eat I suppose! To be fair, we didn't go for the food grin

marge2 Sun 16-Sep-12 20:59:52

We went to Luxor with a 5 and 3 year old. 4 years ago I think it was. Granted - it was before all the political hassle. We had a fab time. Kids liked it. Only one ting went wrong, whivch actually turned out for the best in the end. Despite me phoning several times to ensure we had adjoining rooms we didn't get them, but the hotel manager could see someone had mucked up and it was useless for us with two little kids, so with no further ado, gave as a suite overlooking the Nile at no extra charge. AMAZING views. We did a dawn balloon ride over the nile. Just superb. We went on camels and feluccas. Spent hours in the Karnak temple (We did lose DS1 for ages which was severly alarming!), paid for a private tour of the Valley of the kings which actually worked out cheaper than the guied tour. Hotel was great. food was good. We did get a little tummy trouble, but it only really started the last day and so most of the trouble bit was a home.

beeny Sun 16-Sep-12 20:54:59

We went to the hotel Grand Azur in Sharmh el Sheikh last winter have booked again.I am a very fussy eater food was amazing.We had a 5 year old and 2 year old.

Bunbaker Sun 16-Sep-12 20:51:03

Why would anyone go on holiday and expect mediocre food? That would be a deal breaker for me.

conorsrockers Sun 16-Sep-12 20:41:11

We went to Egypt this summer (July), Sharm-el-Sheikh. Nowhere near Cairo so you don't need to worry about the politics. We have 3DS - 9, 6 and 5. Food is not fantastic, but it's food - we went with Thomson and the kids club was brilliant. Had no sickness/diarrhoea at all.
Cyprus is also good they - the Cypriots really love children and the food is better, probably not as warm as Egypt, but not much in it.
Have a good holiday!!

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Sun 16-Sep-12 20:31:35

I wouldn't go to Egypt atm and I certainly wouldn't take little ones. Somebody I know often goes to Cyprus in November and comes back with a tan.

popflos Sun 16-Sep-12 20:29:46

the service in egypt is not what you expect for resort prices and the food is boring and the resorts them selves will lack any atmosphere at all.. not a big fan of your idea! go to the canaries. there is a blog called the trunkifiles, you can find him on facebook, he will help and is a huge fan of canaries i seem to remember..
ps.. sun bathing with 2 small children, you' ll be lucky!!

Bunbaker Fri 14-Sep-12 18:31:27

What about Cape Verde instead?

gordonpym Thu 13-Sep-12 14:16:03

More than dodgy tummies, I would be concern about political situation in that area.
Anyway, just so you don't hate me, as long as you stay in a big chain resort, no worries. Of course use bottled water when washing teeth, and be careful in the bath so they don't put water in their mouth, and you'll be just fine.

moojie Wed 12-Sep-12 14:35:40

We NEED some sun so we are looking to go away beginning of November to somewhere AI for 2 weeks. Looked at Canaries but I'm not sure that it will be warm enough to sunbathe so my other thought is Egypt. We have 2 boys 3 yrs and will be 7 months. Anyone been with little ones? Slightly concerned about dodgy tummies. Any recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now