Q E Boys school Barnet

(18 Posts)
stressed2009 Mon 12-Oct-09 00:18:53

Any opinions. Looking for schools for ds, he is a bright sporty boy. His teacher suggested this school. Does anyone have any experiences.

3littlefrogs Mon 12-Oct-09 03:54:08

He will have to be very very bright. It is 100% academically selective and very demanding. However, if his teacher thinks he can cope, go and visit it. Thousands of boys sit the exm evry year. I can't remember how many places per year group.

Some people think it is a bit of a boot camp, but as long as your ds isn't sensitive and is a high flyer he could do very well. It is just about the top state school in the country - always in the top 10.

It is good to go to the open evening in year 5, then again in year 6.

Dame Alice Owens is also very good if you prefer a mixed school - you are talking about 1200 plus candidates sitting the exam for 63 places though, unless you live on the doorstep.

stressed2007 Mon 12-Oct-09 08:29:07

It is a fantastic school - know several men that went there and they are all good guys who have done well.

stressed2007 Mon 12-Oct-09 08:30:17

oh my goodness - you have stolen my name! Aahhhhhhhh - have I gone mad and sending messages to myself?

harrowonthehill Thu 02-May-13 22:25:58

What was the admission cut off score in Queen Elizabeth's School in Barnet this year ? Their website states that Waiting List number 26 has got admission,

tiggytape Thu 02-May-13 22:45:33

The only thing I have heard about QE that would worry me slightly relates to their 6th form selection (all internal as no external candidates are admitted).

The school takes 180 boys but only keeps around 140 for A levels. An unofficial 'cull' is the term sometimes used to describe the process whereby internal exams not GCSE predictions dictate who is allowed to study the more popular A Level subjects (maths and sciences at QE) effectively forcing some students to leave if they are deemed unsuited to study the subjects they want.
Of course, this will only be a problem for a minority of students even if the practice still exists in 6 years time but I know it has upset a lot of people over the past couple of years eg boys predicted A* maths but not allowed to take it up at A level and having to leave their friends behind.

tiggytape Thu 02-May-13 22:51:17

I should add that the school say (as far as I know) that there is no cull. They simply tell boys which options they are suited to at A Level based on school assessments. The possibility exists that the boy's opinion on the subjects he should study will differ from the school's resulting in making an informed decision about whether it's right to stay on.

The unhappier parents say it is re-selection for Y12 that they hadn't expected having passed selection for Yr7

The way you view this obviously depends on whether the school allows you to take up the A Levels you wish or whether staying for 6th form is an important consideration (some people plan to go private for A Levels anyway).

Calouste Fri 03-May-13 07:29:15

We went to see it last year and thought it looked really great, we do have some reservations with regards to it whether it allows development of creativity in the boys. They didn't really show us much on the Drama, Art, Classical & Choral Music. I can see why some people may think it's a bit of a boot camp, but I suppose you can't ask for everything. Anyway we are going to apply for Sept 2014 entrance as a back up to our other school choices, as we are in no mans land with regards to local catchment areas.

Taken from the school website.

The number of intended admissions at age 11 for the year commencing September 2014 will be 180.

Entrance Test Request Forms:
Available from 1st May 2013
We strongly recommend submission by 24th July 2013
Final deadline for submission is noon on 2nd September 2013

Open Evening:
4th July 2013
From 3 pm - last admission at 7:30 pm

Entrance Tests:
25th September 2013

Some interesting threads on this on the EPE website. I will try to find a link.

JBX2013 Mon 06-May-13 10:54:24

Hi stressed2009!

If your son needs an academic, competitive, regimented environment, with a clinical focus on exam success, this school will work for him. The rugby, swimming and water polo can also help when the testosterone rush comes, as it surely will. …. But it's their way or the highway, it really is. There is an extreme obsession with Academic and University Entrance League Tables.

And, yes, they reselect in Year 11 for A levels. This is based on their observations up until then and several tests per subject. They only ‘offer’ A levels where they judge that an A* or A grade is likely and predictable. GCSE performance, according to predicted or actual grades, is irrelevant to this evaluation. This cull rejects some 40 boys out of the Year 7 intake of 180, that’s approaching 30%. Many rejected boys nevertheless go on to become successful Doctors , Lawyers, etc via other schools. You can guess what these young men think of QE Boys.

The school will not support any University Application against its own wishes. e.g. If a boy wants Medical School and the school recommends Biology, the school will predict A grades for Biology but not for Medicine. So the boy will have to leave in the middle of A Levels or, generally, wait for his A grades, prove them wrong and then apply during an enforced gap year. We know some boys who were forced to do this and succeeded, but lost a year along the way. (They did not need QE Boys’ support on predicted grades when then had their actual grades. …. Needless to say, the school still claimed credit for their A Level grades and their University Entrance success, in its publicity and its League table figures!)

I know lots of families which targeted QE Boys and now send them there. They are content overall; they have a pragmatic, competitive approach to getting in and to staying in. Many families also feel they should not speak openly about certain aspects of Q E Boys’ culture and practices.

I also know some who refuse to even apply. One recently chose Latymer (Edmonton) instead, even though QE Boys is closer and easier to get to.
Where do you live? … Commuting might also be an issue to consider.

Karenmum1 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:42:13

could you please tell me what is the waiting list going to be this time in QE. Any suggestions please.

Karenmum1 Tue 04-Mar-14 23:24:50

could anybody please tell me what's going to be the waiting list of QE barnet this year and upto what number in waiting list could get admission.

ladybyron Wed 05-Mar-14 08:53:35

Go to the 11plus forum. Lots of discussion re QEB waiting list there.

tryingreallytrying Wed 05-Mar-14 17:40:20

On the contrary - the desperate QE threads that re usually there are notable for their absence this year. I think QE has shot itself in the foot by its lack of transparency - now the truth is out there is lots of bad feeling - better to be honest in the first place.

As it is the top candidates will go elsewhere.

TheBeautifulVisit Wed 05-Mar-14 19:09:49

All selective schools reselect for sixth form. Some are more brutal than others. And in a way it's good that QEB doesn't accept external candidates into its sixth form. At least you can see the results of the QEB product. Many other schools kick out at sixth form and admit a bunch of highly talented individuals from other schools. So when you see their A level results and their university destinations, it's difficult to attribute achievement solely to that sixth form.

lu9months Wed 05-Mar-14 20:53:37

my son got into latymer and QE, we put latymer first even though its not as high up the league tables because we felt it suited him (and us!) better - more music, art etc, co-ed, more laid back. are you in the right area to consider latymer? if so go and have a look round and see what you think. my DS is in year 7 and likes it a lot.

Karenmum1 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:55:42

Still not confirmed , could anybody help me with the waiting list of QE. Upto what waiting list number boys can get into QE. Any suggestions please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now