Another Headteacher gone from West London Free School?

(147 Posts)
orangecurd Mon 05-May-14 19:52:52

According to the Good Schools Guide, Mr Naismith 'left abruptly in May 2014'. This must obviously have been in the last few days. Do any current parents (or anyone else) know more?

orangecurd Mon 05-May-14 20:21:22

Ps no axe to grind about Free Schools, just interested because it's the closest school to us and my son will be making secondary choices this autumn.

MrsMaturin Mon 05-May-14 21:57:29

Wow - how many is that 3?

vindscreenviper Mon 05-May-14 22:03:51
BewitchedBefuzzledBewildered Mon 05-May-14 22:45:59

The head of Primary has gone? Does anyone have anymore info?

HeadteacherWLFSP Tue 06-May-14 12:47:52

Dear all, this is just to inform you that I am still in post as Headteacher of the West London Free School Primary and have no plans to leave. Those rumour mills… Best wishes, Natalie de Silva

orangecurd Tue 06-May-14 13:54:51

Natalie - thanks for your message. But can you shed any light on the WLFS secondary school situation which was the subject of my OP?

vindscreenviper Tue 06-May-14 14:37:55

Ah, I see there is a vacancy for an Assistant Head of the Primary, wonder if that's where the rumours are coming from. This article in the Standard doesn't really shed much light on the departure of the senior school Head

but it does quote a MN user!

christinarossetti Tue 06-May-14 14:37:56

Astounded that a headteacher has the time to be trawling MN during working hours, Natalie de Silva or is that someone from TY's press office?

And why would any halfway decent school even need a press office?

TY 'declining to comment' according to The Standard.

Sounds like there's trouble a' mill....

sinclair Tue 06-May-14 16:09:33

Glad to hear I had the story back to front and the lovely Ms de Silva is still in post - a (usually very reliable) source has been reprimanded - wishful thinking by certain local primaries perhaps...and one less thing for Toby to worry about.

MrsMaturin Tue 06-May-14 16:20:19

Obviously watching mumsnet closely hmm

MillyMollyMama Tue 06-May-14 17:48:35

No smoke without fire!

AnnyBee Tue 06-May-14 18:53:03

So is the head of the secondary school still in post?

vindscreenviper Tue 06-May-14 19:07:01

No, his job is advertised in this weeks TES AnnyBee, he has left mid-year for some reason.

christinarossetti Tue 06-May-14 21:14:08

Seriously, though. What on earth is a head teacher doing prowling round on MN during a working school day?

BewitchedBefuzzledBewildered Tue 06-May-14 21:46:49

What, HTs aren't allowed to mumsnet during lunch? Jeez

christinarossetti Tue 06-May-14 22:01:21

Just thought she might have something better to do.

Like run a school for example.

Just a thought.

wheresthebeach Wed 07-May-14 09:17:35

I agree...its odd for a HT to be on MN during the day. I realised they get a lunch break but it...well...just seems odd.

dippingbackin Wed 07-May-14 09:20:27

This is the second Head to leave WLFS very suddenly with no explanation. All very strange. Have posted about this before, never found out why the first one left.

Sam Naismith was the deputy so obviously knew what he was getting into. Very high turnover at such a senior level.

knickernicker Wed 07-May-14 09:39:13

My surmise w ith no knowledge of the situation is that head 1 was initially picked because he'd been head of minor public schools, the type Toby would like to imitate. Head 1 had probably been,a mediocre head in his previous schools and didn't cut it in a London State school. Head 2 was then promoted way too quickly, errors were probably made.
I think they need a head with experience of managing an urban school. Unfortunately this would mean that Toby's quaint ethos will be diluted. I'm not sure where he can go from here.

prh47bridge Wed 07-May-14 10:01:06

Nothing wrong with anyone browsing MN during their lunch break. The head shouldn't be running the school during her break. That's why it is called a break! She has the same rights to a break as any other employee.

Of course, it is equally possible that a parent with a child at WLFS drew this to her attention and she decided to respond.

vindscreenviper Wed 07-May-14 11:05:53

You're right of course prh, it's very likely that a parent/friend/colleague pointed her to this thread.

I don't know London at all, so can anyone local tell me if the £9.25 million paid for the WLFS's new building on Bridge Avenue, Hammersmith is good value for money? It doesn't appear to have any outdoor space, what about sport/P.E.?

christinarossetti Wed 07-May-14 12:15:46

No idea, but overall it sadly seems that there's no particular correlation between the setting up of free schools and value for money.

Or school places needed, for that matter.

levianne Wed 07-May-14 17:09:53

Holy moly, vindscreenviper, I didn't know about the Bridge Avenue building. That looks wholly unsuitable for a school, as it has large internal spaces so there won't be much natural light if they divide it into classrooms. Also, I'm sure the 20 local charities that were evicted from Paddenswick House for the WLFS to have it must be a bit miffed. (Unless the WLFS are being greedy and having both buildings?)

vindscreenviper Wed 07-May-14 17:22:38

The agents put the details on their website a month ago

www.hanovergreen.co.uk/hammersmith-office-building-sold-by-hanover-green

but there's no mention of it on the WLFS website, which still refers to plans for Palingswick (sp) House. I just find it very strange that they haven't been more forthcoming, surely the pupils and parents should have been told as soon as the ink was dry on the contract (and eye-watering cheque).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now