What household income for two children at private school nowadays, roughly?

(143 Posts)
KingfishersCatchFire Sat 08-Mar-14 18:22:35

Apologies as I am sure this has been done many times before, but I can't find a recent thread on it.

If you have two children at a good private school and are able to afford this comfortably without additional help from grandparents or work, would you mind telling me what is your annual household income? DH and I will be considering our options at some point, but I realise I am not sure how much most families in this situation actually earn. When I was at school the available scholarships were much higher and the fees much lower than they seem to be now.

Cretaceous Thu 13-Mar-14 12:47:07

If you are north of London, is it anywhere near Watford or Potters Bar? There's Watford grammar school, for which you need to pass the 11+. Dame Alice Owen in Potters Bar has some places based on an 11+ exam, some on music, and others on distance. Other people may know more good state schools. It depends what part of North London you are, I guess.

I know someone whose mother is paying for one of her grandchildren. But she can only afford to pay for one of the children, so the others go to a state school. Also, other people move out of London to a bigger house for less money, and use some of the capital from the sale.

LauraBridges Thu 13-Mar-14 10:17:02

South London - Dulwich college (about £16k a year)?

As for how people pay like someone said above just about everyone I have ever known in over 25 years as a fee paying private school parent pays out of their earned income. I have heard some have grandparents paying but do not know anyone who is lucky enough to have that or who has saved up capital sums to pay. It just comes off your earned income.

innercity Thu 13-Mar-14 10:02:02

Thank you for kind words.

innercity Thu 13-Mar-14 09:59:16

I meant North of London - my work is North of London and I know that it is cheaper the further out you go, but I can't really go. Anywhere around London. Yes, I heard there must be nice primaries (and secondaries) but I don't have a trained eye - as a foreigner I just buy what they say! I really liked the primary DS is in when I visited and only really undersood it when he spent a few years in it...

Pukkapik Thu 13-Mar-14 09:58:38

Inner city..I am sorry to hear your introduction to education in this country is not favourable.
But there are excellent schools and teachers to be found, state and private, and if you go private, some schools are cheaper than others, even in London. Also, some do bursaries and/or scholarships/sibling discount etc
Christs Hospital in Horsham particularly is known for the help given with fees. There are threads about this school already. I don't know it myself, but worth investigating. You mention Croydon. There are three private schools I can think of off the top of my head there - Trinity, Whitgift and Royal Russell, and I have heard that Trinity (boys school, with girls in VI form) has subsidised places.
My advice would be to have a look around. If you choose to go private in the end, rest assured there will be plenty of others in the same financial boat. There are lots of threads about this on mumsnet!
Good luck.

Cretaceous Thu 13-Mar-14 09:44:04

innercity - don't let this thread put you off! If I were you, I'd start a new thread asking for suggestions for suitable schools. (Burmahere is right about living out of the London catchment, where prices are crazy.)

Also, don't write off all state schools, despite your awful primary experiences. There is a huge range. Sadly, some are dire, but there are some excellent ones, although these are often difficult to get into.

Burmahere Thu 13-Mar-14 09:29:45

Sorry schools and housing far more expensive in London than the North!

Burmahere Thu 13-Mar-14 09:29:05

I would live up North if you could live anywhere then innercity not in London. Schools and houses far far more expensive.

My DC's school is probably a fraction of the price of some of the SE schools.

innercity Wed 12-Mar-14 23:46:28

This thread is quite anguish-inducing. I am foreign and find London state schools - or have found DS's primary - not living up to the proud name of the 'school'. I had to teach him myself as there was and still isn't any consistency, systematicity, and actual much - mmmm - teaching.

And though I am on a Professor's salary, it is tiny on the scale of finances discussed on this thread. So I was thinking of trying him for private secondaries, in the hope that it is good somewhere at least. At least somewhere there must be actual teaching going on. I thought I could live tightly. But hey, if it's about being surrounded by ppl with capital (haven't met such ones in the academic world) - what hope do I have left? Are there schools that are more modest? Where city workers wouldn't send their kids? South London rather than North? Croydon? Does it make sense to look for the school to which only those people who live poorly send their kids? Could anyone recommend a boy's school like this? I am free to move anywhere smile

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Tue 11-Mar-14 22:15:30

DD1 has been offered a trip to the US to visit Ivy League colleges - a snip at £3000. That would be a no, I think.

Burmahere Tue 11-Mar-14 17:37:39

I have absolutely no idea how any of my friends pay for their children to go to the private school where my three are. It would be the most unlikely conversation I would have thought to be honest? No-one knows how mine are paid for either and not likely to. I mean I wouldn't even disclose it on an anonymous forum so highly unlikely to discuss it in RL!

Soveryupset Tue 11-Mar-14 17:11:40

I would agree that people will have a mix of financial arrangements and they will be very unlikely to disclose them in real life!

ChocolateWombat Tue 11-Mar-14 16:56:39

I think in many independent schools there are certainly those who make huge sacrifices for their children to attend. The big name schools often have good bursaries, but people often have to pay something and that is often a stretch. The idea that everyone is rolling in it and paying purely from capital, is rather a narrow view I think, even for the most expensive schools.

Beingfrank Tue 11-Mar-14 16:26:44

But focus, how would you know? I haven't had this conversation with anyone in real life! We pay partly from income and top up from capital but I wouldn't imagine anyone knows that.

School fees planning as "sold" by IFAs - that is all targeted at building up capital over a number of years to pay the fees when the time comes, as far as I know. In that sense I imagine paying out of capital is pretty common for people without city type incomes to rely on?

TheBeautifulVisit Tue 11-Mar-14 16:04:14

Burmahere grin

Focusingkingqueen Tue 11-Mar-14 15:20:38

Yes sorry. We pay out of income. I meant everyone I know pays out of income I am not aware of anyone paying out of capital. It might help if I read what I write before posting.

Burmahere Tue 11-Mar-14 15:02:02

I thought that too The BeautifulVisit bit confusing! Focus appears to be vehemently agreeing with you grin!!

TheBeautifulVisit Tue 11-Mar-14 14:02:38

Focus - your post makes no sense. Do you mean you pay your school fees out of income? grin

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Mar-14 13:11:01

A lot of kid's at ds's school use public transport, as do we (because I can't drive). There are people turning up in giant BMW's but it's not the 'norm'.

Ds's school have a fund for the 'slightly educational but is abroad so it costs hundreds' trips. If he did want to go and I couldn't afford it then he could apply. I'm trying to encourage him to go one one though, so far they have been to Spain, Italy and France as it's a great opportunity for him and I can book myself into a spa while he's away but he's not interested. The trips to places in the UK come as part of the fees.

The thread's digressed a bit! grin Hope you're still OK, OP.

Soveryupset Tue 11-Mar-14 10:25:39

We don't have a mortgage but have 4 children and we are hoping to use some investments (unless the market crashes dramatically) to pay for the first two children's secondary school fees in bulk up to GCSE.

This will mean we will "only" be paying for 2 children at a time for the rest of the time. I think 2 children with 2 professional jobs and no mortgage or a very small one is doable. We are still going on a number of holidays although NOT expensive ones, more like camping and lodge type accommodation with the odd flight to Europe but mostly driving.

Apart from this we also have a rather frugal lifestyle, no fancy cars or expensive designer clothes, and I haven't seen much excess at DD's prep school either, there is the odd flash car but most are family cars and the odd really battered 20 year old car too.

Focusingkingqueen Tue 11-Mar-14 09:57:27

Seriously? I don't think paying school fees out of capital is rare at all. In fact pretty much everyone I know pays out of capital for independent day schools circa £15k a year. That's pretty much the norm although I expect that boarding schools may be different. We manage £20k per year of fees, 2x prep school which will rose at secondary out of capital with no problems. We have a decent sized mortgage, savings and a nice house. The children do all the clubs they like, go on class residentials and have nice birthday parties and we still eat out, go on holiday a couple of times a year, do work on our house etc etc. However I do concede that we have held on to our 7 year old car longer than we might have otherwise because we don't currently have a spare £15k that we particularly want to spend at the moment. What we don't have is the kind of money where we could easily fund the annual ski trip on top of everything else. We will budget for them to go once but that's it. They will do the French exchanges / D of E trips and similar but no, the big £3-4k trips won't be happening. I think that's fairly standard in private day schools and they certainly won't be the only ones. I still consider that we can comfortably manage private education.

TheBeautifulVisit Tue 11-Mar-14 08:43:29

Most people don't rely on income to pay school fees. Most have capital for school fees. People sacrificing holidays, new cars and new kitchens is rare.

BOFtastic Tue 11-Mar-14 08:38:07

I think you probably need to aim for somewhere between smug without being supercilious. That usually covers all bases.

Cretaceous Tue 11-Mar-14 08:27:42

There's a big difference between having the choice of going on (at least the cheaper) trips, and not having the choice to go at all, because your parents are scrimping and saving just to send you to the school. Obviously, not all parents will be able to afford all trips, and it's good for children to know they can't have everything.

Well, that's my thinking, anyway. smile

NearTheWindymill Tue 11-Mar-14 07:57:43

Perhaps I'm just unlucky then because mine have adored the school trips: one's a singer and does the music ones and the other did all the sports ones - and is even going on one this summer - even though he's left. Will be in the country anyway and is tagging along as a "helper"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now