Cranbrook School

(3 Posts)
AbiRoad Mon 11-Nov-13 08:56:27

I have a few questions about this school (may move to the area so interested in day places rather than boarding).

1. As I understand it the school currently starts at 13 which is unusual for a state school. Where does the intake come from, i.e. do they leave other grammars they joined at 11 or do they mainly do a couple of years of private or is it picking up people who just missed out on grammar at 11 and so view it as a second bite at the cherry?

2. I understand it is planning to move to an 11 plus intake. Is there info on how this would be phased in? eg are there are a couple of years worth of children who will miss out because 11+ was not available when they were that age, but by the time they are 13, the school has moved to 11+ intake? Or will they run 11+ and 13+ in parallel for a few years gradually increasing 11+ places and reducing 13+ places?

CowsGoMoo Mon 11-Nov-13 10:03:20

Hi, I dont know much about the phasing in of the 11+ but know about the 13+ as my dc's school is a feeder prep into it.
A lot of the children in the school have either been to the local prep schools which prepares them for the 13+ such as St. Ronans, Marlborough House, Vinehall, Claremont. Or they have done 2 years at the local senior doing extra private tuition after school to be able to compete at 13+ exams.
It is highly competitive to get in and the catchment area is getting smaller which is why boarding is popular.

AbiRoad Mon 11-Nov-13 11:19:28

thanks., what is the proportion day to boarder?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now