PE kit for first day of school

(23 Posts)
Tiggles Mon 02-Sep-13 15:31:34

Probably a dim question, but how likely is DS to need his PE kit on his first day at secondary? They have had a week's induction in July so I think they are pretty much straight into 'normal school'. I think he should take it just in case, DH is convinced they won't need it. School not answering the phone...

haggisaggis Mon 02-Sep-13 15:35:15

Did he not get a timetable during his induction? If he's timetabled for it, he will get it.

noblegiraffe Mon 02-Sep-13 15:37:41

If he had a week's induction does he already have his timetable?

Chances are he won't have PE and if he does have PE so many others won't have their kit that they won't do a practical.

BackforGood Mon 02-Sep-13 15:38:16

Probably not that likely - but that said, none of mine had a week's induction, so possibly more likely for your ds than my dd grin

Either way, my dd will be taking hers, as I think it's better to have it and not need it, than not have it if they do need it.

orangeandemons Mon 02-Sep-13 15:39:02

Am amazed at all these kids who got their timetable during induction. The staff in our school only got them on the last week of term

NoComet Mon 02-Sep-13 15:41:41

Almost certainly not DDs never do, they do planning and talking about things if there is PE first day back.

Tiggles Mon 02-Sep-13 15:44:14

No, he didn't get a timetable, they just had lots of lessons and maths tests etc. All the other forms did PE in the induction week except his.

PareyMortas Mon 02-Sep-13 15:46:19

Dd1 had PE on her first day in year seven, it was timetabled for the afternoon.

haggisaggis Mon 02-Sep-13 15:55:45

I know at ds's school that they go on to the new timetable at the end of June before school finishes for the summer - and I remember he already had his timetable before he started S1. But maybe it's different up here.

utterlyashamedofmyself Mon 02-Sep-13 16:01:27

I did PE on my first day of Senior school , I also didn't take my kit & ended up in detention not bitter at all

cricketballs Mon 02-Sep-13 16:10:41

at my place, normal lessons happen in the afternoon of the first day; timetables are only given out in the morning (as staff we are lucky if we get them in the last week of July). If he has pe in the afternoon I very much doubt it will be expected that he will have kit. The first PE lessons for all year 7 is not a practical lesson anyway as they have to go through rules, procedures, reminding them where everything is etc and then an information gathering exercise as in who prefers what sports, who does what outside of school etc

Tiggles Mon 02-Sep-13 16:24:02

grin after reading utterly's horror story I think I'll send him in with kit just to be on the safe side. He has autism, and if he gets something like that 'wrong' I may struggle to ever get him to go again.

Anthracite Mon 02-Sep-13 17:44:51

I imagine the PE teachers work each day of the week, so there is a chance he will have PE and will need his kit.

This reminds me that I still need to label DD's kit.

creamteas Mon 02-Sep-13 18:54:26

At my DCs school, normal lessons after morning break and detentions on day one in no PE kit sad

Does he have access to a locker? If so it is no hardship to take it in on day one and just leave it there till the first PE lesson anyway

Saffyz Mon 02-Sep-13 18:59:45

Might as well take it in case.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 02-Sep-13 19:06:06

Mine is taking hers. They should get their locker keys on the first day, so if she doesn't use it she can shove it in her locker and I won't have to think about it any more.

Hulababy Mon 02-Sep-13 19:09:02

DD hasn't had a timetable yet. She will take her PE bag in on the first day and it will then reside in her sport's locker.

mumslife Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:00

Son taken his for his own peace of mind really i know from my dd they dont do pe on the first pe lesson but can put it in his locker then its there when needed

Tiggles Mon 02-Sep-13 22:48:23

Thanks all. It's in his bag. As far as I can tell they don't have lockers though.

cls77 Tue 03-Sep-13 14:19:58

My dd started year 7 today and has to collect her pe kit at the school today?! Not sure when they expect us to label it hmm

epic78 Thu 05-Sep-13 00:41:10

Now I am worried. Dd starts middle school tomorrow and I haven't even labelled pe kit. Also no locker until we pay a deposit /fee.
Only hald day induction and no timetable.

MadeOfStarDust Thu 05-Sep-13 09:38:59

Ours were told no-one needs PE kit first day back after summer. They get their timetables on day1 and have enough to think about.

Maltamum Fri 11-Oct-13 21:58:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now