What Stationary Bits will my Son need for year 7?

(65 Posts)
Julezboo Fri 02-Aug-13 10:40:31

Seems a long time since I had to buy for myself!!!! I have hit a brick wall. Its so worrying this year 7 stuff!

ChippyMinton Sat 03-Aug-13 21:57:25

Good to know the casio calulator is standard, as I bought DS one yesterday - solar powered so no excuse for dead batteries.

Have all the bits but cannot find a pencil case. Ds wants one that has elastic loops for all the pens etc, but the only ones I can find are baby-ish character sets. Any suggestions?

trinity0097 Sun 04-Aug-13 09:11:56

Tell him that kids in secondary schools don't have those types of pencil cases, especially boys!

This is the most common one (and style) for boys www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/GUL-Pencil-Case+Stationery+23723917

ChippyMinton Sun 04-Aug-13 14:13:30

Are they all surfers then? wink

is humour acceptable?

DS1 had the standard barrel pencil cases (complete with surfing company logo) but has found most of them to either be too small to fit calculator, maths set etc, or so big that they take up too much space on the desk. He has chosen one of these for Y9; in black, not pink. grin

HmmAnOxfordComma Mon 05-Aug-13 12:06:49

Yep, my ds has one of those double pocketed ones, too (a camo one from Smiths). He like it because he has essentials in the front pocket (pens/pencils/rubber/gluestick/small ruler) and 'less frequently useds' in the back (coloured pencils/scissors/stapler/compass and protractor/memory stick etc). He likes to be very organised!

Takver Mon 05-Aug-13 13:06:17

We've been told:

Bring from day 1: 2 x working pens, several pencils including coloured, sharpener, rubber, metric ruler, pocket dictionary

School will sell appropriate calculator cheaply to dc once they start.

NO liquid paper

sounds simple enough smile We are also quite near Milford Haven . . .

Takver Mon 05-Aug-13 13:06:45

Sorry, missed protractor and compasses from list

Takver Mon 05-Aug-13 13:07:24

I'm not worrying about this one as dd generally carries enough stationary to start her own branch of Smiths grin

trinity0097 Mon 05-Aug-13 18:15:22

Btw the Casio calculator is on sale in sainsburys as part of the buy one get one free offer, so for £11 if you team up with a friend who can have 2 scientific calculators. I know that through school suppliers I can usually have to pay at least £6 for each one! I now recommend that parents get them themselves and not through school as it's cheaper!

trinity0097 Mon 05-Aug-13 18:16:47

Btw the Casio calculator is on sale in sainsburys as part of the buy one get one free offer, so for £11 if you team up with a friend who can have 2 scientific calculators. I know that through school suppliers I can usually have to pay at least £6 for each one! I now recommend that parents get them themselves and not through school as it's cheaper!

ChippyMinton Mon 05-Aug-13 21:04:52

I got the Sainsbury deal, bought one for DS2 for when he goes up next year. They are the solar powered ones too smile

trinity0097 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:05:58

Last year I actually bought a stock for my classroom on the same deal as it was cheaper than school suppliers as the supermarkets can afford to make a smaller percentage profit on each unit sold! Think the woman on the checkouts thought I was a bit mad for buying 10 in one go, but hey I saved the school about £60!

Whathaveiforgottentoday Wed 07-Aug-13 00:21:55

Just the basics as most have outlined but do remind your DS that this is one area in life where they don't have to share.
If his 'mates' want to borrow his coloured pencils etc the answer is no! Some students can be thoughtless when using other's peoples stuff and it takes year 7's a while to work that out. Not all students of course, but we often have issues with students kindly lending stuff that comes back broken or not at all.
yy to bringing calculators to science and short rulers are often more convenient for day to day use as they fit in the pencil case. I have a set of long rulers if we're doing graph work.
I lend out pens but only in exchange for something of worth (lunch card etc) but tends to be mainly yrs 10 and 11 (too cool for pencil cases!)

trinity0097 Wed 07-Aug-13 07:00:24

I can honestly say that in my 13 teaching career as a maths teacher I have not really needed to get the children to use a long ruler at all! A short one is sufficient and I would always lend a long one if they needed it, especially if I could see that they had bothered to bring a short one!

JenaiMorris Wed 07-Aug-13 08:22:50

Like many organisations, Ds's school don't allow anything non-school to be connected to school kit, so USBs are out.

They can save work to the school's storage areas, which are accessible and savable to from home, and/or email.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now