in support of Religious Education in schools

(38 Posts)
rabbitlady Tue 09-Jul-13 13:27:30

am i allowed to post this link?
i know that many people don't support RE, but for those who do, here is an opportunity to show it.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52408

GrimmaTheNome Wed 10-Jul-13 11:53:35

Increased tolerance and democracy ... like in Syria and Egypt? sad

Besides which, I doubt that Michael Gove's plans for the history curriculum would come close to providing the necessary perspective and context.

RE isn't just about history anyway - it should also be about the present, including pupils examining their own beliefs, and discussing current ethical issues.

Talkinpeace Wed 10-Jul-13 12:25:54

Grimma
Academies do not have to follow the National Curriculum.
DDs school is an academy.
Ergo

BUT the form I signed was old
because I have
Schools have to teach RE but parents can withdraw their children for all or part of the lessons.
opted to withdraw from all

Goves plans for the curriculum are an irrelevance
as Academies, Free Schools and Private schools do not have to follow it

by September that will be over 3/4 of all secondaries and heading towards 1/4 of all primaries

curlew Wed 10-Jul-13 12:32:03

I think it's outrageous that RE is compulsory and history isn't.

Citizenship and Critical Thinking should be compulsory- RE should be an option like any other.

Talkinpeace Wed 10-Jul-13 12:46:44

If your school is an Academy, it IS optional
ignore what Gove and the Daily Fail rant about
the National Curriculum ONLY applies to LEA schools - of which there are fewer every term

merrymouse Wed 10-Jul-13 12:56:02

Talkinpeace, out of interest why did you withdraw your daughter?

It all seems a bit of a waste of time if children can be withdrawn from part of a lesson that just provides neutral information for discussion, or if state schools are allowed to teach a belief rather than teach about belief.

Maybe it does need to be reclassified as something else.

However, that seems a pity, as, as far as I know, (and I know very little about this) the subject that is examined at school (and studied at university?) is not about indoctrination.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 10-Jul-13 12:58:48

Talkin...yes, of course...

If there was a petition to 'make all schools follow the SACRE/national curriculum' for RE - including all faith schools - I'd sign it.

(personally I think that allowing schools to opt out of the national curriculum will lead to some successes but quite a lot of disasters. I reckon they should keep a core compulsory curriculum so that schools can't mess around too much especially with religion and science.)

Talkinpeace Wed 10-Jul-13 16:57:39

merrymouse
frankly, timetable time!
she's doing a full set of heavy GCSEs and a waste of time lesson seemed exactly that.
she gets a full dose of comparative faith and philosophy discussion at meal times while listening to the Radio 4 news grin

grimma
Yes, the fact that "faith" schools do not have to teach about other faiths is a disaster waiting to happen (thanks Bliar)

Curlew
"I think it's outrageous that RE is compulsory and history isn't.
Citizenship and Critical Thinking should be compulsory- RE should be an option like any other."

+1

Absolutely agreed.

rabbitlady Thu 11-Jul-13 20:54:07

there are 400 signatures on the petition. come on mumsnetters, make it some more! save RE jobs! save tolerance, independent thought, questioning... save asking ultimate questions...sign the petition!

Talkinpeace Thu 11-Jul-13 20:56:27

no, sorry, not the right petition

rabbitlady Thu 11-Jul-13 22:45:06

well, that's ok. but people should sign if they can.

Dontlikepink Thu 11-Jul-13 23:02:36

I am sorry, I am a profane in this subject. I was reading but couldn't understand what the petition was asking. I understood that Gove wants to listed to religious groups. That's not good news IMO, but what the petition is for?

CountingClouds Fri 12-Jul-13 14:34:07

Their are good issues taught in the RE class. The problem most parents have with it is the religious aspect. It is a conflict of interest for teachers who are religious taking this class, a bit like BNP members taking a race relations class. Take the religion out of RE, call it what it is Ethics, Culture ... etc (or whatever) and a lot more parents will find it less harmful and more positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now