If your year 8 child is streamed and in the top set, can you tell me what level they are working at?

(35 Posts)
pollycazalet Fri 21-Jun-13 10:50:46

Specifically interested in maths, english, science, history.

thanks if anyone can help.

diabolo Fri 21-Jun-13 17:13:00

My DS who is just about to leave Year 8 is a 7a in Maths, 7b in Science, History, Geography and RS, but only a 6b in English which is not his best subject.

As his senior school he will be in top set for all but English. I'm hopeful that a change of English teacher will help. (the one he's had for the last 4 years doesn't rate any of the boys in his class and is very "airy fairy" iykwim.

DS1 is finishing Y8 at a partially selective comprehensive. He had exams a couple of weeks ago and got the following:

Maths: 7A (set 2).
Science: 6A (set 1).
English: 6C (mixed ability but we've been told he's one of the more able ones).
History: 7C (same as English).

lljkk Sat 22-Jun-13 10:36:35

Streaming is the system where they decide that your child is high ability and gets put in top ability groups across the board regardless of how bad they may be at a few of the subjects, right? Does that mean very different results from kids who were merely in sets? Is OP only interested in selective schools?

Technically I don't know what DS school does, insists he's in top groups, yr8.

March report: math 6A, english 6B, science 6A, history 5A (hates history).
May report: math 6C, english 5A, science 6C, history 5C

(I hadn't noticed the reduction across the board until now, hmmm!). He is on target.

Relative to classmates, we think he's in middle of most things except bottom by a big margin for math.

spanieleyes Sat 22-Jun-13 12:05:51

I was hauled into my son's school at the end of year 7 and harangued for 10 minutes on how to support his performance as he was below his targets in several areas, the targets being set on the basis of his English, Maths and Science SATs results in Year 6. I was informed that, even though he was above target in most subjects, they were concerned that he wasn't reaching them in Art, PE and DT.

They shut up when I explained that he was severely dyspraxic and perhaps the targets were slightly unrealistic for these particular subjects!

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 13:31:16

lljkk I'd be questioning that May report if I were you- students are meant to make 2 sub levels of progress per year. That report would suggest your DS has gone backwards a whole year. Is the report correct?

lljkk Sat 22-Jun-13 14:05:46

Much more bothered that DS looks like such a numpty compared to other thread replies! But then what else did I expect from MN. I do hope DS pulls his act together sometime.

Lljkk, I strongly suspect that marks are strongly school dependent and a grade that one school or teacher gives will be very different from the opinions of another for the same piece of work. As the national standard is something like level 5 by the end of year 9 your ds is doing really well.

EvilTwins Sat 22-Jun-13 16:05:38

I would be questioning the school about those grades- and I'm a teacher! There is no way that a school should allow a child to go backwards. At the very least, he should have maintained the earlier levels. That's why I asked if you we're sure the report was correct. The teaching is going badly wrong if they're reporting that a child has gone backwards.

Myliferocks Sat 22-Jun-13 16:15:39

DD2 is leaving yr8 with level 5's across the board apart from mfl where she is level 4's. She is middle sets for most subjects.
The important thing is that she has improved her levels since the end of year 7 and is willing to learn and try her best.
It doesn't help though that DD3 is in year 6 and getting level 5's across the board and took level 6 sat papers and that they are at the same school.

Clary Sat 22-Jun-13 22:44:15

I teach MFL and my yr 8 top set are working at L5-6 (just) so I would expect higher levels for top set in the subjects you specify OP (as my Germanists have only been doing it for 2 yrs)

(note: another Cazalet name here!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now