Work experience - Law?

(32 Posts)
Earnshaw Thu 16-May-13 18:40:30

DD1 is in year 10 and is trying to sort out work experience for this autumn. She is interested in Law, but I'm inclined to think that solicitors' firms would be hard pressed to find much for a 16 year-old to do because of client confidentiality.

Has anyone's DC had a placement in a law firm, or are there any lawyers out there who can advise?

Many thanks.

senua Thu 16-May-13 23:58:17

Nah, you don't want Wright Hassall; you want Bell Lax. I kid you not.

booksteensandmagazines Fri 17-May-13 07:25:51

Law firms do take year 10 - though mostly year 11 for work experience. Some firms have quite an organised programme. I have had friends who's children have done it - check the websites to see what they offer or contact their human resources departments. I know a lawyer who goes into his child's school and talks to the 6th formers about careers in law and from that a few children often ask for a work placement. Good luck.

Earnshaw Fri 17-May-13 18:05:26

Thanks booksteens, she'll be in year 11 by then & 16, so it's clearly worth asking round.

Senua grin. Somebody will be telling me next that there actually is a firm called Sue, Grabbitt and Run.

senua Fri 17-May-13 18:12:39

I give you ... drum roll ... Doolittle & Dalley

OK, not Solicitors but still a great name.grin

Earnshaw Fri 17-May-13 18:17:09

grin

BackforGood Fri 17-May-13 23:13:46

ds did his at the local law courts. Absolutely loved it. He didn't know anyone there, and there was a girl from another school there at the same time who wasn't related to anyone there either.
I know the one day he met a mate for lunch who was working with solicitors (lawyers? barristers?) too, so there must be firms that offer it.

Earnshaw Sat 18-May-13 10:08:42

Thanks BfG.

Loads for DD to get her teeth into now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now