Requesting a day off school

(24 Posts)
gobbin Wed 10-Apr-13 18:31:39

Holiday authorisation can vary between schools or authorities. E.g. In Cardiff holidays are not authorised, in Caerphilly they are (up to a limit)

prettybird Tue 09-Apr-13 18:21:32

Loganmummy - we never had any problem taking ds out for a couple of days in February in order to go skiing (the February break is only 3 days, including the INSET day). No idea how the school categorised it but they were always supportive. This was a Glasgow primary school - but cant say if all schools were the same.

Have joined the Parent Council at his secondary so that I have a good relationship with the school on case we want to do the same again wink

nsure Tue 09-Apr-13 18:07:22

Thankyou again.

Not sure if it varies from school to school , but in my dc school , they will not authorize any time off for holidays as far as I know.

LoganMummy Tue 09-Apr-13 14:42:28

Daft question - are you not allowed to take children out of school for holidays? (Sorry, DS is two and I have no experience of this. We're in Scotland, don't know if that makes a difference).

Great news - fantastic that the Head is being so supportive :-) Good luck!

nsure Tue 09-Apr-13 13:39:01

Thankyou,
The head has said they will be classed as being on an educational visit, so hopefully it won't affect attendance as this may not be the only tournament that needs time off this year,

teacherandguideleader Tue 09-Apr-13 13:30:39

PS - good luck to your son

teacherandguideleader Tue 09-Apr-13 13:30:22

It should be marked as a 'P' code - this is an approved sporting activity. The same code is used for students representing the school in fixtures who miss registration. It does not affect attendance.

nsure Tue 09-Apr-13 09:14:00

It has been authorized from the Head, the school has said they want to support my ds in this.

I wasn't aware that it could be marked as being educated off site , so will def ask later if that can be the case.

Clary Mon 08-Apr-13 22:45:59

Yes our school (where I work) puts this kind of thing down as educated off site - a lad I teach was playing in the national ice hockey championships for more than a week and wasn't marked absent.

Notquite Mon 08-Apr-13 22:36:30

DD1 did a schools' home international last year and DD2 (different school) was allowed a day off to travel to watch her.

DD1 has a terrible attendance record (sporty but asthmatic!), but it was deemed an educational activity. DD2 was allowed to go because of her excellent attendance (non-sporty but robust!).

titchy Mon 08-Apr-13 22:33:51

Our school puts these sorts of things down as educational activities and doesn't even count them as absences.

mummytime Mon 08-Apr-13 22:30:47

My DCs school is very strict on absences, but my DD has twice had time off for Choir related activities. Sport and Music are educational activities.

nsure Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:52

Also still wondering if the not so great attendance level will go against him.

nsure Mon 08-Apr-13 20:50:32

ok, Thanks all. It seems more likely than I thought , will ask and see what is said. I am hoping they say yes because this is likely to happen again and I would rather they were supportive rather than see it as a problem.

I'm sure that any school would support a pupil who was competing. A girl at my primary is competing at national level against teens in her sport - she gets the time she needs for comps and the school is very proud of her. :-)

SweepTheHalls Mon 08-Apr-13 18:47:36

Our school is very supportive of events like this.

nsure Mon 08-Apr-13 18:45:26

Taking part, although the day I want off is basically just travelling and competing the next day.

Takver Mon 08-Apr-13 18:31:26

Watching or participating? I'd expect them to be supportive if he's taking part.

nsure Mon 08-Apr-13 18:08:49

I am hoping they will be supportive too, however my ds has only got 92 percent attendance since sept ( not sure how, I only remember a few days off however) and I am not sure if that will go against him.

DeWe Mon 08-Apr-13 18:08:29

Excuse the typos. I'm trying to think of what I can blame for them, but I can't come up with anything plausible. wink

DeWe Mon 08-Apr-13 18:07:36

Dd2's school authorized her to go to Sportsfest, an even for looking at paralympic sports. I approached the head, fairly certain it would be refused (knowing what had been refused) and he was so enthusiastic in his approval-very very keep for her to go.

She is primary though, but holidays are automatically refused, and I thought that would count similar. However it didn't.

creamteas Mon 08-Apr-13 18:05:42

At my DCs school, this is treated very differently, and they are very supportive and milk the PR opportunities

nsure Mon 08-Apr-13 18:02:34

Hi, does anybody know whether requesting a day off school for a national sporting tournament is any different than asking for time off for holidays?.

I know my dc school will not authorize any time off for holidays and was wondering whether this would be classed as the same. TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now