Is this unusual/common re Level 5 SAT's and Set 3?

(80 Posts)
urbancupcake Thu 28-Mar-13 08:51:34

My dd's school decide on sets (for all subjects) when they start the school based on their primary school SAT's results.

My dd received all level 5's in her primary school SAT's results and was placed in set 3 and after their exams in the new year, achieved all level 5a's but wasn't moved up. She's quiet and well behaved.

Is this usual/unusual?

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 11:52:10

SATs and levels are generally shit.
HTH

seeker Sun 31-Mar-13 11:59:14

Assuming your children didn't do as well as you hoped, brunella! grin

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 12:01:46

i'm jealous obvs grin

Mine all fine - did v well but i take all levels with a huge pinch of sel de subjectif

JenaiMorris Sun 31-Mar-13 12:14:42

Well ever since I discovered that quite so many classmates are working a couple of levels higher than ds, I've realised that SATs etc clearly measure the wrong things grin

tiggytape Sun 31-Mar-13 12:38:15

SATS are just the starting point though - or should be at a good school.
Even schools which use SATS alone for setting purposes should still allow movement between the sets when it becomes apparent that a child is much more able than their SATS suggest (or are struggling more than their SATS suggest).

When you've got 200+ children all starting on the same day in September, there is usually a pretty blunt tool used to assess them. There isn't time or money to spend weeks examining each child's strengths in detail. So they do a rough sort through at first and then tweak it as the year goes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now