No bursary.Really sad

(45 Posts)
ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:39:43

Applied for ind school for dd1 mainly because it was a v small site and therefore ideal because dd has health issues.
Went to open days etc and really fell in love with the school and could see dd being v happy there.

We needed a 100 percenr bursary and today received an offer letter but no bursary.
It said dd1 is on the bursary waiting list but they would still need the deposit.

What if despite being on bursary list one doesn't become available? Then the deposit will be lost as well (that's if we can even find the deposit)

Now I feel awful for getting dd1s hopes up.It would have been perfect she is very clever but her health probs hold her back, in a small school she would not have been so tired /unwell as much.

Would there be much movement on bursary list or not?

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:09:41

I can't see it being likely that anyone would turn down a bursary? Surely they are like gold dust!

So am I right in thinking a statement is possible just for physical issues? Dd1 has not got any other problems at all she just needs a lot of supervision as does tend to get dizzy/faint a lot and she gets exhausted. She can't do pe as dislocates joints so easily and stairs are a big issue.

Without a statement would they change things like timetable to avoid too much up+down stairs etc. Would she be allowed a slightly shorter school day? (Difficulty waking due to night time pain and physio every morn) so later start/early finish?

Floralnomad Wed 27-Feb-13 15:22:30

I think I've probably mentioned this on one of your threads before it you don't necessarily need a statement to get help in a state school . My daughter has CFS , and was unable to attend school eventually dropping out in the December of yr 8 . She is now catered for by the Health needs for education service ( might be different in your area ) and at the moment has a tutor each day but when she feels able she will go into their school which involves a lot less walking about than in a normal secondary . It's more like a primary environment for secondary children . I think you should speak to your Education welfare officer and see what is available in your area as a 78% attendance is not going to be sustainable at secondary school . Good luck .

scaevola Wed 27-Feb-13 15:27:13

People do turn down bursaries: maybe they feel they need 40% but are offered only 20% and just do not believe they can make it add up. Or perhaps there is only one state school they would contemplate and know it's chancy whether they are offered it so applied for a bursary place as a back up; if they do get it then they might turn down the independent place. But if the school has opted to make several partial awards, then their might not be enough returned to the bursary pot to enable them to make a new 100% award. Does it have to be 100%? Do you have any wiggle room at all?

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:27:27

Thankyou floral I will see what I can find out. I should have already think I had my head in the sand and feel stupid now.

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:29:05

We have little or no wriggle room could possibly go down to 90 percent but lower than that we just couldn't manage sad

Floralnomad Wed 27-Feb-13 15:33:01

You've got loads of time ,don't feel bad about it you were trying to do the best you can for your child . However its worth exploring the alternatives as you will be facing it again with your others and whats the likelyhood of them all getting into an independent with a bursary?

How many children have you got in total? Is that plan for any siblings to follow their older sister in being given a 100% bursary to the same school, as you wouldn't want them spread around if you can't drive. That was always going to be a long shot.

Is it worth looking at other schools for your DD again, and maybe moving her brother to a school near her, rather than holding out for the suitable school near him?

grovel Wed 27-Feb-13 15:39:06

I'm so sorry. The great thing about bursaries is that they offer hope. The awful thing about bursaries is that they also dash hopes.

I would push for a statement, in can make things much easier and it sounds like she really should have one- I think your primary should've gone for it as it sounds awful for her. It will also heap the secondary see what she needs.

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:53:03

I have 4 dcs, 2 girls 2 boys. The school we applied for was girls school so ob ds1+2 would have gone elsewhere.
All dcs have eds but also other diff problems so what suits one would not nec suit others its difficult.

I will wait and see what state school dd1 is offered

Terranova Wed 27-Feb-13 17:16:09

Definatly get a statement sorted. How any more years before child number 2 moves? You will have 4 children in 3 schools then, is that possible?

I'm quite SUPRISED that your current primary hadn't ever pushed for one before, as a back up, as they obviously know her condition?

I think you may have to change your plans ... A bursary is never guaranteed.

Best of luck
X

schoolnurse Wed 27-Feb-13 18:04:06

You need a statement. I have in the past looked after a very sick child who was exceedingly frail in a very large state school they literally bent over backwards to accommodate her and the two trained nurses who sat with her through every lesson. A room was also provided for to go when she felt unwell and needed complicated medical intervention and at lunch time as well.
Your current school needs to sort this out ASAP and your future school needs to be aware of your daughters conditions ASAP so that they can put measures in to assist her.

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 19:16:38

Ds1 is currently in yr1 so quite a while before he would be going to high school.

I will def be looking into statements for both dd1 and ds1 I did not realise how much it could help them.

Dd1 wants to remain on the bursary waiting list but I can't see anything changing and to lose the deposit would make things even worse and I doubt any bursary offered would be a high enough percentage.

Hi Ariane, I'm pretty sure I know the schools you are talking about and agree that a statement would help, especially at NH.
I'm guessing the other state school is HEH which is quite big but mostly all on one level as far as I can tell.
I may be able to point you in the right direction re statements if you need help. PM me if you want.

ariane5 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:06:47

Yes those are the schools fivehourssleep! Will pm you !

OneMoreMum Thu 28-Feb-13 12:34:38

My nephew was in the same situaton a few years back (got offered a place but no bursary - not the health issues) and he actually did move up the list after a few weeks and got the bursary, so it is not impossible. This was in an area with a couple of private schools so perhaps those above him were offered more than one bursary and accepted at another school?

It's a long shot but just to let you know it can happen, but I wouldn't pay the deposit, explain to the school that you will definitley accept should you get the bursary but in no way can take a place without it so won't be paying the deposit, if they are reasonable they should be able to see that makes sense.

Otherwise state schools have to make arrangements to look after students with specific needs, although you will probably have to fight for it, so don't despair, you sound like a fighter!

difficultpickle Thu 28-Feb-13 13:37:34

Can't you agree with the school to pay the deposit once you get a confirmed offer of a bursary? When we were looking at a scholarship for ds we didn't have to pay the deposit until his scholarship was confirmed and we didn't have to pay a registration fee at all. Fingers crossed you have some positive news next week.

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 14:24:40

It does sound as if you may not be getting all the help you can- have your children got a social worker?

lougle Thu 28-Feb-13 14:37:24

ariane5...it would be fantastic if you could start a thread on the Special Needs section.

You haven't been given the best support, it seems.

If your DD genuinely needs such a small school, it may be that it could be funded via a Statement - if a State school can't meet your DD's needs, the LA have to fund a school in the Independent Sector.

Alternatively, it may be that you get a Statement for her which makes the MS schools viable, but might get transport written in due to her condition.

lougle Thu 28-Feb-13 14:43:19

If you are going to apply for a Statement, you must do it this week, really.

The process takes 26 weeks so even if you apply today and it goes super smoothly, you wouldn't get the Statement until 29th August 2013.

You need to write to the Local Authority Principal SEN Officer and say:

" Dear Sir or Madam,

(child’s name) (date of birth)

Request for formal assessment

I am writing as the parent of the above child to request an assessment of his special educational needs under the 1996 Education Act.

(child’s name) attends ..................... school.

I believe that (child’s name)'s special educational needs are as follows:
<Ehler-Danlos syndrome; fatigue; poor attendance; frequent dislocations; medical features>

My reasons for believing that the school cannot on their own make the provision required to meet my child’s needs are:

<Secondary schools are large and even at primary x's attendance is 79%. She will not be able to maintain attendance at school without a large amount of 1:1 support and adaptations, especially as schools are multi-level.>

I understand that you are required by law to reply to this request within six weeks and that if you refuse I will be able to appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal.

Yours sincerely,"

Obviously, you know your DD, so you will need to tweak those points.

They then must tell you within 6 weeks if they attend to carry out Statutory Assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now