The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013 continued

(859 Posts)
Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 16:46:17

Hi all as I posted on previous thread, I realised we had hit the 1000 mark, do felt obliged to open a new one. Hope everyone finds this thread easily

Asterisk Fri 28-Jun-13 21:26:49

For prospective parents, you might want to amuse yourselves by reading the acting headmaster's recent newsletters. He seems to have been hoarding anecdotes and rhetorical flourishes for years in anticipation of the opportunity.

Asterisk Fri 28-Jun-13 21:27:43

Oh -- meant to say that refers to Trinity! Headmaster's newsletter can be accessed through the school website under 'recent news'.

Seeline Tue 02-Jul-13 14:45:59

Racegirl and Suz - are you feeling after the new boys and parents morning at T? I know I felt alot happier afterwards last year smile

suz742 Wed 03-Jul-13 16:39:05

It was fine for me, lots of info and I did like meeting the form tutor in their future class. DS was incredibly quiet throughout and is usually very confident and chatty. He said afterwards that he found some of the boys quite babyish and 'geeky'. He's a rough n tough sporty type who always speaks his mind.
I've reassured him that there will be some great sporty boys in the group so not to make judgements too quickly. I think it's dawned on him that he's leaving his good friends soon and going a year early doesn't bring that closure like year 6.
I know he will be fine but in hindsight if they'd played some games or sport to bond he might be a bit reassured.

Seeline Thu 04-Jul-13 10:09:43

He will be fine suz. My DS didn't know anyone but the school make it easy for the boys to mix and make friends very quickly. The induction afternoon is much more relaxed and he will get to know some of the boys better then. If he is into sport he will quickly find himself drawn into lots of extra training sessions etc. They usually ask the new boys along for a pre-season training session before terms starts, I think in football, possibly rugby too.
There is a huge range of boys in JBugs, but my DS has found friends - not necessarily of the type that we would have expected at the beginning either! If your DS can go in with an open mind, and be open and friendly with all of the others (most of whom will be in exactly the same situation) he will settle in quickly. Which form tutor has he got?

EyesWideClosed Thu 04-Jul-13 18:38:35

We had a good time too, and felt really positive about the school. In the 'mingling' bit after the speeches and meeting the form tutor, it would have been good if parents of each class wore a specific coloured dot. That way, you would have been able to go confidently up to other people. aAter all, you're really only interested in talking to other parents of boys in your ds's form! It was very useful having the chance to speak to current parents though, and get some tips.

suz742 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:28:03

He has got Mr Moralee who seemed like he had an interesting background. I forgot to ask are you allowed to drive into the school grounds before and after school and are there any particular rules or tips on this?
Yes, I'm sure he will be fine although I think not being the brightest child in the class will be a bit of a comedown for him after 6 years as top dog at primary.
Do you know also if many J-Bugs go on the Disney trip? I have put his name down and hope he has a classmate or two for company.

frenchlady Thu 04-Jul-13 22:32:37

Hello to all mums. My ds is going to T and I am very nervous as none of his friends from primary are going to T but I guess he will make new friends. Anyone with a child in 1M? Regarding the drop off his tutor said you can drop them inside the school towards the sports hall .hope this help.

Seeline Sat 06-Jul-13 11:48:35

Eyes - the Parents Association run a social evening fairly near the start of term for new boys parents - drinks and nibbles. You will get another chance to have a chat with your son's form tutor, and meet parents from your son's form (labels to id who's who!!).
suz - yes you can drive into school to drop off and pick up. Basically you have to drive very slowly - common sense! Be warned the first week or so is chaos as obviously lots of parents are picking up new boys, and also there aren't really any after-school activities so nearly everyone is going home at the same time. You will be directed where to park at that stage, it is often on the grass areas round the side of the school. Arrange with your DS exactly where you will meet or both have phones at the ready or it may be a while before he spots you!! After the initial chaos, I usually park outside the sixth form centre/swimming pool. there are benches near there where most of the boys wait.
I think some of the JBugs go to France- my DS didn't so not really sure, but both JBug forms do lots together and get to know each other pretty quickly so he won't be limited to just his own form.
Frenchlady - don't worry. My Ds was the only one from his school last year in the Junior Form, but very quickly made friends. The school are very good at helping the boys settle.

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 08-Jul-13 09:29:04

Just dropped ds off at sports course - all the other boys looked much bigger and all seemed to be carrying lots of kit! Hope he'll be ok - think he was a bit nervous...

SoupDragon Mon 08-Jul-13 09:30:13

I'm sure he'll have a fabulous time smile

I've just packed 4 little Trinity boys off on a birthday treat to Thorpe Park. I can't believe they've finished Y7.

SoupDragon Mon 08-Jul-13 09:35:21

My ds is going to T and I am very nervous as none of his friends from primary are going to T but I guess he will make new friends

DS2 had one boy from his primary going to T last year but they were in separate classes. I think he had made a Best Friend by the end of the orientation morning!

SoupDragon Mon 08-Jul-13 09:39:50

I forgot to ask are you allowed to drive into the school grounds before and after school and are there any particular rules or tips on this?

I used to make sure I arrived by about 3:20 or so to have a very good chance of a parking spot. On the first days when it was really busy, I parked in one of the side roads (Upfield or Green Court Gardens) and walked in as it was really busy. Then I met DS1 by the basketball hoops near the boys entrance.

DS2 got the bus home with DS1 right from day 1! [evil mother]

SoupDragon Mon 08-Jul-13 09:42:27

suz742 If your DS is sporty and has played rugby before (I think this is a prerequisite) do send him along to the pre season rugby training and, subsequently, the after school training sessions as this maximises the chances of him being in a team and not overlooked.

frazzledforty Mon 08-Jul-13 10:26:33

Fatal - had the same experience this morning dropping off at sports course! DS had no kit (in fact, he managed to lose his trainers between Friday and today and went with one pair of really old ones), I forgot to give him money for tuck shop in the ensuing fruitless shoe hunt and it all ended up in tears.

He seemed so much smaller and less sporty than anyone else. The biggest difference was between the newbies and the existing boys. I'd like to think ours will be those confident boys with the big sports bags next year!

But in all seriousness, even if they're not as sporty as some of the others, I think this is a fantastic opportunity to get a feel for the school and meet some boys.

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 08-Jul-13 10:53:43

That makes me feel a bit better frazzled! We had to run into the school shop as I realised last night that ds doesn't actually own any non-marking shoes... hooray for Mr Mantilas is all I can say!

I gave ds a fiver for the tuck shop on the strict instructions that it's got to last him the whole two days! Evil mummy (I did pack him lunch too though wink)

frazzledforty Mon 08-Jul-13 11:12:20

Fatal - how brilliant to remember Mr Mantilas! Now why didn't I think of that.

DS went without non-marking shoes (the ones he lost..)

If he has to sit out, I reckon that will be his first real lesson in responsibility (talk about Evil mum!) I did pack lunch, but I know he's going to be upset when he can't buy a treat. Am telling myself this will all build character.. (queue nervous laughter)

frazzledforty Mon 08-Jul-13 21:05:13

So - just for in case some of next year's new parents get to this point of the thread and had not been scared off: the sports course is fantastic. DS, who is hardly the next Andy Murray/Jonny Wilkinson/Lionel Messi, came out bouncing and has not stopped talking about the day's activities, the teachers and the boys he's met. I've never seen him this enthusiastic about sport. I am astonished.

Somelikeithott Wed 10-Jul-13 18:03:10

Well done to your DS, frazzled.
I confused the sports course with the 3 induction days, when fatal, mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. Nice to read it went well for those who have attended.

DS & I are both now very emotional about the friends he is leaving behind, and moving from his current school. He set me off!!
I reckon this summer hols, will fly by.

FatalFlowerGarden Sun 25-Aug-13 14:42:03

Thought I'd revive the thread as I'm sitting here surrounded by school uniform and name tapes - my sewing skills have definitely not improved over the years!

Hope everyone's enjoying the holidays - guess who forgot to get school shoes? hmm Ds is looking forward to the induction days - can't believe it's only a week and a bit until they start properly!

TweenageAngst Sun 25-Aug-13 19:27:30

Hi Fatal, I have a DS (or 2 wink ) starting year 6 at Whitgift I smashed my hand up and had to go down the iron on tapes so much quicker-lets see if they stand the multiple washing, I suspect I will be sewing when able. Activity week on tuesday it has come up so quickly.

TweenageAngst Sun 25-Aug-13 19:32:38

God I am getting really wibbly now, neither DH or myself could go to the parents evening about Garda- both had to work. I don't know anyone and logistics of getting 10 year old to Croyden and back and working are causing sleepless nights.

FatalFlowerGarden Sun 25-Aug-13 19:59:38

Hi Tweenage - I'm wibbling a bit too tbh. Garda sounds so amazing but... the nerves are kicking in grin. Plus my cunning plan for dropping ds to school every morning has been scuppered, gah! But it'll all be fine, I'm sure, and our boys will have a great time.

Ok, another stupid question from me (I swear I will cringe about all this in a year's time!) - I know they don't have to wear actual uniform until Friday but can I assume they should be wearing W sports kit for the induction days ( I.e. ds has swimming first thing on Tues - he might as well wear his W jammers, yes?) Sorry, I'm sure I already know the answer to this but... hmm

TweenageAngst Sun 25-Aug-13 21:05:57

No I think they wear their own clothes I have just read the letter and it says appropriate clothing and footwear. One of my Ds is in Group 2 as well Gah normal bordies or the tight little logo numbers. I dont know wibble wibble.

basildonbond Sun 25-Aug-13 21:58:04

Gosh this seems so long ago now - ds about to start sixth form - eek

Anyway - own clothes for induction days - seem to remember majority were wearing football strips of various premiership sides with the odd England cricket shirt or rugby top thrown into the mix

Re swimmers - it depends on whether or not your ds can swim properly - if he can, then definitely jammers if not then board shorts

Labels - everyone starts off sewing/ironing but by the time you're on the second or third PE kit because your darling son has left it on the train <I'm not bitter, oh no> somehow an indelible laundry pen seems to do the job just as well ...

If your ds is going on the train you really don't need to worry - there are so many other boys converging on south Croydon at the same time that he can't get lost - he just has to follow the crocodile of boys traipsing down the hill - in fact the journey was one of the highlights of the day for ds when he was in Y6 and 7 - he had 'train friends' from different years and it was all v sociable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now