The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013 continued

(859 Posts)
Somelikeithott Sat 16-Feb-13 16:46:17

Hi all as I posted on previous thread, I realised we had hit the 1000 mark, do felt obliged to open a new one. Hope everyone finds this thread easily

Kylep Thu 07-Mar-13 17:53:59

Amazingly the veterans are silent !!! They were quick to have a dig at me at a few others

ClangerAfterClanger Thu 07-Mar-13 18:59:29

Deep breath. Ok. Have accepted an 11+ place at Whitgift from the waiting list (!) ... Happy! Am considering school bus for first term or so. Or could do local bus (both about 40min journey). Slightly hesitant about local bus as goes via East Croydon and I know it does get extremely busy after school/early evenings. Anyone with any experience? Can't really afford school bus but not sure he'd cope too well with big busy bus straight away.

suz742 Thu 07-Mar-13 19:16:19

That's good news CAC, nice to have some normality back on here.

My son, 10+T will get a few lifts to start with but will then be on the local bus. This will go through East Croydon but as he's already on the bus I don't see it as a problem. The minibuses are pretty pricey vs the free oyster card.

Did a quick trip to Hewitts for research today. Main uniform seems reasonably priced but there is so much sports wise and he will want to be in every team I'm sure. So helpful at Hewitts and got lots of congratulations from the staff, wondered if they said that about every school! Am used to the wonderfully quirky Claddish in Wallington so was pleasantly surprised

primrose55 Thu 07-Mar-13 19:20:36

Here is the correct information of my ds current school.

Pass rate for 10+ w is higher than t
Pass rate for 11+ T is higher than w
And unfortunately, either pass rate is nowhere near 100% although boys did very well this year.  So a big well done to those who passed these exams smile

I believe no schools are perfect. But, both schools( t&w) are fabulous and not much difference to me.  It's their choice.

Good luck to everybody. 

Somelikeithott Thu 07-Mar-13 19:25:21

Clanger, I haven't got experience on the bus front, but is train to south Croydon an option for your DS? I know a lot of boys get the train and walk in large groups to school. Also same in eve. But also depends on the home end of his journey as well I suppose! Hopefully someone else can give you a more useful response.

Kylep, please note I haven't had a dig at anyone else on this thread, my comments about you not being who you claim to be and that you have not been honest on this thread still stand. I notice you haven't denied this.I'm however pleased to see your ' my school is better than yours' posts have ceased, ( IMO, childish), as these were the start of the negativity on here. In future I won't dignify your posts with a response on this thread, if I feel the need to I will PM you, but probably won't even do that either.

The reason I haven't posted, is because I've had no comments, or contributions to make along the lines this thread has gone. I expect most people before making their school choices would've done a lot of research and realised that all schools have parents who are not happy, and their DC's needs not being completely met. For people who may not have done this research, the comments by current parents would be helpful, but more so before the deadline for the decisions. But as someone posted, may be useful for those in years to come. ( if we haven't put them off already!).

Kylep Thu 07-Mar-13 19:38:53

Somelikeithot oh really weren't you quick to point out I didn't comment !!! iMO CHILDISH I don't need to clarify myself to you or anybody else you made your decision not me I don't want a pm or response from YOU

morange Thu 07-Mar-13 19:41:09

Congratulations Clanger - my DS started year 7 in September and we were really worried about the transport. Opted for the school bus and have been very happy with it as they do have heavy bags and kit sometimes and it has taken the worry and hassle factor away, although as you say it is expensive. Loads of boys take public transport though and seem to manage fine. The first term is a shock to the system and very tiring - well it was for us going from short walk and short day at primary school - we all got used to it though pretty quickly. Public transport is doable but not so easy for us so decided to do first term on bus and take it from there and we will definitely continue with the bus for rest of this year and review later. My DS goes to the library and does homework after school before bus leaves if he doesn't have an activity. You can opt for just mornings (or evenings) though as some prefer not to wait til 5.15pm when the buses leave after school. There is also the option of getting ad hoc bus trips and you buy a single ticket - some do this for example when there is a training session after school, usually hockey or rugby on a Thursday in Year 7 and they know they will have more kit that day and finish later. On another note, we are delighted with W. Our DS loves it, has made a lot of nice friends (we have made some too with other parents). He has tried many things he loves, been made to do things he wasn't so keen on but a good experience (eg viola lessons, sing in the choir at a concert). He was top group at primary and seems very average at W academically and is definitely being pushed on that front and the teachers are on his case in a good way. Alot is expected of him and he has had to learn quickly to be organised (this does not come naturally!) and take responsibility. A very positive experience thus far!

ClangerAfterClanger Thu 07-Mar-13 19:54:04

SUZ742 Thanks for responding, yes maybe if there are a few others on same bus it will seem less daunting. Maybe school will give us some info regarding others travelling in same direction later on. Somelikeithot I had a bit of a look at the train routes but not very straightforward from us but actually it might work that he could get off the bus near EC station and walk down with others. I will probably do the after school pick ups in the beginning - especially as it gets dark. Not ready for my redundancy yet!

ClangerAfterClanger Thu 07-Mar-13 20:09:19

morange lovely to hear you have had such a positive experience, yes the musical instrument will definitely be a new challenge to be embraced in this camp! The "single ticket" possibility would be incredibly helpful for days when I need to be at work a little later. Looks like it is all do-able with a bit of knowledge and trial and error - exciting times.

hopetobeobjective Thu 07-Mar-13 22:45:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lfs2126 Thu 07-Mar-13 23:33:55

hi whitgift newbies! another travel option if you need it is to go to waddon rail and then a 119 up the hill. my ds and friends use this a lot!

fondofuk Fri 08-Mar-13 00:16:56

Hi. I think having failing boys sit GCSE at another school is a FRAUD if it is true. But I can't believe how it can be possible. A Whitgift boy suddenly turns into a Croydon college boy only if he sits exam there??? "Entering" exam wouldn't just mean exam location in my common sense. And why would Croydon college allow this??? I asked this to a current teacher at a 6th form college in another part of London, but she has never heard of this kind of thing.

Can just someone pls call whoever high person - HM, head of admissions, etc at W and ask this straight away? Why wait until Open morning?

I don't care about 'too much sports' thing. - they still send some boys to Oxbridge and good London univs (known to outside UK) That's enough to create atmosphere to perform academically.

But I DO believe playing around exam results that accused way IS a serious FRAUD.

hopetobeobjective Fri 08-Mar-13 01:23:54

Actually i think I better say A BIG SORRY to all the W parents. I have reread what I wrote and I think I was out of order to say it has ended up small minded etcetera. This thread has actually settled down and I realize that my comments could be seen as actually stirring it all up again. I just wanted to get some things off my chest about the schools. I think I got carried away with my literary comparisons and wanted to end with a bang. Sorry sorry sorry. We are interested in Whitgift despite my comments because we do like the facilities on offer and our DS1 is not superbright. He loves sport (tennis). God you must all think that I am a deeply confused mum. I think I must be! And we haven't even seen the school yet. If my Hubby read this he would make sure I had nothing to do with choosing DS1's school! This business about Croydon College does need to be sorted. Could an existing parent please call and find out please as suggested???
I am determined to start the W&T thread for 2014. I hope all you lot can come on and tell us good things about the schools. But PLEASE get the school to do something about the promo video!!!
I can confirm that the 119 is a reliable service and popular with W boys. Happy schooling!!!

Zato Fri 08-Mar-13 08:01:48

Morning all,

I spoke to a former teacher yesterday who worked at another T/W competitor and farming of poor GCSE boys was common place to ensure they had a good placing on the league table.

I asked Mr Beck re this years fee increase and if this was a one off or a standard increase. I was told it was one off and usual increase is 3-5%. Asked if I could have that in writing and I just got a chuckle as if it was the most absurd request.

20k in a few years was a big factor in the no decision

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 08-Mar-13 08:44:08

Ohhhh, just couldn't stay away!

Re: the Croydon College thing. When I was at school eons ago, this happened. I distinctly remember a couple of my classmates taking their GCSEs elsewhere, am sure of it. They weren't removed from the school or excluded from any other aspect of school life though. I agree it's not a great thing. But when so much emphasis is placed on league tables you can see why it might happen. I'm not defending the practice in any way but all the talk of 'top tier', 'second tier' etc on this thread alone just proves the point... a certain type of parent will always consider league tables before anything else. And schools, particularly fee-paying schools, are always going to want to present themselves in the best possible light; league tables rightly or wrongly are a huge factor in this.

May I also respectfully suggest that the poster who wanted to start the 2014 thread considers a name change before she does so? It's hardly a secret that these threads are read by the admissions team wink

fondofuk Fri 08-Mar-13 09:33:40

Re GCSE thing again. Can anyone help?

(1) W exam results on website shows 177 sat for English & Math for 2012 results. What is total headcount of year 11 now (or last year)?

(2) Mechanism : Can't still see "sitting exam elsewhere physically" means his scores are not registered under W? Wouldn't this "entering" require identity of "current school"?

Assuming 200 in year 11 (no exact number) and they are all B,C,D..., it will drop thier A*/A ratio from 73.5% to 65%, which is still not a disaster....

Anyway if this is the case with W. I reckon many other schools would be doing the same thing.

And a "normal" question. Around 30 or so boys do IB there. What is the usual difference between IBers and A-levelers? (targeted Univ destination?)

Seeline Fri 08-Mar-13 09:45:00

Clanger My DS started in the Junior form at T in Spetember (even though W is actually much closer to us). Having barely crossed the road by himself previously we too were worried about the travel aspect. I have to say that most mornings/evenings I still act as taxi, but there are occassions when he has used public transport. He takes the train to East Croydon and then one of several buses up to T. In the evening he prefers to take the bus to EC and then walks round the corner to the Fairfield stops to get a bus which stops right outside our house. We practised this several times over the summer, and he has some notes written down which he keeps in his blazer grin The deal is when using public transport is that he lets me know beforehand, and that he keeps his phone on whilst travelling. This has worked fine, and he is happy to do it. The 466 stops just outside EC and takes you straight to W so that would be a definite possibilty for your DS - I am sure lots of the boys would do the same trip.

kimalima Fri 08-Mar-13 10:20:12

Fondofuk I'm actually meeting my friend whose son sat an exam at Croydon College for Dinner on Saturday night. I'll ask if she minds me releasing further details. But I do need to check-in with her first. Although perhaps a W parent will be able to respond before that time.

On another note way (way way) back when I took my O Levels I sat my English Literature exam at Croydon College not my secondary school. The school did not want to enter me as they considered I would fail. In hindsight I had (at that time) not even read most of the required literature. My dad paid for the exam out of his own pocket (rather than my state school paying). I passed and got an A! However, I did pull my socks up and study hard.

fondofuk Fri 08-Mar-13 10:38:37

kimalima Thanks. Sounds like this must be a long-standing practice at indie schools who "want" to stay high on league tables. Another watch point going forward! Anyone will have to ask exact headcount and look at English/Match exam enters!!!

Also shows pupils who are asked to sit outside are not necessairly failing, trouble-making ones! You are the testimony...

kimalima Fri 08-Mar-13 10:50:38

Fondofuk I actually went to a State School (and not a good one either) but if it happened there, all those years ago, you can see why it still happens at the Independents when League Tables in the 'Internet Age' are so much more accessible... gosh I now sound really old - O Levels and the 'Internet Age' grin.

ClangerAfterClanger Fri 08-Mar-13 22:20:09

Thanks Seeline. Your comment re "having barely crossed the road by himself.." struck a chord! DS has bad habit of only looking left.... Will add Green Cross Code to "training" days!

iluvmyboys Sat 09-Mar-13 10:39:35

Just after accepting W offer, I read so many negative comments on the school. Really worried now, if I made a mistake. There is nothing we can do now, but I hope it all works out for the good..

kimalima Sat 09-Mar-13 10:49:18

Don't be worried iluvmyboys it IS a great school. Every child's journey through school life is different. I have many friends whose DS's have attended or still attend W. undoubtedly the school has been great for all.

FatalFlowerGarden Sat 09-Mar-13 10:57:43

iluv - I wouldn't think twice tbh. There's nothing 'revealed' on this thread that doesn't happen in virtually every other school in the country to some degree or other. It would be naive in the extreme to assume that W is immune from occasional bit of disruptive behaviour etc. We're talking about a school of 1000 adolescent boys, after all! It's how the school handles it that counts.

It's not what's been revealed on this thread that bugged me (well, the 'just ring up and get a place' stuff was highly irritating but also preposterous so...) it was the patronising way in which it was done by some posters. Oh, and the implication that my state-educated, bursary-receiving son might be the source of the aforementioned disruption... but I don't want to be accused of stirring it all up again so shall just leave things there grin

burntoutdad Sat 09-Mar-13 14:14:16

Well said Fatal, i think that's how we all felt. Shame really but yes pls don't stir it again. Visited today and still have no doubts, spoke with some mums casually who could not praise it enough and said that the large majority of boys just do not want to leave there. Something else I learnt is that once you are a whitgiftian you are welcome whenever and can go and get advice and information and there is an (unofficial) network of old whitgiftians that will help with anything they can throughout your further studies and career.
Iluv - there aren't that many negative comments here just three or four of the same type of comment, which as ive said before and Fatal and others have said could apply to any school. Taking exams elsewhere also isn't news to me I have heard of this practice (Not necessarily in W but elsewhere) years ago and hadn't really thought about it too much as I would hope that we would be warned enough to take corrective action. I can understand annoyance if anyones DS was actually in that position, but ill worry about that when the time comes. I have heard of parents who's DS is struggling a bit to do all the work and as far as i can tell the school are doing all they can to help and have homework sessions etc to push them in the right direction. you can call form tutors anytime and they will even help on weekends if needed (so ive been told).
By all means listen to the opinions of others but remember here you have read a few bad things and a LOT of good things. Wish some more of the existing parents would comment and im sure if they did positive would outweigh negative.

Sorry couldn't resist another post, visiting the school with Ds and wandering around at leisure set me off on the right track again - it just feels right for my him which is all I care about smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now