Option angst, could you help, please?

(30 Posts)
optionangst Wed 13-Feb-13 19:50:47

DD's school offers only 9 GCSEs (compared with 11 from last year).

So we are really struggling to make sure we get the balance right, so as not to preclude her from being considered by any University.

Compulsory are Maths, English, Bio, Chem and Physics (great, huh?) and then one language (Spanish) and one humanity (Geog).

So, she's left with 2 choices - she can't decide between 3 - History, Computing and Drama.

I think Drama is the most definite of the 3, but I'm worried that Computing may be seen as "soft" leaving her with only 7 academic ones?

Does this matter or does the quality/quantity override the subjects?

Despite copious Googling, I cant find any answers to this.

Sorry to name change, but I felt quite identifiable.

BackforGood Fri 15-Feb-13 15:15:19

I have to admit, I assumed from your first post you meant both English. It is fairly standard to do 2 English, so I could understand someone looking at an application form and questioning why this applicant only managed one.

sashh Sat 16-Feb-13 07:33:06

No university asks for more than 5 GCSEs. They always want to see maths and English.

She has already got a good selection, English, maths sciences, humanity and a language.

Just let her do what she wants.

TotallyBS Sat 16-Feb-13 08:10:57

Sashh - no university asks for more than 5 GGCSEs??? Are you the admissions officer for Thames Valley Uni?

seeker Sat 16-Feb-13 09:41:06

I wouldn't do computing, honestly. Apart from anything else,I've heard that it's deadly dull.

I would go with History.

And if she's only doing 9 (my dd's school does this as well) they have to be good!

TotallyBS Sat 16-Feb-13 21:56:12

Deadly dull? Unlike history, right? Most subjects are 'dull' if it doesn't interest the student.

OP - computer Science is quite factual while history requires the student to examine source material and to give an opinion. If your DD has a talent for making a reasoned argument then the choice is clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now