Computing to be part of ebacc.

(27 Posts)
GirlOutNumbered Wed 30-Jan-13 21:43:56

Yeah for me, as I'm an IT teacher. What do you think though? Happy to have your children study computing?

cricketballs Fri 01-Feb-13 22:20:22

well said Girl. Every school I have worked at has been fully staffed with people who are qualified to teach CS but have to deliver the crap forced on us by the curriculum/specs/league tables.

SlowlorisIncognito Sun 03-Feb-13 18:36:31

I don't think putting it as a 4th science is a good idea because it may cause problems at later stages.

I believe most universities would not consider a Computer Science/ Computing A level as a "science or maths subject" for admission onto a science degree as I don't think it will teach what they want science subjects to teach. Geography and Psychology A levels are included because they teach students a scientific way of thinking, familiarise them with the idea of scientific papers and citing references and usually include a statistics component. I am happy to be corrected if this assumption is wrong, however.

I think CS may well be useful to many students, and should be valued as an option, but I don't think it is comparable to Biology/Chemistry/Physics, as I don't think it teaches the same skills. I also think gaps in scientific knowledge can be problematic if you go on to study science at a higher level, and I think it's wrong for children to be shutting doors at the age of 14 or possibly younger.

I agree this could actually be a route to teaching less science. Someone with two Cs in Physics and CS won't have a broad knowledge of the sciences. In some ways, this may devalue CS as an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now