Tidying books for Ofsted - 3 lessons?

(6 Posts)
Dominodonkey Mon 28-Jan-13 22:40:18

"If their books are in that much of a state then the teacher's been doing something very wrong until now." - substitute the word teacher with student and I would agree with you.

I agree it is a waste of time but I am assuming it is being done because so many of the books are in a disgusting state. Probably covered in grafitti or even obscenities. When I mark books I mark on the content and don't take too much notice of the cover being torn etc.

However, if OFSTED were coming I would be worried that they would assume that the students lack of care with looking after books is mirrored in their work so I do sympathise with the teacher.

That is just bonkers...!

tiggytape Mon 28-Jan-13 08:51:11

No - that's not normal. Most schools get very little notice of an Inspection so couldn't revamp all books like this even if they wanted to.
And I don't see the point of it anyway - what is the Spanish teacher hoping to achieve (has she said?).
If they aren't adding to / improving the existing work merely moving it from one bound book to a loose leaf book held together with string - how will that impress Ofsted (quite apart from the sheer waste of time)?

It's not some bizarre revision exercise or something I take it?
Assuming it is purely being done for the reason given, yes I would complain too.

Muminwestlondon Mon 28-Jan-13 08:13:21

They are cutting the pages from the old books, punching holes through the whole book and attaching the old pages with treasury tags - probably why it is taking so long!

Not normal, and I'd be furious as a parent. (I'm a teacher.) If their books are in that much of a state then the teacher's been doing something very wrong until now. Also, it hardly makes sense as presumably the teacher's now going to have to spend hours and hours copying across all his/her marking?!

Muminwestlondon Mon 28-Jan-13 07:05:31

DD2 is a year 9 doing Spanish GCSE in one year. She has Spanish 4 days a week. Last week 3 lessons were spent in transferring notes/materials from the kids' exercise books to new ones as Ofsted are paying a visit. The school were inspected last year do assume this is some sort of follow-up.

This really pisses me off not least because she has a speaking exam this week and I have also been paying for a private tutor to help her.

Surely spending 3 lessons (over an hour each) tidying books cannot be normal or is it? I am minded to complain to bloody Ofsted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now