The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

stresscity Sun 10-Feb-13 21:42:15

Sorry Bedgers not Beggars. Could of been worse, could of said buggers!!

stresscity Sun 10-Feb-13 21:43:17

Blimey, turning into soup now with bad language smile

Bedgers Sun 10-Feb-13 21:57:57

LOL Stresscity. Re calling, I've had two email responses acknowledging my emails re interview but have not got a yes or no sorry he wasnt successful answer. It's fine as I dont want DS to go there now, we have applied to more than just W. It's just I liked to give my son an answer to his question. I also seriously doubt i would put my other son through this process. Friends who did T at least knew one way or the other within 2 weeks of taking the test and other schools just tell you that you wont know until 14th Feb, but as Trashpack mentioned in her post, they promised to inform unsuccessful candidates as soon as possible. Probably too busy counting all that examination fee money!

Bedgers Sun 10-Feb-13 23:15:48

sorry re-read my last post and I dont want to put down W for all of your whose DS already go there or will be going there. I know its an excellent school. Just disappointed about this whole exam process. I guess it was my first time experiencing it. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Will check in on 14th/15th to hear everyone's news. Best of luck.

Somelikeithott Mon 11-Feb-13 11:49:38

Hello everyone, how are you all fairing? Do all your DSs know that the letters are arriving on Friday? We have managed to keep it a secret from DS, so far. Don't want him fretting on Thursday night, he still tried to catch Santa out last year. Think that will all go out of the window this Christmas though.

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 11-Feb-13 12:14:15

Trying not to think about it (and failing!) Yes, ds knows that Friday is the big day (postie permitting...) but is pretty chilled about it I think. It's me that will be struggling through work all day and elbowing commuters out of the way in my desperation to get home!

Ds will be picked up from school by his grandparents on Friday... don't know whether to nip home first and take the letter to gps with me or wait until we get home together... aaaaargh.

suz742 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:25:47

I'm trying to keep busy this week, school play Thurs eve so I won't brood too much. My DS is aware of Friday's decision but is at his dad's Thurs night but inset Fri so he will be home quite early I imagine. I cancelled work meeting on Fri due to inset and knew I wanted to know decision ASAP.

Hope if it's a yes then bursary is clear cut, couldn't bare having to make a hard decision after all this time.

4 more sleeps everyone!

FatalFlowerGarden Mon 11-Feb-13 12:34:35

grin suz, I was actually lying in bed counting the no of sleeps last night!

And agree re: clear cut decision. A 'no' would be a real shame, but a 'yes' with an unaffordable parental contribution would be AWFUL. It's the one possibility that I really dread, and the thing that's really played on my mind. I'll feel so guilty if I have to tell ds that he's gone through all this just to confirm what we already knew - ie that I can't afford the fees!

suz742 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:00:10

I don't want to go through this again for 11+ and DS is adamant he isn't interested in trying for the grammars. His main aim was to pass the exams, being a competitive boy.

If this doesn't work out he wants to go to our local boys Catholic which is ok but obviously isn't a patch on W and T.

Yes, I feel guilty too as an arduous process potentially for nothing but I'm glad we gave it a go, worse to never have tried.... I tell myself anyway!

Trashpack Mon 11-Feb-13 18:32:18

I can't believe it's 4 sleeps until D-day! I think it's gone really quickly....but I don't expect it feels like that for those of you waiting.

Bedgers, I telephoned W today and was told categorically that ALL letters will be sent out on the 14th...regardless as to whether they are offers letters or rejection letters. When I pointed out that their communication in December stated that boys who were not successful would be informed as soon as possible, admin lady said that they would need to change the wording on that letter.

She did say that they were finished interviewing and as ds has not had interview, we could take it as a "thanks, but no thanks". I did lay it on a bit thick saying ds was asking every few days if there was a letter from W....when in fact, he's completely forgotten about it! But there are 299 other families who may be terribly anxious about it all.

Hey-ho! I'm still rooting for all you guys for the 15th!! Looking forward to reading lots of good news stories here x

Somelikeithott Mon 11-Feb-13 19:36:48

Thank you trashpack, that's very kind of you, especially when you must be feeling disappointed, especially with the way good communication from W has been lacking. Well done for having it out with them. Hopefully, the letters will be worded differently next time to save another family from going through what you have. All the best with DS, let us know how things turn out.

I agree, time has passed quickly, albeit the wait feeling a bit like torture!!! I actually feel a lot calmer today than yesterday, not sure why I had a blip yesterday in particular. Think I've now resigned myself to what will be will be.

Goldfish678mum Tue 12-Feb-13 13:32:31

Hi all. Only 3 more days and it'll all be over thank god!! Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has negotiated the scholarships in the past? I know it's been mentioned on this site, but I wasn't aware that this could be done. I assumed that if were lucky enough to be offered a scholarship,( that's if we even get an offer of a place of course!!), then it's a final offer. But I've been told to brush up on negotiation skills just in case!! Has anyone else heard this?! Tbh I'll be grateful if DS even gets an offer!!
Good luck to all of you for Friday!! I've got to go to work all day so won't know until I get home! Agony! Mind you, my post is anything but reliable, so I bet we have to wait until at least Saturday!!! Thinking of you all xx

But I've been told to brush up on negotiation skills just in case!! Has anyone else heard this?

I did it with DS2.

Goldfish678mum Tue 12-Feb-13 13:44:45

Soup - how?? We're you offered a sports or academic scholarship?

Have PMed you smile

Goldfish678mum Tue 12-Feb-13 14:30:37

Thanks soup 😃

burntoutdad Tue 12-Feb-13 16:38:50

Hi all, ive tried to resist but cant stay away. Im feeling resigned to it now as you are hott. Have tried to manage DS expectations as he keeps asking, but he is being so mature about it. I told him that its not all certain and we will wait and see, that he has done well and nothing more we can do, there may be a lot of boys that took the test that may have got slighly higher marks and its simply down to that, now he has experience and if he wants he can try next year etc etc. He is very calm about the whole thing and is just relived to have got through the exam.
Me on the other hand, i seemed to have 'moved on' from his current school and really hope that he doesnt have to spend another year there. its not a bad school by any means in fact the opposite, but i think he's gone as far as we can there and would so much more with a year at W.
3 days to go - dreading it, will have to phone from airport sad.
I think i will ask them to just put phone down if its bad news so i dont acually get told for sure, then when i tell DS i dont know i wont be lying (sort of)!

FatalFlowerGarden Tue 12-Feb-13 18:03:44

Hi bod grin Am feeling just the same way as you about ds's current school now - it's great and we love it but... now I just keep thinking of those bloody wood-panelled halls... Which is a very bad idea because the likelihood is he'll still be there this time next year!

We saw the headmaster on the way out of school today, he stopped me and said 'That's a little dynamo you have there, did you know?' - ds is on school council and apparently has been busy organising everyone in setting up a school 'tuckshop' all unbeknownst to me! He is also running a creative writing competition (with homemade prizes) hmm...

I felt like saying, well can you ring W and tell them what a dynamo he is, please?! Like, YESTERDAY?! grin

God, roll on Friday. One way or another the gin will be out!

GETASHLEY Tue 12-Feb-13 20:10:56

Away on business for a couple of days, so wanted to get in early and wish everyone and their Ds's all the best for Friday, will be posting our news here around midday!!!

kimalima Tue 12-Feb-13 20:59:51

Hello all..

Just checking in. My post is the pits, so will probably report in Saturday or even Monday. Actually it had better come by then as we are off for half-term.

Still not feeling very confident about W but, hey, stranger things have happened.

Routing for you all xx

Marni23 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:07:49

Can't believe it's STILL only Tuesday. Am very bored with the wait now. We should hear from all of our (4) schools on Friday but our post is crap so could be anywhere between 11am and 4pm or not at all. Great.

I can remember laughing at Soup's description of herself last year while looking out for the postman. She said she was like a meercat. Suddenly it's not so funny...

Good luck all.

Somelikeithott Tue 12-Feb-13 21:15:13

What's this with all the unreliable posties ?

Maybe we should have a demonstration tomorrow/ Thursday, my DD is quite handy & creative with placards.... Or better still raid our sorting offices on Thursday night. ( covers her face in shame)

Marni23 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:18:54

I walked past the Post Office today and almost went in to ask what time I'd have to get there on Friday morning to pick up our post direct. That's how sad I am...

havinganightmare Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:14

From memory a few people rang W last year when the postman did a disappearing act. Soup was a meerkat and I think I threatened to kill our postman..... he was 3 hours late after all! Good luck everyone. One year on from all the stress and worry I've just returned from parents evening at W. Not sure where the last twelve months went. Fingers crossed for you all - 4 more sleeps not long now! Hang on in there. grin

Marni23 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:57:55

It's 3 more sleeps...isn't it?!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.