Moving from the US to the UK

(151 Posts)
MJIG Fri 04-Jan-13 14:59:49

We will be moving to the London from the US with our daughter who will be starting year 11 in September. Can anyone offer advice on state schools? I understand that she would be entering a school in the middle of the GCSE years so I am looking for information on what type of school would help her assimilate best into the UK system. We would like her to move on to the IB diploma.

Copthallresident Fri 11-Jan-13 14:26:44

mummytime I would never say never. DDs' school does have strong discipline and a uniform but a group of "strong characters" (for which read insecure attention seekers) with really terrible back stories subverted the norms in DD2s year. They could have turned up at any school. The question really is whether the school were right to stick with them and try to help them, the school is the only source of stability in their lives, leaving the rest of the year to put up with their disruptive and bitchy behaviour, and taking the hit to their reputation , rather than asking them to leave expelling them They just lost a quarter of the year to other sixth forms because they chose the former. The irony is the school has a, actually undeserved, reputation for poor pastoral care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now