How to do Latin and Greek A levels in West country

(30 Posts)
duchesse Sun 04-Nov-12 01:15:49

Any clues? DD2 (currently just 15 and in yr11) is adamant she wants to do Latin and Greek A levels- all her preferred combinations all include these. The only problem is that the only place she can apparently do Greek is by staying at her current school, which she absolutely does not want to do.

Her other A level choices are any three from maths, chemistry, physics and French, all of which she can do at the College.

Any ideas gratefully received.

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:19:35

http://www.jact.org/summer_schools.html

good idea LondonMother

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:12:51

p.s metella est in atrio, canis in via latrat and who knows grumio, clemens and melissa are probably all up to no good behind the chariot sheds...

caeciliusestinhorto Mon 07-Oct-13 22:08:42

Well said almapudden and oldqueenie! Bonsoir, obviously the country is crying out for more Engineers Chemists and Germanists and graduates from other shortage subjects but I would say Classics is likely to remain highly regarded. Duchesse if all else fails she can become Mayor of London! If she wants to go to Ox or Bridge then the odds are also much in her favour. Do contact Exeter University re a tutor.

LondonMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:46:22

Good luck to her, duchesse. I did a Classics degree a million years ago, after having the luck to do Latin and Greek to A level. I believe my old school still offers both, but unfortunately it's a couple of hundred miles from you. My husband did a Classics degree after teaching himself Latin and Greek to A level, but this is not an option I'd recommend for most normal people! Our daughter is doing a Classics degree now after doing Latin and Greek to A level. She was able to do Latin to GCSE at school but not Greek, so her dad taught her to GCSE. That wasn't a realistic option for A level, so she switched schools and the choice was more or less entirely made because it was the only school for miles around which would give her the chance to do both Latin and Greek to A level. I know it's possible to do a Classics degree to a high standard without A level in both languages first, but I think if you can possibly manage it it is a big help to do A level first. The earlier the language really embeds, the better. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find a student or lecturer to help out. Summer schools are a big help. My daughter's done the London Summer School in Classics several years now and found it very beneficial. Good luck!

englishteacher78 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:11:50

If she doesn't manage to do Greek at A level it's not the end of the road for Oxbridge Classics due to the summer school system. Very few schools nationwide offer Greek at A level (mine is one)

efthalia Mon 07-Oct-13 14:10:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

breadandbutterfly Fri 28-Dec-12 21:14:26

Classics will open up any of the usual professional doors. Sjould add that it is not essential to do Greek to A Level to study classics at uni, incl Oxbr. Lots don't. The unis will teach Greek from introduction (or in this cae GCSE) without a quibble.

duchesse Thu 27-Dec-12 20:16:54

I agree with you oldqueenie re "safe" careers. I don't think there is any such thing any more. I'd rather she were following a passion frankly.

almapudden Thu 27-Dec-12 12:33:03

Bonsoir, I read Classics at Oxford a few years ago. I and all of my contemporaries have done very well since and work in a wide variety of industries: law; teaching; civil service; music; the city; academia.

Classics is an excellent degree which covers a huge range of disciplines; I would highly recommend it!

OP, contacting the university is a good idea. Bryanston and Wells (Latin equivalent) are great but not sufficient preparation for A level on their own.

oldqueenie Thu 27-Dec-12 12:11:13

Not sure why you would feel so strongly about a classics degree not being a good option? My ds is considering latin and greek at A level, amongst other things at the moment. I am keen to encourage him to pursue his interests and enthusiasms. I don't want my 15 year old to be planning his choices around a safe career... I think the present crap economic outlook is liberating in some ways. With no certainty of a job / career for life it is more important than ever to follow your heart at his age. Good luck to your dd op.

Bonsoir Thu 27-Dec-12 08:51:25

I have no idea about Classics in France, duchesse, but I do have some knowledge about Classics in the UK and I wouldn't encourage anyone down that path with the current upheavals in education. Relying on an opening in academia in Classics is a really long shot. If she is clever and talented, surely she has other interests with better career prospects?

yotty Wed 26-Dec-12 21:51:39

Can she do Greek and Latin at Bryanston? If she is really bright perhaps she could get a scholarship. The school is not known for being very selective at 13+, but does as far as I know have a good reputation for those subjects and very good for music. If you look at their website, the students that did get into Oxbridge mostly went on to do classics.

MordionAgenos Wed 26-Dec-12 17:23:37

Perhaps she fancies being Mayor of London. grin There's nothing wrong with studying classics. And plenty right with wanting to do so.

duchesse Wed 26-Dec-12 11:52:45

Thankfully the higher education system and openings at the other end are not as stultified as they are in France Bonsoir. She is very academic and musical and wants to do Classics at university. There is a high chance she will want to stay in academia. I am not worried about where she will go with Classics, more concerned that she manages to achieve what she wants to. Hence my thread.

Bonsoir Wed 26-Dec-12 10:52:58

I would be very wary about encouraging any DC to do Latin and Greek at A-level and Classics at university. Why does she want to do this?

MordionAgenos Wed 26-Dec-12 10:50:33

I hope it works out. Why is she so desperate to leave where she is now (I won't name it but I do remember which one it is)? I thought you were very happy wth the school? Or is it a teenage thing? I know one girl who went there but who swapped to the college for A levels but this was because they don't offer music there and she didn't fancy going to the mixed gender school (which does). Will your DD2 go to the college too? How is it working out with her sister? I'm interested because of course it's the obvious option for DS but it does concern me a bit. Mainly because he is still a long way off and munchkin sized. I'm sure when he's a great hulking teen I will be less worried.

duchesse Wed 26-Dec-12 08:28:00

Thank you Rilla! DD2 is probably going to have to a self-directed (possibly with a tutor if we can find one) A level from next year as we can't find anywhere for her to do it other than the place she is already (which she is desperate to leave)

RillaBlythe Tue 25-Dec-12 19:40:06

I went about 10 (?) years ago & did introductor Greek. From what I remember the teaching was good & the social side was lots of fun too (lots of floppy haired public schoolboys tho, a type I was rather into at the time).

duchesse Tue 25-Dec-12 19:34:35

Just catching up with this thread- does anybody have any experience of the Bryanston summer course for classical Greek?

duchesse Mon 05-Nov-12 18:18:11

Alas Mordion I think not now. Have trawled their website and found nichts.

MordionAgenos Mon 05-Nov-12 10:11:19

Duchesse I may be imagining it but I think I read a while ago that they offer Latin and Greek at Kings in Ottery. This really was some while ago - before DD1 was in year 4 (she's now in year 10) but it might be worth a little investigate?

duchesse Mon 05-Nov-12 09:49:54

I have now emailed the classics dept at Ex Univ. Thanks for all suggestions!

duchesse Mon 05-Nov-12 00:11:13

And by "college" I meant Exeter (6th form) College. Sorry if there was confusion there.

duchesse Mon 05-Nov-12 00:10:15

Thank you all for your replies, both on- and offline. DD is doing GCSEs in Latin and Greek already, and wants to do Classics at university. Of all her GCSE subjects, they are the two firm stayers for A levels. She will in all likelihood do pretty much as well in every subject, so her criterion for choice is preference and what she wants to study. The only problem is the lack of A level Greek locally unless she stays at her current fee paying school, which she is rather keen not to do.

I will certainly follow up all suggestions! Thank you.

MordionAgenos Sun 04-Nov-12 11:24:50

Duchesse contact the university. They may be able to help. The head of the classics department might be a good person to contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now