Girls or Mixed Boarding Schools for Sixth Form

(84 Posts)
SRGR Thu 09-Aug-12 09:59:07

My d is not very academically inclined but very interested in music, drama and sports. Any suggestions for a good boarding school for girls or a coed with a balance of this

MrsWobble Mon 03-Dec-12 18:05:53

I have two daughters at charterhouse and am pleased with it. My girls have very different temperaments and I was concerned it might not suit the second but so far she seems to have settled quicker than her older sister. It has been a big change from their previous school - both of them have found that the boys have covered much more ground at gcse and they had to catch up. But the school recognises this as an issue and gives them time. The boarding/social side has been excellent and fits well with our family approach of benign neglect. My girls tend to stay in most weekends - I get the impression about half do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with. Which house has your daughter been offered?

SRGR Fri 14-Dec-12 18:20:00

Dear Wobble, re assuring to hear that u re happy with the school. Do you live locally or are you from overseas. Well, we are overseas and DD has been brought up in a protected sort of environment though we are not the conservative types but there are limits defined well within the Dcs minds. She is anxious if the school has a healthy safe feel with good pastoral care. How's the house mistress with the girls and which is a good house to choose from. Is there lot of peer pressure to handle?

wildirishrose Fri 14-Dec-12 18:46:01

Try Royal Masonic School for Girls, my niece had a amazing time there and came out with 11 A*

expatgal Fri 14-Dec-12 21:13:17

Its not just all the super bright chinese who get the sixth form places. Some kids joining sixth forms from overseas are actually children of expats, like my dc. There are quite a few like this who joined the school in september. Dc had offers, with healthy bursaries, from many schools but we chose one close to family which has turned out a blessing for all concerned as living in England rather than the annual visit is all very new to dc. Dc all settled and loves it.

Moominmammacat Sat 15-Dec-12 09:02:53

Queenswood in Hertofrdshire ... good for sport.

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Sat 15-Dec-12 09:09:49

Wellington College would be worth a look. It used to be fiercely competitive for girls to get in but now that it's co-ed it is much more inclusive.

MrsWobble Sun 16-Dec-12 20:37:28

Hi srgr. We are neither local nor from overseas but I get the impression that it's not far off 1/3 in each category in the 6th form. I think the pastoral care is good - I've no complaints. My girls are happy and I think there's the right balance between leaving them to sort their own friendship issues out - they are teenagers after all - and keeping an eye on them. I've always been impressed by the staff's detailed knowledge of my children's activities/interests/friendships.

I suggest you talk to the school if you have detailed questions about pastoral care - it's important you are happy and what I think is ok might not work for you. But as I said earlier, my girls are very different and the school has accommodated both with ease and made them both feel that they fit in.

NessaYork Tue 18-Dec-12 23:01:07

This won't help because I'm biased, but have you considered York? It's only 2 hours by train from London, boarding rates are much less expensive than London, it's a VERY safe community - certainly compared with London. And we have outstanding schools. As I said, I'm biased. I hope this helps.

ChiswickLu Fri 25-Jan-13 21:36:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now