transport costs 16 plus in buckinghamshire £964 a year as no local school.....

(34 Posts)
t1zzy Tue 07-Aug-12 21:18:35

Having to fork out £946 a year for my son to get to school as it is so far away and is not funded post 16..... he wants to continue going to the school he knows and loves but it is seriously expensive and i am afraid many families will not be able to pay and so children will lose out if they live in Our area.. So unfair I am soooo angry a Facebook group has been set up and O&S consulted I hope we have a good outcome to this unfair situation. "16 plus school transport group" Buckinghamshire (Iver Area)

t1zzy Sat 01-Sep-12 10:44:06

"
Well, Samantha, we are "gathering the troops" I spoke with another group today and understand their members will be coming on board here. Then we need to start sending complaints to the Council. I can't send a complaint myself because I hav
e applied for a "Public platform" and if I register a complaint the Council will argue that I am not entitled to do both !.. but everyone else can!.. first we need to be very clear what our complaint is, what the reasons for it are and be able to present clear evidence. Sally and I are working on this and so are some other folks !.. hopefully in the next few days we will have more members and be able to start our campaign." Johnathan Dodd Post 16 -transport facebook group

titchy Sun 02-Sep-12 10:01:00

I wonder what the qualifying criteria for free transport at 16+ will be? Simply to the nearest provider if over 3 miles? Even if that provider doesn't offer the course or subject the student wants?

t1zzy Tue 18-Dec-12 11:02:03
t1zzy Tue 18-Dec-12 11:02:17
chloe74 Tue 18-Dec-12 11:18:06

what about considering a moped?

SallyfromBucks Wed 13-Feb-13 16:40:42

For those in Buckinghamshire who are facing financial problems because of the high fees - This is the link for the 16 Plus School Transport Group campaign...

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/273963949371273/

Startail Wed 13-Feb-13 16:52:00

£700-900 plus bills her too for many children.
DDs would have had to pay if they'd gone to the grammar school, lots of sixth formers pay and some younger out of area DC do. I believe some Catholics do and some don't to go to faith schools

I don't know the exact rules, but it's a mess, it's only going to get worse as everyone is expected to stay on after 16.

sashh Thu 14-Feb-13 07:02:43

Doesn't that work out at about £5 a day per child?

So 4 children would be £20 - would that cover the cost of a taxi?

Would an 8 seater taxi cost less than £40?

I think I would be contacting other parents and getting quotes from taxi companies. For a regular fare you would get a discount.

Once the VI formers stop using the bus the LA will change its mind.

scaevola Thu 14-Feb-13 07:15:33

When Labour made it mandatory to stay in education until 17 then 18, they didn't do it by raising the school leaving age. You can still choose to leave school at 16 (but must then find work with training provision or some other approved education).

As they did not make school compulsory, this is an ideal loophole for LAs which don't provide post-compulsory free transport. It's an LA issue, so I expect local campaigning will be most effective - when are your next local elections?

Also, how much will it cost? And on the assumption there s no spare money in your Council budget, what would you cut to pay for this? The campaign will be much more effective if you gave good public answers to those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now