Graveney - Renting in catchment for admissions purposes

(307 Posts)
StockwellLiving Thu 07-Jun-12 17:31:16

I am thinking about renting for a 12 month period or so from this summer to cover up to beginning of Y7 for DD in Sept 2013. And then moving back out.

I know (most people think) renting is wrong (and often discussed here). I actually also think its wrong, but I also know others do it (and not sure why we should be the only one not "playing the game", and I do want to avoid my local catchment school (have no religion, no money (for indies), average DD with no chance of her passing selection tests).

I am not starting this thread to get into the rights and wrongs of it - I only want to ask the very specific question: Do "renters" get caught and are places actually withdrawn?

I am asking about Graveney, not in general. I know from threads on MN that some LAs do try and look into short-term renting. But somehow I think that this particular school and this particular LA don't really care (happy to have aspirational middle classes moving into catchment) ...... so do they look into whether the rental is permanent or not, whether the renters have an owned (proper) home (rented out for a year)

Just wondering as it seems its increasingly popular to do this ....

ClutchMyPearls Thu 28-Feb-13 11:23:50

savoire - children travel from several adjoining, or even ajoining the ajoining boroughs to Wandsworth to get to Graveney,
and
Chestnut Grove is now reputed to be an excellent school with an Outstanding status. I know parents with kids there who are extremey happy with it.

RE Chaucer in yr 7 - MyMeatballs - this is at Dunraven, not Graveney. Anyway, I have taken a closer interest. They studied part of the the opening and two character descriptions from The Prologue. They studied the original language and translated it, with help. DC did 2 homework essays based on this: one about what information about pilgrimages and poetic pastoral language could be gleaned form the text - including supporting evidence with quotes in ME. The second comparing the characters, especially morality, and with supporting quotes in ME, and saying which you would prefer as a travelling companion.

This links to the rest of the year's work as follows: In Oliver Twist they also looked at character analysis and finding quotes to support your conclusions. So a through line about character study and using quotes as evidence.

They are now doing 2 sonnets - one Petrarch, one Shakespeare, again looking at pastoral poetic language. They have apparantly studied a section of Beowulf (that passed me by) , and are looking at the evolution of language over Beowulf, TCT and now the sonnets, all describing the same sort of stuff.

So, no, not the GCSE curriculum of studying the texts in depth, but using the texts to develop building blocks of literary understanding. And I think it is good to encourage children to see a wide variety of texts as accessible and not daunting from early on.

They didn't read the whole of O Twist (though DC did), they read a series of key narrative chapters.

Meanwhile a mixed ability group (or rather students who are good at readiing books from a range of ability streams) are all reading the same 3 books for a borough reading challenge competition between several schools - debating the best book, or something - for World Book Day.

whistleblowers Tue 19-Mar-13 19:34:14

Typical right wing behaviour manipulating the system and then cutely behaving as though it's slightly "cheeky" and not really fraud.

prh47bridge Tue 19-Mar-13 20:33:53

Do you seriously think this is about politics? Do you really believe that left wingers don't try to manipulate the system?

gazzalw Tue 19-Mar-13 21:55:07

I wonder what StockwellLiving did in the end and if her DC got in?

And you are right prh47bridge. When it comes to education principles seem to fly out of the window regardless of ideological stance. I wonder what the Millibands will do when they get to that point in time??? Hmmmmm.....

SWandStressed Wed 20-Mar-13 10:51:34

I suppose we will never know - but we all know people (perhaps one is SL) who have done that. I just asked Graveney Lady in the othe thread about whether Graveney ever does withdraw places.....

tiggytape Wed 20-Mar-13 11:20:00

Graveneylady is new to the school having only joined in the last academic year but there have been past cases where places are removed (one poster here had their neighbours sheepishly return from the rented house minus the Graveney place they'd been after although they were very philosophical about the whole thing)

I don't expect they catch them all or perhaps even most of them. I expect a lot of people go to great lengths to cover their tracks.
But even if they only catch a few and strip them of their places, the consequences of losing a school place and then having no offer are so awful that hopefully it would make many parents think twice even if the risk of being caught was small.
The risk depends on whether others will find out / suspect and report you more than the school / council checks being brilliant so it is a nail biting ride. And the place can be removed even after September so it is a long term risk too.

pot39 Sat 05-Apr-14 18:47:59

Graveney is fine if you are very bright.
Only average if you aren't
I think someone earlier pointed this out.
We live 2 miles away in S london and in 2005 our ds scored 97% in Wandsworth Test and failed to make it in to the extension class and therefore Graveney as a whole as we were beyond its catchment area.
Would never have done the Graveney shuffle for moral reasons.
He WAS accepted by one of the outstanding schools in Wandsworth and has loved every moment, and his brother followed on sibling policy, loves it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now