Anglo European School Ingatestone

(12 Posts)
Blondie1984 Tue 11-Dec-12 22:37:36

Hi

I went to the Anglo and honestly enjoyed every minute of it. Their insisting that the majority of students take at least two languages at GCSE really helped me to stand out when it came to uni applications, they offer not only a-levels but also the international baccalaureate and offer lots of different trips abroad for students - my sister lived in Germany for 2 months for example.
I also really liked the mix of students, from different backgrounds, areas etc. And come on, what kid doesn't want to go to the school that Plan B went to?!

Hajjihajjo Mon 10-Dec-12 21:57:29

Lol, meant first choice above :-)

Hajjihajjo Mon 10-Dec-12 19:42:47

Just came across this. My 12 year old attends the Anglo and we could not be any happier. He travels an hour to get there and, this being his second year, it has become just part of his school routine. He loves the Anglo as much as we do, especially their trips abroad :-) He is looking forward to his 2-week exchange visit to France in 2013. Our second son has also put down Aglo European as his first choice and we hope he gets a place next year..... As to the Ofsted report, when we attended the open evening in 2010, the two head teachers made a good deal about their assessment and made sure to let us know that they consider their school to be WAY better than satisfactory, BUT that they were not ignoring the learning points from the report. I was so impressed by their obvious passion for the school that there was no doubt we would put the school down as our second choice. And we have no regrets so far :-))

Nibbi Wed 31-Oct-12 09:40:02

Anglo European School, Ingatestone - Just wondered if there are any Anglo European parents out there? Have completed my research and reached conclusion that this is probably our 1st choice school. However, can't shake off that uneasy feeling from the "satisfactory" ofstead report a couple of years ago. My impression is that the school is good at many things but has become a resting house for some lame duck teachers who couldnt' be bothered teaching to a good standard-whilst other teachers teach well and even to an outstanding level. Presumably the school has taken issue with these unsatisfactory teachers and given the much needed shake up and indeed earning this unsatisfactory report has given the school leadership generally a shake up. This may mean that the school will do even better going forward. Has anyone any comments that may help me. Thanks.

aconcagua Thu 22-Mar-12 15:04:50

Funny but I am equally confused. My son has a place at Anglo European School in Ingatestone which he is supposed to fill next month. I am however baffled why the school says that its last ofsted report was in 2008 when they got a good and the outstanding sixth form...when actually its most recent report was last year when it was given a 3 for overall effectiveness. We visited the school and liked it and only saw the report which pulled school down on teaching effectivess after. But I cant get away from feeling uneasy about this and wondering whether its worth moving to Ingatestone for this school...

onceagain Fri 07-Oct-11 14:25:46

I'm surprised the ofsted is only at "satisfactory" I thought the school was considered quite desirable. I certainly know of two families based in london who went to some pains to get their dc in as they considered it much better option than their alternatives in north london (and they meet the language requirements etc).
Very strange that it wasnt mentioned at the open evening - but even stranger if no one asked about it at the open evening. Was there no Q&A session?

toolatetobackoutnow Fri 07-Oct-11 13:40:39

thanks mumslife, a lot of children travel there from all over London according to their travel plan- I just wonder if parents are going to be so keen to choose a school an hour away if its percieved (rightly or wrongly) as only satisfactory. We would only scrape in on criteria 4 if we were lucky- or fewer children applied!

Any Anglo parents out there?

mumslife Tue 04-Oct-11 20:31:02

I do know someone who went there at 11 at senior school level it was about an hours journey. She got a place as she was fluent in spanish as well as english but she only lasted a year the journey was too much for her

toolatetobackoutnow Tue 04-Oct-11 13:20:59

Went to the open evening- seems like a good school but the recent OFSTED is down to "satisfactory"- the school did appeal but I don't think they were successful. It wasn't mentioned by either headteacher during their presentation which was odd.

Does anyone have any other experience to share? Don't want to be put off but its a long way to travel and we have a good school nearby. I like the international ethos of the school but don't want to compromise on achievement.

stillconfused Thu 30-Sep-10 12:15:59

Thank you animula - that's exactly the impression I have gained so far. We are going to the open evening tonight and DS is quite keen (although I'm wondering if he's had enough of 11+ preparations and it's a welcome alternative for him...)

animula Thu 30-Sep-10 11:48:16

I've only heard good things about the school. They lose a fair few students to the grammar schools, at 11+ and then again at VI form, but it seems to be a liberal, well-performing comprehensive, with an interesting curriculum and exciting range of opportunities.

stillconfused Thu 30-Sep-10 09:16:11

Just wondering if anyone has any experience to share? It is an option for us even though it would mean getting the train and a long day. DS is also taking 11+ for super selectives in the area of which one he was not too impressed with when we went to visit... journey time for the one he is not too keen on would be equally long as going to Ingatestone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now