Why isn't there a male pill?

(5 Posts)
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 24-Apr-13 11:00:13

Really? I'm not sure that men as a gender are any more forgetful than women as a gender. Taking the pill is just a habit, like cleaning teeth or something.

scientifically, I assume the "leap" from a male pill to a male injection or implant would be simpler than the leap from no pill to pill, the biology being the hardest bit and the delivery mechanism not too bad.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 24-Apr-13 07:32:53

Why do you think men would forget it?

Because we're rubbish!

In all seriousness, men seem to have trouble remembering even the most basic things. Can't even remember to bring a condom most of the time. We are a simple species!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 23-Apr-13 23:27:06

Thanks pedro! Never thought of pg as a time of infertility but I see what you mean?

Why do you think men would forget it?

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sun 21-Apr-13 19:53:14

It's a science thing. Definitely not social, before the pill men had the primary contraception method with condoms.

It's very difficult to suppress the millions of sperm produced by a man every day. On the other hand, during a woman's fertile life, there is a specific condition with which she is infertile..... pregnancy! The pill mimics the hormones in pregnancy which make a woman infertile during those 9 months and it is simply easier to manufacture a pill to do this than it is to come up with a completely new way of temporarily sterilising a man (plus we'd never remember to take the damn thing). Although I understand that scientists are working on it!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 18-Apr-13 08:50:32

I would love to know from a biological perspective, is it much harder? If so, is it because sperm is constantly manufactured whereas eggs are released periodically? Or because it's easier to disrupt implantation than anything else?

Or is it not "first principles" biology driving this but more the sociology ie as the woman is the one who goes through pregnancy, it makes sense for her to have more options to prevent it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now