Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What is the age gap between yourself and your partner?

(87 Posts)
squinney Mon 30-Sep-13 15:58:23

and what would you consider to be too old or too young?

DH is 14 days older than me.

I've stuck within a few years either way.

I have had a major, major work crush on a man 15 years older than me and wouldn't think twice if I was single. But he is very mature, caring, thoughtful fit as a fit fittie & handsome. He also has youngish tastes. Our other desk buddy was 2 years younger than him, but always seemed like an old man.

Crownjewel Mon 30-Sep-13 19:42:26

DP is 10 years older than me, and neither of us have ever considered the 'age gap'.

That said, XP is 19 years older and it wasn't an issue either, in fact we're still very good friends - the reason it doesn't work out between us was an, 'expectation gap'.

I have never dated anybody younger than me though (I agree with previous posters about the male mind taking longer to mature grin)

FellatioNelson Mon 30-Sep-13 19:42:57

DH is five years older than me, and my ex-H was four years older. I've never had a younger boyfriend, and oldest fling/shag was 18 years older, when I was 23 and he was 41. He wanted to date me properly but tbh I just found him too old for me. I can't imagine being with anyone more than ten years older/younger but I wouldn't rule it out in theory.

cupcakeicing Mon 30-Sep-13 19:44:28

DH is 8 years older, we have different memories of children's TV programmes but other than that we are soulmates.

fluffyraggies Mon 30-Sep-13 19:47:45

DH is 10 years younger than me grin

XH was 2 years older.

It helps that i look younger than i am and he looks older than he is. Well it helps me, anyway, as i am shallow enough to worry about that kind of stuff smile

My DP is 21 years older than me. We have been together for 3 years and getting married soon. The age gap has not yet presented an issue smile

TaudrieTattoo Mon 30-Sep-13 20:24:54

DP is fifteen years older than me. Age gap a complete non-issue. He's great. I completely adore him.

STBXH was three years older and just about ready for his pipe and slippers.

It's not what's on the birth certificate, it's who they are as a person.

thegreylady Mon 30-Sep-13 20:34:28

My dh is 8 years older than me-it works well for us.
My dd is 13 months older than her dh and that is fine too.
My dh was 12 years older than his ex and she found that a problem.She is now married to a man 10 years younger than her-they seem fine.

WingDefence Mon 30-Sep-13 20:35:56

I'm 36 too but my DH is 52 so 16yrs between us. We met at work when I was 24 and he was 40 and finally got together when I was 29 and he was 45.

He's wonderful and we have a very happy marriage. FWIW there was a similar age gap between his parents.

36 and 44 is not that much of a gap to me smile

WingDefence Mon 30-Sep-13 20:36:44

It's not what's on the birth certificate, it's who they are as a person.

^^ This smile

MrsPnut Mon 30-Sep-13 20:39:51

OH is 5 years older than me and I don't even notice apart from pulling his leg about being an old codger. We like the same type of music and have mostly the same reference points from our childhood.

queenbitchapparently Mon 30-Sep-13 20:56:27

My ex husband was 9 years older than me. I have had a bf that was 12 years older than me.
My current partner is a couple of years older.
I don't really have an upper age limit but would not date anyone significantly younger than me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now